OT: Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The moves were made because Germany wasn't paying its share according to Trump. Yet the two places mentioned pay less than Germany. I'm sure you're much more knowledgeable about the types of units but the move wasn't made for military reasons (obviously). If they had been made for military reasons, wouldn't they have been done before now? What has changed (based upon your superior knowledge) that would cause the move now? Looking forward to your answer.
Poland spends a greater percentage of their GDP on defense than Germany and there is the geographical detail that it borders the Baltic states and sovereign Russian territory. The basing option for the fighters in Italy and proposed rotational Army units in the Balkan/Black Sea region put those forces closer to current military fault lines than their current basing in Germany. The headquarters move to Belgium would collocate USEUCOM and SHAPE. Then there are the decades of substandard spending by Germany and its (according to German media) woeful readiness rate.

What has changed is that the US decided to call out countries for repeatedly and willfully failing to meet obligations. European countries have done that for decades without repercussions.

Reactions: predhead1

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
Poland spends a greater percentage of their GDP on defense than Germany and there is the geographical detail that it borders the Baltic states and sovereign Russian territory. The basing option for the fighters in Italy and proposed rotational Army units in the Balkan/Black Sea region put those forces closer to current military fault lines than their current basing in Germany. The headquarters move to Belgium would collocate USEUCOM and SHAPE. Then there are the decades of substandard spending by Germany and its (according to German media) woeful readiness rate.

What has changed is that the US decided to call out countries for repeatedly and willfully failing to meet obligations. European countries have done that for decades without repercussions.

So, help me out here. Based upon a Google search Italy is 1 hour closer to Israel than Germany. How does that help our forces? It's hard to imagine the one hour making a difference in deployment.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So, help me out here. Based upon a Google search Italy is 1 hour closer to Israel than Germany. How does that help our forces? It's hard to imagine the one hour making a difference in deployment.
Depends on what kind of assets and the reason why. If your concern is protecting Poland, then obviously having the troops already there makes a difference.

If you are talking about Air Force assets an hour closer to a target can be a big deal. Can be the difference between a target still being there or not. Also can make a pretty big difference when it comes to needing to refuel, etc.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Spent the afternoon with a kid I knew since he was 4 got a bereavement leave for his father's hospice/ funeral.

Last edited by a moderator:

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Now for something completely different. Friday night I saw 5 meteors probably from Perseid and 2 much shorter probably Delta Aquariids. Last night I went out again and did not see any of them. Did get some test photos. Was editing this morning and heard/felt what was like an outflow burst from a thunderstorm hit my house, then my 2 monitors began to sway. Sky was clear and windless.

Called the neighbor across the road and the first thing he said instead of hello was 'Earthquake".

A 8:07 there was a 5.1 earthquake about 100 miles away in Sparta NC. My computer clock was 8:08.

Hopefully I learned something so I can make a better photo (the full res is of course better than message board allows)

upload_2020-8-9_11-51-40.png

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Now for something completely different. Friday night I saw 5 meteors probably from Perseid and 2 much shorter probably Delta Aquariids. Last night I went out again and did not see any of them. Did get some test photos. Was editing this morning and heard/felt what was like an outflow burst from a thunderstorm hit my house, then my 2 monitors began to sway. Sky was clear and windless.

Called the neighbor across the road and the first thing he said instead of hello was 'Earthquake".

A 8:07 there was a 5.1 earthquake about 100 miles away in Sparta NC. My computer clock was 8:08.

Hopefully I learned something so I can make a better photo (the full res is of course better than message board allows)

View attachment 359327
Liked

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
Depends on what kind of assets and the reason why. If your concern is protecting Poland, then obviously having the troops already there makes a difference.

If you are talking about Air Force assets an hour closer to a target can be a big deal. Can be the difference between a target still being there or not. Also can make a pretty big difference when it comes to needing to refuel, etc.

You were pretty specific earlier about the moves. Why do you think this move was made?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Pic of the squirrel reminds me that I guess I have a "pet" skunk in an old shed. Mr. Adz has seen him a lot but I've only seen him once--says he lives with a possum, which I've never seen, but if they found love together so be it. One of them did make a meal out of a cabbage plant (I guess, maybe it was bugs. It was just a volunteer in the compost pile--still sad). He didn't seem too concerned the time he saw me and doesn't appear to be rabid in any way but I keep my eyes open. I'm kind of surprised that squirrels and skunks were never domesticated. Skunks it's kind of obvious that the scent would put you off but people tamed ferrets and their smell is awful.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Thanks for putting up with my sharing ... I saw this rascal coming out of the hay field this evening and at a distance it looked like it had a golf ball in its' mouth. The angle is terrible because it came right up to my deck. Can't believe I got inside to grab camera and still got a couple shots of this Fox squirrel

View attachment 359497
Fox squirrel is SWOL

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm going to give COVID this much credit, it's helping us to appreciate simple things. I hadn't gotten a haircut in 3 wks and oh....so good.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I needed one just as they shut Tennessee down. I ended up going almost 3 months and my hair grows fast and thick. The day it got cut was amazing.

My hair also grows fast and thick. I let it grow for months this spring into summer. It was as thick as I think I've ever let it get. It literally looked like I had a helmet of hair. I had my wife cut it to the specs I used when I was in the military and it felt.so.good. I felt like my head had been freed from a wild bush or something. It's the little things in life.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My hair also grows fast and thick. I let it grow for months this spring into summer. It was as thick as I think I've ever let it get. It literally looked like I had a helmet of hair. I had my wife cut it to the specs I used when I was in the military and it felt.so.good. I felt like my head had been freed from a wild bush or something. It's the little things in life.
Yeah and I dont cut mine real short and it looked like you had shaved a St. Bernard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad