OT: Off-Topic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It's not ironic or up in the air. And Snopes is not the source. They link their sources, ultimately the company who's cars they are and the people storing them.

What are Jay Black's credentials to speak on the topic or historic level of accuracy in his reporting?
Don't get your news from stupid facebook posts.
I didn't even bother to read the link since it was Snopes, with their "credibility".
Like FB "fact-checkers", they often skew/twist/only represent a partial angle of the entire picture, much like the garbage/programming tool that is MSM. Set up to control narratives, to enslave the citizens & let the powers that be (not the installed puppets) horde resources of our planet on every level. It's literally called tv "programming" for a reason. They don't even try to hide it.

Also, I'm not saying FB post is some definitive source, I just thought the post was interesting.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I didn't even bother to read the link since it was Snopes, with their "credibility".
Like FB "fact-checkers", they often skew/twist/only represent a partial angle of the entire picture, much like the garbage/programming tool that is MSM. Set up to control narratives, to enslave the citizens & let the powers that be (not the installed puppets) horde resources of our planet on every level. It's literally called tv "programming" for a reason. They don't even try to hide it.

Also, I'm not saying FB post is some definitive source, I just thought the post was interesting.
So just to recap:

My source is the production manager at the lot housing the cars.
REPORTING. What will become of the clumsy Autolib that has piled up in Romorantin’s “cemetery”?
REPORTAGE. Que vont devenir les encombrantes Autolib' entassées dans le "cimetière" de Romorantin ?
https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...duction.d4bd52366268355c5e815bdee1bdcfa1.html

Your source is some guy in California.

And your conclusion is that these are in some way equal? Or yours is more valuable? Or it's ok to share blatant lies because "you thought it was interesting"? (super weird to just admit you're ok with spreading lies after a weird rant about garbage/programming/controlling narratives)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
So just to recap:

My source is the production manager at the lot housing the cars.
REPORTING. What will become of the clumsy Autolib that has piled up in Romorantin’s “cemetery”?
REPORTAGE. Que vont devenir les encombrantes Autolib' entassées dans le "cimetière" de Romorantin ?
https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...duction.d4bd52366268355c5e815bdee1bdcfa1.html

Your source is some guy in California.

And your conclusion is that these are in some way equal? Or yours is more valuable? Or it's ok to share blatant lies because "you thought it was interesting"? (super weird to just admit you're ok with spreading lies after a weird rant about garbage/programming/controlling narratives)
K

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It would really benefit you to hear out what he's saying.

It seems like you're in the rabbit hole pretty deep, but it's never too late to come out.
We like our bunker.

upload_2021-5-18_0-9-45.png

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So...uh...MOVING ON...

Let's talk whiskey for a minute.
Having gotten tired of spending $50 on 3 cocktails at a fancy bar and also not wanting to go out too often during a pandemic I've become a pandemic bartender.

My current collection of whiskeys on the shelf are...(in order of favorite to least favorite)

1. Aberfeldy Highland Single Malt Scotch Whiskey 12 (A solid choice to have neat, on the rocks or even to mix in a cocktail)
2. Manatawney Still Works Maple Whiskey (From Philadelphia, PA. It's like...really good.)
3. Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2009 Scotch (This is my special occasion scotch. Only on the rocks or neat.)
4. Larceny Kentucky Straight Bourbon (One of the best bourbons I've had. It's $20 a bottle and tastes better than many $40 and $50 whiskeys I've had)

I'm looking for good recommendations for a rye, and Bulleit just doesn't do it for me. Crazy enough, Ed Belfour has started to distill his own whiskey with his kids.
Welcome to Belfour Spirits
I'm debating buying a bottle of that but it's $72 to $85 a bottle. Also buying something that Ed Belfour profits from feels like I'm betraying the Winged Wheel...

I'm also looking for recommendations for a good Japanese whiskey to try. Previously I've enjoyed Suntori Toki as a good "everyday" whiskey. Another favorite of mine was the Hibiki Harmony whiskey which is another special occasion kind of whiskey ($100 a bottle), but I'm open to trying something else in this category.

What are some of your favorites?

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
My brother is a fan of whiskey and scotch, and is friends with a distributor that sometimes makes recommendations or lets him try new varieties.

Our most recent success isn't new by any means, but has extremely limited availability. It's Makers Mark Mint Julep. Not the mixed drink; the whiskey blended as their own liqueur. Apparently you either have to know somebody in Kentucky or are on their small list of distributors that can get it. Very very smooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
My brother is a fan of whiskey and scotch, and is friends with a distributor that sometimes makes recommendations or lets him try new varieties.

Our most recent success isn't new by any means, but has extremely limited availability. It's Makers Mark Mint Julep. Not the mixed drink; the whiskey blended as their own liqueur. Apparently you either have to know somebody in Kentucky or are on their small list of distributors that can get it. Very very smooth.

I'll keep my eyes out for it. I live in Dallas now and there's some pretty good places in town to find rare whiskeys. After seeing that Detroit just extended Blashill I get the feeling I'm going to be visiting these stores a lot soon...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm also looking for recommendations for a good Japanese whiskey to try. Previously I've enjoyed Suntori Toki as a good "everyday" whiskey. Another favorite of mine was the Hibiki Harmony whiskey which is another special occasion kind of whiskey ($100 a bottle), but I'm open to trying something else in this category.

What are some of your favorites?

You already covered both my recommendations. Both of those were recommended to me by a big whisky drinker and that's as far as I've got with the Japanese variety.

Unfortunately for other recommendations, I'm kind of useless because I've been buying local distilleries for years.

But I just wanted to note how much I appreciate this post and if you had any brands I should try, that you didn't already list, next time I make my way to the store.

Finally, I saw saw that Belfour brand awhile back and, uhh, that Google search lead to a video of him getting arrested for passing out drunk in a hotel hallway. Hope he's doing better now. I've been tempted to buy it just to have the bottle, as I was a huge Belfour fan growing up.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You already covered both my recommendations. Both of those were recommended to me by a big whisky drinker and that's as far as I've got with the Japanese variety.

Unfortunately for other recommendations, I'm kind of useless because I've been buying local distilleries for years.

But I just wanted to note how much I appreciate this post and if you had any brands I should try, that you didn't already list, next time I make my way to the store.

Finally, I saw saw that Belfour brand awhile back and, uhh, that Google search lead to a video of him getting arrested for passing out drunk in a hotel hallway. Hope he's doing better now. I've been tempted to buy it just to have the bottle, as I was a huge Belfour fan growing up.

If you're looking for Scotch or Bourbon then I'm your huckleberry. I'm still learning my way around Tequilas after moving to Texas, so I mostly stick to Casamigos there, but Don Julio is pretty good as well.

Scotch:
Talisker 10 - It's on the pricier side for a bottle now but it's definitely worth it if you like a peaty scotch. I'll take this over Laphroaig any day.
Ardbeg 10 - Another solid Isley peaty scotch. Less expensive than the Talisker but of comparable quality. If you ever make a penicillin cocktail*, this is the scotch to use as the float.
Glenlivet 12 - A classic. It's smooth and well balanced. Not too peaty and smokey, not too spicey. It's a good intro level single malt scotch and is at a good price going from $35 to $40.
Balvenie 12 doublewood cask - A little on the sweeter side of scotches but after I tried this in a flight I very seriously debated buying a bottle then and there. I'll probably pick this up in the very near future.

Bourbon:
Buffalo trace - Really versatile. Really smooth, and at a good price point. This one is great for a Without a Trace cocktail** as well.
Basil Hayden Kentucky Straight Bourbon - Incredibly versatile bourbon. Straight, on the rocks, in your favorite cocktail.
Treaty Oak Ghost Hill Texas Bourbon - If you want a bourbon with a good kick but some sweetness, this is the way to go.
Hudson Whiskey Bright Lights Bourbon - I'm not a fan of their other whiskeys but this one feels like they got the recipe just right. The flavor is what I expect from a bourbon.

* Penicillin cocktail
2 oz Dewars White Label (Or another blended scotch that you prefer. Johnny Walker Red is fine for this cocktail. Monkey Shoulder might also do the trick.)
3/4 oz honey syrup (1 part water, 1 part honey, heat and mix)
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice (Not that shit you get at the grocery store in the yellow lemon shaped bottle.)

Put in a shaker with ice, shake thoroughly, pour over ice.

Now the finish...
1/2 oz of a peaty scotch like Ardbeg, Laphroaig or Talisker 10 on top. The trick isn't to just dump it in there and mix it. Pour it in like it's a glaze. Maybe give it that little zigzag pattern over the ice.
Garnish with a lemon wedge and/or a piece of candied ginger.

Anyone who says that scotch isn't meant to be enjoyed any other way but on the rocks or neat needs to try one of these. It'll change their mind.

** Without a trace cocktail

2 oz Buffalo Trace bourbon. (Any Buffalo Trace bourbon will do. Get crazy with a special edition if you like.)
1/2 oz Vanilla infused simple syrup. To make this it's 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Heat it up, mix it, then store it in your fridge. (or use a cheat code and just use Monin vanilla syrup. Whatever.) Increase or decrease the quantity of this syrup as per your liking.
Dash of orange bitters

Mix in a glass with no ice.
Garnish with orange peel.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
To celebrate!

To uh..."celebrate" the hiring of our new old coach I ventured out to Total Wine and picked up 3 bottles of whiskey I hadn't tried before.

The Glenrothes 12 (This has been on my wishlist for a minute now.)
First Call Kentucky Straight Bourbon (They offered to let me try it in store and it was only $20 for a bottle, and I'm pretty happy with that first sip)
The Widow Jane Rye. (I accidentally grabbed this one instead of the Widow Jane aged in apple wood barrels...)

You'll have my report on one or two of them tomorrow! Maybe all three if I get wild.

Reactions: Bench
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad