OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Any blues fans here? I've always known Slash as the guitarist for Guns and Roses which isn't my thing, didn't realize that he's also a solo artist and he has a blues album coming out soon. A few days ago I stumbled across this single from the upcoming album which was released only a few days ago I think and I thought wow, this is the best new thing I've seen in some time. Featuring Brian Johnson from AC/DC on vocals (who sounds most excellent singing in a lower register) and Steve Tyler on harp. I didn't know he played harp and you know what, his solo on this excellent. I also love the fact that they feature the original artist Howlin Wolf on the video, full marks from me for everything!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Any blues fans here? I've always known Slash as the guitarist for Guns and Roses which isn't my thing, didn't realize that he's also a solo artist and he has a blues album coming out soon. A few days ago I stumbled across this single from the upcoming album which was released only a few days ago I think and I thought wow, this is the best new thing I've seen in some time. Featuring Brian Johnson from AC/DC on vocals (who sounds most excellent singing in a lower register) and Steve Tyler on harp. I didn't know he played harp and you know what, his solo on this excellent. I also love the fact that they feature the original artist Howlin Wolf on the video, full marks from me for everything!

alI jokes aside I do love really old blues.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto

Wow, thanks so much for sharing. Really good.

I am a big fan of GN'R, long been my favourite, to put that bias out there. Long.

Slash has always been at heart a pure blues riffer, just at higher speeds, and he is an all-timer, and aging well to boot. I'm sure some affionados can correct me, but who plays a rock n' roll bluesy riff better then Slash? People rip on him for not being like a Van Halen level shredder, but is there anyone that has more riffs that just make people go "wow, I love this" in 30 years then his playing?

Tyler on the harp also a thing, he does it well, has forever. Aerosmith before they went soft was incredible, it's nice to see and hear Tyler throw down that.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

I am a big fan of GN'R, long been my favourite, to put that bias out there. Long.

Slash has always been at heart a pure blues riffer, just at higher speeds, and he is an all-timer, and aging well to boot. I'm sure some affionados can correct me, but who plays a rock n' roll bluesy riff better then Slash? People rip on him for not being like a Van Halen level shredder, but is there anyone that has more riffs that just make people go "wow, I love this" in 30 years then his playing?

Tyler on the harp also a thing, he does it well, has forever. Aerosmith before they went soft was incredible, it's nice to see and hear Tyler throw down that.
jimmy page comes to mind:laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Psychology probably :laugh: the false hope of you going to get it :laugh:

Probably once for me ever to get it first and early instead of the last slot or latter slots.
They never showed up, beyond pissed. We've been without an oven now since mid December, what a gong show.
Going to be a spicy day on the phone for me with various customer services!

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Slash's solo albums have all been excellent. I saw him pre-COVID at Hamilton Place, Miles Kennedy was the front man. Fantastic show in a small venue.
I'll be seeing him again this summer at Budweiser. Hate that venue but I'm sure the show will be excellent.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I don't know Slash at all but as far as who plays it better, based on that video I'd say maybe nobody.

As far as who has more riffs that make people go wow, well that would be Keith Richards. I'll admit my bias - the Stones have been my favorite group for almost 50 years now, their early stuff (up to Tattoo You) is like comfort food to me, makes me feel good, I never get tired of it but that's largely because of Richards who has been called the human riff.

Shredding has nothing to do with being a good guitar player. It's melody, taste, dynamics, feel and a knowledge of what sounds good to the ear. JMHO.

jimmy page comes to mind:laugh:
After Richards, he'd probably be #2 on my list. Incredible player/songwriter!

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
For me Let it Bleed

Some Girls is one of my favourite albums of all time.
I also went thru a long phase where I was listening to the album It's Only Rock n Roll, every single day. Just had an amazing vibe for me at the time I guess.
The thing I love about the Stones is they have SO MANY incredible songs/big hits, but their unknown songs on the albums are just as good.
I think it will sound crazy, but to me the Stones are an underrated band, because people don't dig into their collection. For 99.63% of people, there isn't that need to dig, because they have dozens of hits. There are so many hidden gems, and if you guys like the blues, the Stones have many 'unknown' blues songs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Some Girls is one of my favourite albums of all time.
I also went thru a long phase where I was listening to the album It's Only Rock n Roll, every single day. Just had an amazing vibe for me at the time I guess.
The thing I love about the Stones is they have SO MANY incredible songs/big hits, but their unknown songs on the albums are just as good.
I think it will sound crazy, but to me the Stones are an underrated band, because people don't dig into their collection. For 99.63% of people, there isn't that need to dig, because they have dozens of hits. There are so many hidden gems, and if you guys like the blues, the Stones have many 'unknown' blues songs.
My favorite Stones vibe is Exile on Main Street. There was a period of time way back when when I had that cassette tape in my car and I didn't change it for about 6 months, listened to it for about one hour every day driving to work and back. I don't know if there's another album I would listen to for that long without wanting a change of pace.

It's Only Rock n Roll is one of my favorite songs. It's Only Rock n Roll but I like it - that has to be one of the best phrases ever penned for a Rock song!! I remember seeing them perform it on SNL when I was a kid, I didn't know dick about the Stones at the time but Mick Jagger's performance was hypnotic, that made a big impression on me.

Some Girls is a phenomenal album and Shattered is one my favorite Stones tunes (honorable mention to Far Away Eyes).

• Love
Reactions: the squared circle

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Question for the rules guys.

I watching a kid's game the other night and our team was on the PK.

The opposing team scored on the PP, but after a bit of discussion the refs ruled that there was no goal because the team on the PP had too many men on the ice. However, they did not assess a minor penalty to the offending team.

I got it into it a little bit with one of the other team's fans who insisted that because the goal was disallowed there should be no penalty, while I argued that too many men is always a penalty and the only reason the goal was scored was because the ref didn't notice in time.

Who's correct?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

The opposing team scored on the PP, but after a bit of discussion the refs ruled that there was no goal because the team on the PP had too many men on the ice. However, they did not assess a minor penalty to the offending team.

I got it into it a little bit with one of the other team's fans who insisted that because the goal was disallowed there should be no penalty, while I argued that too many men is always a penalty and the only reason the goal was scored was because the ref didn't notice in time.

Who's correct?
They should have received a penalty for it, strange they didn't.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021

Who's correct?
You

Reactions: egd27

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Who's correct?
I'm no expert on the rules but it seems pretty obvious that you are 100% correct.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Who's correct?
Not allowed to say too many “men” anymore, so no penalty as a result

• Haha
Reactions: the squared circle

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I mean it’s either a penalty and play should have been stopped before a goal was scored, and hence no goal, or it’s not a penalty and it’s a goal right? One or the other must be true.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
They never showed up, beyond pissed. We've been without an oven now since mid December, what a gong show.
Going to be a spicy day on the phone for me with various customer services!
Holy shit that is absurd. The only place that did that kind of stuff to me was Leon's where they also said they delivered for my mom's fridge and I was like...What? We have no fridge?! HOW?! After a stern talk and a week later we got the fridge.

Good luck and hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Also i heard this today after feeling a bit better and damn I LOVE IT!

• Love
Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad