OT: Off-Topic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Clearly most of us are in the wrong industries lol. Like that Cash Me Outside girl who made $1M in 6 hrs, while we put on our clown suits & drive to/from work.

The "formula by %" just sells it.

upload_2021-5-13_19-57-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-13_19-55-32.png
    upload_2021-5-13_19-55-32.png
    313.9 KB · Views: 3

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, not fun. Mine is doing a little better but still under the weather a bit. Hope yours has recovered!

puked pizza across the kitchen floor today around noon. Been puke free since, though. Never had a fever or anything, really think it was just bad milk. Pitched it, got a new gallon.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
puked pizza across the kitchen floor today around noon. Been puke free since, though. Never had a fever or anything, really think it was just bad milk. Pitched it, got a new gallon.

Woof! What a waste of pizza!

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
If you're looking for the best sushis and sashimis in the Detroit Metro, then check out Noble Fish in Royal Oak/Clawson area. You can also get some super fresh cuts of seafood to cook if you're the sort of philistine that doesn't like sushis and sashimis.

Spot on brother! I keep forgetting about Noble Fish. The real tragedy is i live about 5 miles from it and have yet to try it. Oy. Now it's on the "must do" list for the weekend.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Spot on brother! I keep forgetting about Noble Fish. The real tragedy is i live about 5 miles from it and have yet to try it. Oy. Now it's on the "must do" list for the weekend.

Another good spot for sushi is Bluefin Sushi in Grosse Pointe Farms. It's a bit of a hike but it used to be a really great spot. I haven't been back to Michigan for a minute so I'm not sure if it survived the pandemic.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
been thinking about putting some rear window louvers on my car but was kind of skeptical. Do you just remove it any time you want to clean the window? That sounds like a pain in the ass. Anyone got any experience with them?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
been thinking about putting some rear window louvers on my car but was kind of skeptical. Do you just remove it any time you want to clean the window? That sounds like a pain in the ass. Anyone got any experience with them?

My experience is anyone who had them in Michigan immediately regretted it for at least 6 months of the year.

But yeah, you'll have to remove them and reapply anytime you want to give it a real clean. Some people use hooked tools to try to wipe in-between. Kind of a pain, from my understanding of friends that had them. Like I said, though, super uncommon in the climates I've lived due to snow/ice. If I see them, they are only on summer cars that sit in storage the rest of the year.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
My experience is anyone who had them in Michigan immediately regretted it for at least 6 months of the year.

But yeah, you'll have to remove them and reapply anytime you want to give it a real clean. Some people use hooked tools to try to wipe in-between. Kind of a pain, from my understanding of friends that had them. Like I said, though, super uncommon in the climates I've lived due to snow/ice. If I see them, they are only on summer cars that sit in storage the rest of the year.
Ya it seems like too much of a hassle. Weather isn't a problem here in SoCal but having to keep removing them for a proper cleaning just isn't worth it for me.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Ya it seems like too much of a hassle. Weather isn't a problem here in SoCal but having to keep removing them for a proper cleaning just isn't worth it for me.
Channel your inner Smokey & The Bandit, grow the stache & roll with it for 1 season. Don't let the good times & the dream die because of trivialities like, "window washing". :DD added bonus: (Imagine the tales you'll tell your grandkids).

This could be you! :naughty:
upload_2021-5-14_15-35-32.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-14_15-31-2.png
    upload_2021-5-14_15-31-2.png
    397.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Hammettf2b

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
My wife works with vehicle batteries. It will be a major issue with the industry for a long time, whether it's storage and disposition of the packs themselves (or the entire vehicles) or a service/replacement infrastructure.
Good info, thanks for sharing. The engineers @ Toyota hid the results showing that the batteries contain cobalt (iirc), which is more environmentally damaging to the earth vs. .....a Hummer...it may have been the H2, but regardless, wow. Going off memory from I believe it was a Consumer Reports article?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Good info, thanks for sharing. The engineers @ Toyota hid the results showing that the batteries contain cobalt (iirc), which is more environmentally damaging to the earth vs. .....a Hummer...it may have been the H2, but regardless, wow. Going off memory from I believe it was a Consumer Reports article?

The problem with cobalt has historically been the human cost and conditions in which it is harvested. Much how diamonds themselves aren't an issue, but the practices involved in obtaining the resource is problematic.

Searching "Toyota hid cobalt" and it's variations into Google yield no results, so you're going to have to dig into that a bit yourself.

What I did find is that manufacturers are moving away from cobalt as energy conscious consumers are also likely to want to avoid the "blood diamond" of the battery world into their products. It stands to reason these mines also leave the area, largely in Africa, in poor ecological conditions considering that we have domestic nickel mines here in the US under far stricter regulation that can have longstanding impact on the environment.

There's nothing inherent about the cobalt byproduct that makes it worse than a fossil fuel. And while the upfront cost of production of electric vehicles is indeed a greater burden, it's the life of the car and the source of the fuel that is most important.

There's a great graphic breakdown here from the Wall Street Journal, which is absolutely not a "green" endorser by default, that shows the value of looking at the life of the car.

For those that want to skip the details and just get the big point:

DISTANCE DRIVEN: 200,000 MILES
By the time we get to 200,000 miles, the lifespan of a typical car, the emissions comparison isn’t even close.
Building and operating the RAV4 has generated 78 tons of greenhouse gases. The Model 3 has generated less than half: 36 tons.
The Model 3 also comes out ahead in Consumer Reports’s total cost of ownership, at $49,800 to $51,000.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The problem with cobalt has historically been the human cost and conditions in which it is harvested. Much how diamonds themselves aren't an issue, but the practices involved in obtaining the resource is problematic.

Searching "Toyota hid cobalt" and it's variations into Google yield no results, so you're going to have to dig into that a bit yourself.

What I did find is that manufacturers are moving away from cobalt as energy conscious consumers are also likely to want to avoid the "blood diamond" of the battery world into their products. It stands to reason these mines also leave the area, largely in Africa, in poor ecological conditions considering that we have domestic nickel mines here in the US under far stricter regulation that can have longstanding impact on the environment.

There's nothing inherent about the cobalt byproduct that makes it worse than a fossil fuel. And while the upfront cost of production of electric vehicles is indeed a greater burden, it's the life of the car and the source of the fuel that is most important.

There's a great graphic breakdown here from the Wall Street Journal, which is absolutely not a "green" endorser by default, that shows the value of looking at the life of the car.

For those that want to skip the details and just get the big point:

DISTANCE DRIVEN: 200,000 MILES
By the time we get to 200,000 miles, the lifespan of a typical car, the emissions comparison isn’t even close.
Building and operating the RAV4 has generated 78 tons of greenhouse gases. The Model 3 has generated less than half: 36 tons.
The Model 3 also comes out ahead in Consumer Reports’s total cost of ownership, at $49,800 to $51,000.
I'm a fan of Elon Musk & his work.

Also, Toyota doesn't want that info found, that's why you didn't find it (which is kind of my point too). I read about it years ago...

Also, I happened to see this today:
upload_2021-5-16_21-4-38.png

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Also, I happened to see this today:
View attachment 434722

Are you suggesting something about cobalt here? Because it certainly seems like it, what with all the underlining of cobalt and all.

The image you shared is telling a story about how people dug up nuclear reactor waste. Cobalt-60 is produced artificially in nuclear reactors.

Yes, I know, it has cobalt in the name so cobalt = spooky bad. But careful, there's cobalt in the phone or computer you're using right now. Watch yourself.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Are you suggesting something about cobalt here? Because it certainly seems like it, what with all the underlining of cobalt and all.

The image you shared is telling a story about how people dug up nuclear reactor waste. Cobalt-60 is produced artificially in nuclear reactors.

Yes, I know, it has cobalt in the name so cobalt = spooky bad. But careful, there's cobalt in the phone or computer you're using right now. Watch yourself.
I'm off to the Bunker to recalculate everything. :laugh:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Snopes isn't exactly known for being unbiased, nor accurate, look it up. They may or may not be accurate/unbiased in this case either. They're kinda like FB Fact-Checkers in that regard, which is the irony here.
It's not ironic or up in the air. And Snopes is not the source. They link their sources, ultimately the company who's cars they are and the people storing them.

What are Jay Black's credentials to speak on the topic or historic level of accuracy in his reporting?
Don't get your news from stupid facebook posts.

Reactions: Konnan511
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad