OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
Any blues fans here? I've always known Slash as the guitarist for Guns and Roses which isn't my thing, didn't realize that he's also a solo artist and he has a blues album coming out soon. A few days ago I stumbled across this single from the upcoming album which was released only a few days ago I think and I thought wow, this is the best new thing I've seen in some time. Featuring Brian Johnson from AC/DC on vocals (who sounds most excellent singing in a lower register) and Steve Tyler on harp. I didn't know he played harp and you know what, his solo on this excellent. I also love the fact that they feature the original artist Howlin Wolf on the video, full marks from me for everything!

Re: Tyler on the harp; I can’t recall if it was Aerosmith or a Tyler solo album, but they (or he) released a blues album back in the 2000’s. Honkin’ on Bobo I think I was called.

I have no idea how good of an album it was, but you may find it interesting if you enjoyed his work above.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Also i heard this today after feeling a bit better and damn I LOVE IT!
Hell yeah! I think I've played this about 5/6 times by now, it's just perfect. I also grabbed tickets to the show this summer in TO, should be great.

While I'm at it, I'll share my favorite Keb Mo song (he's opening for Slash). I think it's cool that he's having an acoustic blues player open for him, good stuff Slash!

Re: Tyler on the harp; I can’t recall if it was Aerosmith or a Tyler solo album, but they (or he) released a blues album back in the 2000’s. Honkin’ on Bobo I think I was called.

I have no idea how good of an album it was, but you may find it interesting if you enjoyed his work above.
Thanks for the tip, if I remember I will check this out later (if it's on spotify or youtube)

• Love
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Why is it when you book a service and they give you a window of 12-5, they always arrive at 5 and never at 12?
I recently had the opposite problem.

I booked something at 9 am because it's after I drop off my daughter at school, and they got mad at me the day of when I told them they absolutely cannot come any earlier. Like, it's not my fault your other bookings are what they are. I booked a 9 am for a reason.

Sorry for what happened to you.

Reactions: ACC1224

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Some Girls is one of my favourite albums of all time.
I also went thru a long phase where I was listening to the album It's Only Rock n Roll, every single day. Just had an amazing vibe for me at the time I guess.
The thing I love about the Stones is they have SO MANY incredible songs/big hits, but their unknown songs on the albums are just as good.
I think it will sound crazy, but to me the Stones are an underrated band, because people don't dig into their collection. For 99.63% of people, there isn't that need to dig, because they have dozens of hits. There are so many hidden gems, and if you guys like the blues, the Stones have many 'unknown' blues songs.
There's an album called "Between the Buttons" 65 or 66, give it a spin, there's lots of candy on it.

Question for the rules guys.

I watching a kid's game the other night and our team was on the PK.

The opposing team scored on the PP, but after a bit of discussion the refs ruled that there was no goal because the team on the PP had too many men on the ice. However, they did not assess a minor penalty to the offending team.

I got it into it a little bit with one of the other team's fans who insisted that because the goal was disallowed there should be no penalty, while I argued that too many men is always a penalty and the only reason the goal was scored was because the ref didn't notice in time.

Who's correct?
I think the guy reffing should learn from his error

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I recently had the opposite problem.

I booked something at 9 am because it's after I drop off my daughter at school, and they got mad at me the day of when I told them they absolutely cannot come any earlier. Like, it's not my fault your other bookings are what they are. I booked a 9 am for a reason.

Sorry for what happened to you.
All good, spent a pleasant hour plus with a customer service lady with Home Depot who took care of me.
Quick summary, bought an oven Jan 9, delivery Jan 16. Jan 15 they tell me it’s back ordered will come Feb 28. Feb 26 they tell me it’s discontinued and won’t be coming at all. Got them a week later to give me a higher end oven for the price of the discontinued one. They did that plus free delivery. Delivery came fine but then the installers didn’t show up.
Got my money back today for the installers $200, plus a $200 gift card for my pain and suffering. New oven is still sitting on the dining room floor lol.
To be continued.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
All good, spent a pleasant hour plus with a customer service lady with Home Depot who took care of me.
Quick summary, bought an oven Jan 9, delivery Jan 16. Jan 15 they tell me it’s back ordered will come Feb 28. Feb 26 they tell me it’s discontinued and won’t be coming at all. Got them a week later to give me a higher end oven for the price of the discontinued one. They did that plus free delivery. Delivery came fine but then the installers didn’t show up.
Got my money back today for the installers $200, plus a $200 gift card for my pain and suffering. New oven is still sitting on the dining room floor lol.
To be continued.
It is almost unfathomable in 2024 Canada to wait that long for a new oven and installation. Wild. You bought it over 2 months ago?

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Hey guys,

Probably a dumb question but all of a sudden when i come on HFboards on my phone its the desktop version and I can't get back to the mobile version. Could someone please advise this idiot on how to rectify this issue? Thank youuuuu.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
To be continued.
Hey, Brian Hayes here, you know my favourite part of doing this job is I get to share with you guys this great info. Like the other day, new oven comes for delivery but the installers bail on me, I don’t stress it, no problem, I just do what I always do, hop on the Jiffy App and bang, my man Jim is there that afternoon and I’m baking wings for the game within hours.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Hey guys,

Probably a dumb question but all of a sudden when i come on HFboards on my phone its the desktop version and I can't get back to the mobile version. Could someone please advise this idiot on how to rectify this issue? Thank youuuuu.

Which browser are you using? If you click on the icon in the upper right corner and bring up options, there's usually an option for desktop versus mobile. Perhaps yours is ticked?

1000004920.jpg

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Hey, Brian Hayes here, you know my favourite part of doing this job is I get to share with you guys this great info. Like the other day, new oven comes for delivery but the installers bail on me, I don’t stress it, no problem, I just do what I always do, hop on the Jiffy App and bang, my man Jim is there that afternoon and I’m baking wings for the game within hours.
I have a buddy who’s a gas guy. Asked him if he had a guy to hook it up for cash. He said “why don’t we just do it ourselves?”
Finished installing it this morning.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Just entered one of them thanks to this thread lol. This damn kitchen is getting cleaned up to it.
Every time I go down the “Now” rabbit hole I wind up on this boogie woogie version of “Down the Road a Piece”. Thought I’d share, it’s awesome, get through it, you’ll watch it again.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
And speaking of The Rolling Stones, here's a blues piece from John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with a 19 year old Mick Taylor on guitar back in 1968. Taylor would join the Rolling Stones around 1970 to replace Brian Jones who had "croaked" in the swimming pool.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Any blues fans here? I've always known Slash as the guitarist for Guns and Roses which isn't my thing, didn't realize that he's also a solo artist and he has a blues album coming out soon. A few days ago I stumbled across this single from the upcoming album which was released only a few days ago I think and I thought wow, this is the best new thing I've seen in some time. Featuring Brian Johnson from AC/DC on vocals (who sounds most excellent singing in a lower register) and Steve Tyler on harp. I didn't know he played harp and you know what, his solo on this excellent. I also love the fact that they feature the original artist Howlin Wolf on the video, full marks from me for everything!

Call me a traditionalist, but I prefer this rendition………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Every time I go down the “Now” rabbit hole I wind up on this boogie woogie version of “Down the Road a Piece”. Thought I’d share, it’s awesome, get through it, you’ll watch it again.

“I wish my brother George was here………”

Hell yeah! I think I've played this about 5/6 times by now, it's just perfect. I also grabbed tickets to the show this summer in TO, should be great.

While I'm at it, I'll share my favorite Keb Mo song (he's opening for Slash). I think it's cool that he's having an acoustic blues player open for him, good stuff Slash!

Thanks for the tip, if I remember I will check this out later (if it's on spotify or youtube)

Keb’s a fine picker, I’ve had the pleasure of seeing him perform a number of times……..

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Call me a traditionalist, but I prefer this rendition………

Listening to this now, so nice!!

And while I'm listening, I'm reading about Colin Linden in wiki and I just came across this:

When Linden met David Wilcox, Linden decided to learn how to play slide guitar. Wilcox gave 140 blues albums to young Linden, to help Linden to learn about blues styles.[citation needed]

Citation needed - not sure if that means that this may or may not be true but I know stuff like this does happen, and what a wonderful story about an older, more experienced musician helping/inspiring a younger one. Love it!

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Listening to this now, so nice!!

And while I'm listening, I'm reading about Colin Linden in wiki and I just came across this:

When Linden met David Wilcox, Linden decided to learn how to play slide guitar. Wilcox gave 140 blues albums to young Linden, to help Linden to learn about blues styles.[citation needed]

Citation needed - not sure if that means that this may or may not be true but I know stuff like this does happen, and what a wonderful story about an older, more experienced musician helping/inspiring a younger one. Love it!
Linden along with another Canadian bluesman Morgan Davis were in Wilcox’s band the Teddy Bears back in the day………

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
he still has his "cocaine eyes".

not sure what's driving them, but holy hell, when he gives that big eyes look, you feel it deep!
He played the BPAC a few weeks ago. I wasn't able to attend but my neighbour went and his wife swore he was staring at her the whole show. :laugh:

Legend, seen him a bunch of times, used to play my high school back in the early 80's.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Garrett Mason is a fav. You can catch him live at Bearly's House Blues in Halifax every Tuesday night. No cover charge.

Guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, his father Dutch was a great Canadian bluesman, since your out east do you ever get a chance to see Morgan Davis? He’s based out of the Maritimes……..

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, his father Dutch was a great Canadian bluesman, since your out east do you ever get a chance to see Morgan Davis? He’s based out of the Maritimes……..
It's been awhile, but he plays Bearlys 4 times in the next month. I just may go check him out again.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It's been awhile, but he plays Bearlys 4 times in the next month. I just may go check him out again.
Well worth the effort imo, I have one if his cd’s it’s really good especially the song barbecue, as a grill addict it hits home……

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad