OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIV - Can we get a refund for 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I grew up in Cambridge as a boomer child after WWII.

I walked to school starting with kindergarten as the Agassiz was only 3 blocks away. The very first classmate I ever invited to my home was black and my Mom made it clear that I had to ask her in advance if I could invite a classmate over and I was not allowed to invite him again as the upper crust in our apartment building were not pleased.

I grew up in an apartment building on Everett Street across from Harvard Law that was owned by a woman of means and back in the Great Depression she hired my Dad to be the custodian and was given the basement apartment as part of his salary. After the war ended she allowed my parents to move into the main part of the building and allowed my parents to lease out the basement apartment to students but there was still a class issue.

everett27_ext_01_detail.jpg

I grew up color blind but that is the way Cambridge was when I was young but my parents grew up in Newton-Silver Lake (Dad) and Brighton (Mom) and only wound up in Cambridge when the apartment building owner hired my Dad. My parents actually met at a Bruins game and my Mom dated Eddie Shore. My Mom was also born in Newfoundland and because of that, I have dual citizenship (US/Canada) because of provisions made when Newfoundland joined Canada in 1948.

In 1969 I went to Montreal for a Bruins playoff game with 3 others from Cambridge. On the trip was a very tall black kid from Jefferson Park named Zach. On the way to Montreal, we stopped for lunch in Barre, Vermont and as we walked down the street we became acutely aware that everyone was staring at us because of Zach and it dawned on us that many of those people had never seen a black person before - It was creepy.

My parents had no interactions with Negroes with one exception. Our newspaper was delivered by Eddie Gladden who I think lived on Walden Street and every month when it came time to settle he was invited in for coffee and he was always addressed as Mr. Gladden.

My parents were good people and I lost both of them by the time I was 21 ( and my only brother died when I was 25 ) but as much as I hate to admit this, my parents were Archie and Edith.

I still think I am colorblind

When I drove a cab there was a fear of going into Roxbury and one night I took Elma Lewis home from WGBH and when I got her home she told me to "Lock your doors and get outta here"

Elma Lewis - Wikipedia

I also remember there were 2 bars side by side in Central Sq in the early '70s - The Bradford was all white and Tom English was all black. One bar would only show Bruins games and the other only Celtics.

Bradford%20Cafe.jpg

It was the black bar that watched hockey.

great post

Reactions: rfournier103

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I’m thinking of making a ‘Priests Against Trump’ bumper sticker

basically Trump is appealing to his Evangelical base and insinuating God is on his side

unfortunately this is not a Netflix show that expires June 10

How can anyone not at the very least give their head a shake and pause to think on this.
The President has innocent people tear gassed so he can have a photo op with a Bible.

Really let that sink in.

Reactions: Midship

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’d be surprised but I’m really not

The evangelicals will eat that up even though he’s arguably the least Christian man in America

Reactions: Ladyfan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The photos out of Providence are awful. It wasn't just the mall they hit.

It was 100% staged.

Who is coordinating these attacks?

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
How can anyone not at the very least give their head a shake and pause to think on this.
The President has innocent people tear gassed so he can have a photo op with a Bible.

Really let that sink in.
F-E-A-R + ignorance

I’m sure there are people (white ones) on this Board who can justify it and spin it the usual way (heck I heard a caller around 6:30 yesterday morning on WEEI blame this on JFK policies in the early 60’s before finishing it off with Trump 2020.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They looted the Providence Mall last night. When the hell did the Providence Mall get nice?

Last time I was there, there were a lot of empty storefronts.

There was coordination all over social media about looting various malls. Natick Collection was one of them, so the cops showed up in force and closed Wegmans, sending everyone home. I guess like 40-50 cars all with NY plates showed up to do some shit and they broke it up.

Looting threats lead to increased police presence at popular Mass. shopping spots

If people still believe that the protesters have anything to do with the looting and rioting, I don't know what to tell you. This was a coordinated attack by scumbags looking to rob places. Nothing to do with George Floyd. Never was.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Can’t make this shit up

Less than 24 hours after tear gassing a church to stage a photo op and promising military support to break up protests - today’s schedule has him signing an executive order to advance religious freedom and Pompeo meeting with survivors of Tiananmen Square.

American carnage is right

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I’m thinking of making a ‘Priests Against Trump’ bumper sticker

basically Trump is appealing to his Evangelical base and insinuating God is on his side

unfortunately this is not a Netflix show that expires June 10

Every day he does more and more unbelievable things. What an absolute fool.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
There was coordination all over social media about looting various malls. Natick Collection was one of them, so the cops showed up in force and closed Wegmans, sending everyone home. I guess like 40-50 cars all with NY plates showed up to do some shit and they broke it up.

Looting threats lead to increased police presence at popular Mass. shopping spots

If people still believe that the protesters have anything to do with the looting and rioting, I don't know what to tell you. This was a coordinated attack by scumbags looking to rob places. Nothing to do with George Floyd. Never was.

And this is what the National Guard is for, not the protestors. They DO need to crack down hard on that nonsense.

Reactions: Ladyfan and LSCII

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Spot on. These looters don't care about George Floyd, Black Lives Matter and fixing the disparities in society. They only care about using the movement as a cover to rob and destroy places. They want to inflict more pain on society rather than try to heal it.

I saw the Natick stuff on twitter. I know they also locked down the apartments that are next to the mall as well.

The power and reach social media has is mind blowing

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Can’t make this shit up

Less than 24 hours after tear gassing a church to stage a photo op and promising military support to break up protests - today’s schedule has him signing an executive order to advance religious freedom and Pompeo meeting with survivors of Tiananmen Square.

American carnage is right

id laugh if it wasn’t so sad and pathetic

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I still can't comprehend that he had innocent protesters gassed just so he could do what he did.

He essentially ordered law enforcement to commit what is the equivalent of a war crime

This type of thing is still seen in other countries and we shun them... here? Ridiculous.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

And that is one of the ways in which he is going to be re-elected, unfortunately.

There are legitimate protesters out there with a legitimate cause, but their efforts are being overwhelmed by the excessive vandalism and looting taking place. Citizens want security in their lives – they want to feel safe. In moments such as these, they look to those who will keep them safe. Rightly or wrongly, they'll see Trump and the Republicans as the law-and-order party. What's occurring on the streets now in dozens of urban centers is playing into Trump's hands.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And that is one of the ways in which he is going to be re-elected, unfortunately.

There are legitimate protesters out there with a legitimate cause, but their efforts are being overwhelmed by the excessive vandalism and looting taking place. Citizens want security in their lives – they want to feel safe. In moments such as these, they look to those who will keep them safe. Rightly or wrongly, they'll see Trump and the Republicans as the law-and-order party. What's occurring on the streets now in dozens of urban centers is playing into Trump's hands.

Of course it is, which is why he continues to pour gas on the fire. The worse it gets, the better it is for his chances of staying in power.

Reactions: TD Charlie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad