OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIV - Can we get a refund for 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
101514620_10158525706849962_5171636362394206208_o.jpg
Bravo

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
We live in a ****ed up materialistic society with both ends of the spectrum no longer having any real measure of acceptable behavior. In the middle we have those trying to get by and teach the meaning of effort and persistence but it is getting harder by the day. It all starts with 2 things IMO - 1 is the repeated lie that we all deserve things without having to put the effort and commit into driving outcomes. 2 is the repeated lie that we live in an egalitarian society that gives everyone the same chances. you can't solve either as a standalone - only together. It's going to be a very long road to fix those 2 issues which are so deeply engrained into the American psyche since the 70's.... there is no precedence in any historical record of society teaching of values replacing family teaching of values so a lot of this comes down to families teaching their children to persevere and do the right thing - it may take a generation but it all starts there. A lot can be said about this life lesson irrespective of origins and situation :

It's up to each parent of each kid - protest and hats off; pick up a brick and slap you into tomorrow. Enough is enough and no more excuses for stupid kids and absent parents. We need to teach them, not enable them to think the rules apply only to others (which is the very reason we have this police brutality issue on our hands.)....

Reactions: Eddie Munson

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I wish it was guys....dont get me wrong with so many unemployed I dont want this to come across wrong. I am still employed just without a place. After 40 years it is all so weird. I wish they would let me go. For a true end so I could start my final chapter.
Hard to put to words. But I will miss the folks I shared life with since 1994.
Hires, marriages, births, holidays and on and on.
They are still there. I am now here. There is no longer a we.
Unless on a computer screen.
I guess being a dinosaur of sorts it has left me in a fog. Everyone is ok but I feel like someone close to me has died. Up until today I thought this would pass in time for me to return at some point.
Reality is a kick to the teeth sometimes.
So very, very odd.
:heart::heart::heart:Hang in there friend.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I wish it was guys....dont get me wrong with so many unemployed I dont want this to come across wrong. I am still employed just without a place. After 40 years it is all so weird. I wish they would let me go. For a true end so I could start my final chapter.
Hard to put to words. But I will miss the folks I shared life with since 1994.
Hires, marriages, births, holidays and on and on.
They are still there. I am now here. There is no longer a we.
Unless on a computer screen.
I guess being a dinosaur of sorts it has left me in a fog. Everyone is ok but I feel like someone close to me has died. Up until today I thought this would pass in time for me to return at some point.
Reality is a kick to the teeth sometimes.
So very, very odd.

Hey GW. Ride it out. In hindsight I'm sure this will be a memory among others to take into the next stage of life. We are so caught up in short term thinking we sometimes forget the nature of time. What's a few months, a year, in the grand scheme of things.? By the time we get there and either an immunity of a vaccine it will be in the rear mirror and the relationships and friendships built over the years will still be there.

The Covid home working situation is a real eye opener for many in the sense that we are / were so engrossed in creating a social context inside and around work we perhaps lacked engagement in the personal side of life. "Work / Life" balance will have a new meaning going forward and I think it will, over time, be a healthier balance for our personal and emotional lives - we've been wrapped around the working axle for too long IMO. Take care, enjoy the freedom and time to reflect (and don't forget to get some of those vaccine shots this way ;-) ).!

Reactions: Gee Wally

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I grew up down the street from this guy. He now lives in Beverly Hills, where apparently even the raccoons loot.... But eventually give it back. :laugh:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
We live in a ****ed up materialistic society with both ends of the spectrum no longer having any real measure of acceptable behavior. In the middle we have those trying to get by and teach the meaning of effort and persistence but it is getting harder by the day. It all starts with 2 things IMO - 1 is the repeated lie that we all deserve things without having to put the effort and commit into driving outcomes. 2 is the repeated lie that we live in an egalitarian society that gives everyone the same chances. you can't solve either as a standalone - only together. It's going to be a very long road to fix those 2 issues which are so deeply engrained into the American psyche since the 70's.... there is no precedence in any historical record of society teaching of values replacing family teaching of values so a lot of this comes down to families teaching their children to persevere and do the right thing - it may take a generation but it all starts there. A lot can be said about this life lesson irrespective of origins and situation :

It's up to each parent of each kid - protest and hats off; pick up a brick and slap you into tomorrow. Enough is enough and no more excuses for stupid kids and absent parents. We need to teach them, not enable them to think the rules apply only to others (which is the very reason we have this police brutality issue on our hands.)....

Excellent tune from some of my favorite musicians.

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Excellent tune from some of my favorite musicians.

Something a bit more recent that hits home - from 2:12 mark. Modern day Harry Chapin, Cat's in the Cradle and very relevant for the rudderless masses of youth out there.

(and I'm not suggesting this an an end all, but anyone that has had kids knows the difference between being there, and REALLY being there...) The hardest job in life is to be a truly good parent because there is no hiding like in the work, social, or corporate world. It's crazy that it is easier to shirk responsibility in raising a kid than it is to shirk responsibility in a 9-5 job - shows just how deep a hole we have dug....

btw Papaoutai is a way of saying "Dad where are you"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad