OT: Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
No. It was near Bangor, which is a little northwest of Paw Paw off of I-94 in SW Michigan.

If you kept going that way from Paw Paw to Bangor, you would end up in South Haven on Lake Michigan, which is straight across from Waukegan, IL.
Reason I asked...that guy whose life keeps paralleling yours (First Love Tim aka Dune) and a guy I dated a few years later in college (Bird Guy/Twin--Craig) both go there for holidays. Tim goes to Leland, I think his wife's family has a cabin there. Craig goes to TC because he used to live there. As such, I have seen many lovely photos from the area over the past 40 years or so. Thought it would be funny if you had actually crossed paths there.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Reason I asked...that guy whose life keeps paralleling yours (First Love Tim aka Dune) and a guy I dated a few years later in college (Bird Guy/Twin--Craig) both go there for holidays. Tim goes to Leland, I think his wife's family has a cabin there. Craig goes to TC because he used to live there. As such, I have seen many lovely photos from the area over the past 40 years or so. Thought it would be funny if you had actually crossed paths there.

I have been to a lot of the LP, but not from Grand Rapids up to Traverse City. I did fish in Houghton Lake in 1980. That is probably 40 miles away.

I have wanted to go to Saugatuck - Grand Haven and Holland for several years. They have the nicest US inland beach (not in Florida or Hawaii).

Reactions: Adz

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I am glad that I didn't go to TC. They had a big outbreak of COVID-19 from people tying up their boats together on Torch Lake.

I saw 4 or 5 boats do that on "my" lake. I stayed away from all of them before, during and after.

A crowded lake party with hundreds of people has been linked to an outbreak of coronavirus in Michigan

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I am glad that I didn't go to TC. They had a big outbreak of COVID-19 from people tying up their boats together on Torch Lake.

I saw 4 or 5 boats do that on "my" lake. I stayed away from all of them before, during and after.

A crowded lake party with hundreds of people has been linked to an outbreak of coronavirus in Michigan
Honestly neither of them would be part of a lake party scene, unless there was a band Tim really wanted to see playing (and right now he's smart enough to stay away). Craig and his twin usually go by themselves to tool around so they're basically just one person talking to himself.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Contacted an old HS friend and he's a (legit) PPE supplier. He wants me to help sell his back-end inventory, sigh.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If you can get your hands on it Baked Custard Kit Kats from Japan. 350F in an oven 3 minutes, the kit kats becomes cruchy and taste like creme brulee. Put on top of ice cream yum.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
If you can get your hands on it Baked Custard Kit Kats from Japan. 350F in an oven 3 minutes, the kit kats becomes cruchy and taste like creme brulee. Put on top of ice cream yum.
Goalie Boy brought a big ole box of "alternative" Kit Kats home from Japan for Christmas one year. I don't remember this one--must be new. It does sound good. Green Tea flavor was actually pretty good, as well.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I looked west last night but it must have been below my horizon, got up at 4:30 this morning, went to a good place but could not spot it. Had great view of Venus and a decent sunrise.

Photos from this morning.
upload_2020-7-15_13-29-5.png

upload_2020-7-15_13-32-29.png

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If you want to try to see it, here is a chart I grabbed earlier today:

960x0.jpg

It is pouring here. Yes, look under the Big Dipper. The NW is a bad direction for me. A big park with big trees is in my way. (plus a street light)

I remember Comet West, Kohoutek and went to Jamaica to see Halley's in 1986. I never catch Encke!

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I got a photo of Hale-Bopp in 1997 with a film camera. Never tried that before and I took a roll of photos at different settings. I would not have been surprised to get back a bunch of black prints. Sent the roll off and several days later I was astounded. The full moon was behind my back and a silhouette of a barn was across the way. Of course I could not see colors with my eyes through the view finder. There are likely still reverberations bouncing around the planet of my primal yell when I saw this.

HaleBoppTiff.jpg

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Thanks

That photo was @ 10 PM. Even though I had not spotted the comet naked-eye I knew my sensor could capture things I can not see. I was taking 13 second exposures from a solid tripod. Once I saw it on the camera back I knew that there was something to work with and only then did I see it through binoculars. If things line up tonight I hope to have something really remarkable.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I got a photo of Hale-Bopp in 1997 with a film camera. Never tried that before and I took a roll of photos at different settings. I would not have been surprised to get back a bunch of black prints. Sent the roll off and several days later I was astounded. The full moon was behind my back and a silhouette of a barn was across the way. Of course I could not see colors with my eyes through the view finder. There are likely still reverberations bouncing around the planet of my primal yell when I saw this.

View attachment 354081

I shot a whole roll of 400 film for Halley's. I would have used 800, but my brother warned me that it can get fogged by some X-ray machines. I changed the F stop a few times and the duration. I finally used my cable to hold the lens open for 5 and 10 seconds. I need to find those photos somewhere. I can't believe that it has been 34 years.

Great photos everybody!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
For a gal whose dad TAUGHT photography, I learned so little about it. Those are great shots, though.

Heading to Alabama tonight. Probably be able to get a better look since it's so much darker there. We went outside last night to look for it with binoculars, but there was too much cloud cover.

We did see something fairly odd. There were 2 items in the sky with blinking lights--could definitely tell they were lights and not stars so one would assume they're airplanes--and we live relatively close to the airport. They weren't in the same location, one was more SW and the other was NNE, both at 75 - 80 degrees up in the sky. They didn't move the whole time we were out there, 15 minutes or so. There were plenty of airplanes that were moving, so I don't think it was an optical illusion. Anyone have any idea what was going on?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
For a gal whose dad TAUGHT photography, I learned so little about it. Those are great shots, though.

Heading to Alabama tonight. Probably be able to get a better look since it's so much darker there. We went outside last night to look for it with binoculars, but there was too much cloud cover.

We did see something fairly odd. There were 2 items in the sky with blinking lights--could definitely tell they were lights and not stars so one would assume they're airplanes--and we live relatively close to the airport. They weren't in the same location, one was more SW and the other was NNE, both at 75 - 80 degrees up in the sky. They didn't move the whole time we were out there, 15 minutes or so. There were plenty of airplanes that were moving, so I don't think it was an optical illusion. Anyone have any idea what was going on?
They're keeping tabs on how the experiment is going. Getting ready to put a big fat red F on the report card and move on to the next planet on their list.

Could the First US 'Unknown' Coronavirus Case Have Originated From Outer Space?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I have a possible explanation based on what happened to me. (What color or colors were the blinking lights?)

About 30 years ago, I was looking out my upstairs window that faces the west. It was a sunny summer Saturday afternoon with no clouds in the blue sky.I saw a silver object in the sky. It did not appear to move. I pulled out my binoculars. After about 5 or 10 minutes of watching it, I realized that it was getting closer. After another few minutes, I could see some projections from the silver object. A few minutes later, I realized that they were wings. I had spotted an silver colored airliner at high altitude that was probably 50 or 60 miles away and had the sun glinting off of it in my direction. It went past me and I could see a contrail from my back yard. It continued to the east, as it wasn't stopping in Milwaukee. Maybe it was going to Detroit?

I think that you had the same thing happen to you at night. It is harder to judge distances and relative motion then. It is easier to see a light in a dark sky.

Usually when I see an airplane, it is over me in 5 minutes or less. My vision was also better 30 years ago. I was 20/200 the last time I had a vision test. It is time again and probably worse. (I am glad that I didn't report a silver ball that seemed to hang in the sky, which is a frequent UFO sighting.) BTW, I grew up 10 miles from Wright-Paterson AFB, so I am used to seeing and hearing airplanes of all kinds. I have seen F-104s, C-5As, B-52s and one SR-71. The last one was in Milwaukee because it lost an engine and had to land some where.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Ah, very well could have been a plane going that direction. I never thought it was a UFO, it looked too much like an airplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad