OT: Off-Topic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Just to throw some confusion into this I did not hear the tree fall. But The Wife says she did.

Reminds me about an experience I had years ago.

Christmas morning about 2am I hear a loud bang outside. I get out of bed and look around out the window and don't see anything. It's dead out there. The lady says she didn't hear anything, but we were both sleeping.

And for more context, I sometimes get "exploding head syndrome" where I'll wake up suddenly to the sound of a crash or breaking glass, when in fact nothing is happening. So I just wrote it off.

Get up in the morning and there was a massive chunk of ice that went clear through the windshield of my car. Completely caved in.

We had just started renting the place and we were not warned that massive ice dams could break free and crush your car. "Didn't I mention that?" Said the landlord. No. No you didn't.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Any serious damage?

smashed the hell out of the overhang where the soffit was, but it doesn't appear to have broken through the actual structure. at least, I didn't see any holes where there shouldn't be holes when I went inside and looked. The tree has an elbow in it where it grew out over the barn at a pretty vicious lean. This winter they logged out the woods behind and to the side of us taking away any protection the thing had from severe weather. The tree didn't break, but was actually uprooted which we think slowed its fall considerably. With its fall being slowed, it didn't have enough momentum to break through the wall and keep going. And because of the elbow, none of the the tree past where it's came to rest against the building actually touches the roof. It's just sort of suspended there the whole length of the barn/garage.

For how big the tree is (100ft tall?) there is remarkably little damage. It's just going to be getting someone in to take it safely down.

I fail to see the confusion.
Spouse 101: The Wife is always right. :D

I keep telling her that I didn't hear it so it must not have happened so I don't have to deal with it.

I'm losing this argument.

Reactions: jkutswings

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
smashed the hell out of the overhang where the soffit was, but it doesn't appear to have broken through the actual structure. at least, I didn't see any holes where there shouldn't be holes when I went inside and looked. The tree has an elbow in it where it grew out over the barn at a pretty vicious lean. This winter they logged out the woods behind and to the side of us taking away any protection the thing had from severe weather. The tree didn't break, but was actually uprooted which we think slowed its fall considerably. With its fall being slowed, it didn't have enough momentum to break through the wall and keep going. And because of the elbow, none of the the tree past where it's came to rest against the building actually touches the roof. It's just sort of suspended there the whole length of the barn/garage.

For how big the tree is (100ft tall?) there is remarkably little damage. It's just going to be getting someone in to take it safely down.

As if you need more homeowner DIY projects.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If there's anybody who is very familiar with the various VPN options out there, please direct message me. I have done a little research, but still have a couple of questions for anybody inclined to clarify. (And thank you in advance.)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What HF taught me today?

One GM has all the power to change things, if they are unhappy with something in the league. Now that we know that Steve Yzerman has this much control, the next 10 1st overalls will be ours regardless where we finish. Indeed a great day to be a Wings fan.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What HF taught me today?

One GM has all the power to change things, if they are unhappy with something in the league. Now that we know that Steve Yzerman has this much control, the next 10 1st overalls will be ours regardless where we finish. Indeed a great day to be a Wings fan.

Did something happen that I missed? I definitely feel like I'm missing something here.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Did something happen that I missed? I definitely feel like I'm missing something here.

Yes, the league heard a complaint from one guy and changed everything! Ridiculous. Since you know so much, you also would have read that there were 20 or so other GMs who also said they were unhappy with the current setup. That is why it got changed. Majority did want it changed, reports said so, and it would never have passed voting with 3 or 4 unhappy guys.

One guy doesn't get stuff changed league wide, and Steve was far from the only GM not liking the setup.

I also was lurking in that thread.

Reactions: Oddbob

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I also was lurking in that thread.

Ah. I didn't realize we were doing our airing of grievances so early in the season!

C0X1K88UcAAYoAb.jpg

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Yes, a Rangers fan, pavelbuchnevich made a dumb remark how he hopes we lose the lottery tonight, because Steve Yzerman was a big baby who whined to the league and got the whole league to change the lottery rules just cause he didn't like them. Then he wants me to prove that Steve didn't make them change the rules all by himself. How on earth do you prove to someone, that one guy in a professional league isn't making everyone change the rules, when that person clearly isn't thinking clear enough to begin with?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yes, a Rangers fan, pavelbuchnevich made a dumb remark how he hopes we lose the lottery tonight, because Steve Yzerman was a big baby who whined to the league and got the whole league to change the lottery rules just cause he didn't like them. Then he wants me to prove that Steve didn't make them change the rules all by himself. How on earth do you prove to someone, that one guy in a professional league isn't making everyone change the rules, when that person clearly isn't thinking clear enough to begin with?

That guy makes probably as many off-base comments as Georgeleafer. I wouldn't let it bother you.

Reactions: Oddbob

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
A
it's only going to keep going up on the back of such fine engineering as this.

LEAD-IMAGE-amc_gremlin_1978.jpg

In the early 80's, a buddy of mine had an AMC Concord station wagon. It had a not-so-small hidden trap door compartment in the rear area. We'd take it over the border into Windsor and hit the Brewer's Retail for the two cases of Brador that would fit in the cubby. Then back across the border to party in Detroit. We were popular lol.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How is it nobody is talking about the UFOs?

Whether it's a secret government aircraft or otherwise, it's incredible. One of the aircraft was reported, by our government, moving 60 miles in a matter of seconds.

Like my mind is blown thinking about the implications here.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
How is it nobody is talking about the UFOs?

Whether it's a secret government aircraft or otherwise, it's incredible. One of the aircraft was reported, by our government, moving 60 miles in a matter of seconds.

Like my mind is blown thinking about the implications here.

I'm guessing because it's one of the easier pathways into a, ahem, rhymes with "schmo"-litical, discussion.

Also, Pavel Datsyuk to me is rough proof that aliens exist. I'm being mostly serious. Some of the things he did... Just not right.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm guessing because it's one of the easier pathways into a, ahem, rhymes with "schmo"-litical, discussion.

Is it really? I thought strange shit flying in the sky might actually be something that unites everyone on the same page.

I'm very naive about that kind of thing though.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Is it really? I thought strange shit flying in the sky might actually be something that unites everyone on the same page.

I'm very naive about that kind of thing though.

It's the easiest thing in the world to make anything into a controversial topic and I'm guessing some on here don't want to activate certain peoples that just make you want to sit there, nod your head, eat a piece of hard candy and say, "Ok... I'll see you in a few months, grandpa."

And then, yeah, see my added edit about Datsyuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad