OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIV - Can we get a refund for 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Had a very odd day. Spent the morning back at my office. First I stepped foot in there since March 12.
After going through thermal scanner, gowning, mask and gloves and a hefty does of sanitizer made my way to the elevator.

My entire wing on the North side that holds ~ 100 employees was dark. I was the only one there.
Health and Safety had approved in advance and left me boxes and a cart.

Very, very surreal.

Took a few hours to load up 26 years worth of stuff and throw tons of files away.
I have very much longed for my last day to come. But this isnt what I envisioned it would be nor what it is.

It's I guess a Purgatory of sorts. Caught between two worlds now.

Word spread that I was in the building. Some of my longest employees and friends came by to say hi and catch up. Standing at least 6 feet from each other.
One gal, Jennie, who I hired 15 years ago starting crying because we couldnt even hug. Just so odd.

So I loaded up my 4 huge boxes of personal stuff and memories. Turned over my keys. Dont know if I will ever step foot back in there again or ever see the faces of those I hold high unless via Zoom.

I rarely get overcome by something but I was today. It should be a natural thing to leave or end something. But there's nothing natural to me anymore. Or at least right now.

I have much more than I ever deserved to have out of life. So thats where I am looking for my peace today.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Had a very odd day. Spent the morning back at my office. First I stepped foot in there since March 12.
After going through thermal scanner, gowning, mask and gloves and a hefty does of sanitizer made my way to the elevator.

My entire wing on the North side that holds ~ 100 employees was dark. I was the only one there.

Very, very surreal.

Took a few hours to load up 26 years worth of stuff and throw tons of files away.
I have very much longed for my last day to come. But this isnt what I envisioned it would be nor what it is.

Word spread that I was in the building. Some of my longest employees and friends came by to say hi and catch up. Standing at least 6 feet from each other.
One gal, Jennie, who I hired 15 years ago starting crying because we couldnt even hug. Just so odd.

So I loaded up my 4 huge boxes of personal stuff and memories. Turned over my keys. Dont know if I will ever step foot back in there again or ever see the faces of those I hold high unless via Zoom.

I rarely get overcome by something but I was today. It should be a natural thing to leave or end something. But there's nothing natural to me anymore. Or at least right now.

I have much more than I ever deserved to have out of life. So thats where I am looking for my peace today.

Trust me you have all you deserve and should have more,..Big loss for that company and more importantly the people you touched daily (not Lonnie touched) … Congrats to you on your next phase.

Reactions: eightspokedb

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I get that they will be damned if they do but they're also going to be damned if they don't. If it was me I'd rather be damned for trying than damned for doing nothing. There is a huge difference between that scum bag killing George Floyd and a police officer or National Guardsman killing a rioter who threw a brick at him/her and most people understand that just like they understand the huge difference between the people protesting Floyd's killing & the people doing the rioting.
I agree with you, but the masses wouldn't. It would just make a shitty situation even worse.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Very, very surreal.

Congrats on retirement Wally.

Reactions: eightspokedb

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I always thought my office chair was comfortable until today.

Well, apparently my butt got real used to my couch and chairs at home. :help:

On the bright side, my monitors at work are like an IMAX screen after looking at the laptop screen for ten weeks. :laugh:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Congrats on retirement Wally.

I wish it was guys....dont get me wrong with so many unemployed I dont want this to come across wrong. I am still employed just without a place. After 40 years it is all so weird. I wish they would let me go. For a true end so I could start my final chapter.
Hard to put to words. But I will miss the folks I shared life with since 1994.
Hires, marriages, births, holidays and on and on.
They are still there. I am now here. There is no longer a we.
Unless on a computer screen.
I guess being a dinosaur of sorts it has left me in a fog. Everyone is ok but I feel like someone close to me has died. Up until today I thought this would pass in time for me to return at some point.
Reality is a kick to the teeth sometimes.
So very, very odd.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I wish it was guys....dont get me wrong with so many unemployed I dont want this to come across wrong. I am still employed just without a place. After 40 years it is all so weird. I wish they would let me go. For a true end so I could start my final chapter.
Hard to put to words. But I will miss the folks I shared life with since 1994.
Hires, marriages, births, holidays and on and on.
They are still there. I am now here. There is no longer a we.
Unless on a computer screen.
I guess being a dinosaur of sorts it has left me in a fog. Everyone is ok but I feel like someone close to me has died. Up until today I thought this would pass in time for me to return at some point.
Reality is a kick to the teeth sometimes.
So very, very odd.
It's bizarre here too, but not like that.

Sad all around.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
oh yeah.
To my shoulders.

My grey hair is at my shoulders now; I am not going to have it cut. I am going to have my sideburns thinned and tapered and then wear my hair in a ponytail or just long—my how times have changed. Now, if we could get a change in the U.S., that would be for all the people, all the people, a big honest significant difference. Probably not in my lifetime, I am too old, but I pray that all people are treated equally, with healthcare and food available for all, and with respect. OH, how I pray that would happen.

What this virus has shown is that there is too much greed in America, I don't live with blinders on, but now that this greed is exposed, let's stop it now. Let's take care of each other instead of me, me, me. Let's respect each other. I could repeat this a thousand times.

OH, how I pray.

We each have to make a change, and then we each have to take ownership of that change and make America a place of respect.

Please help to deliver this change, it starts by voting in every election, even the smallest of elections, if we don't put the right people in the office how can we expect to bring about this change, and it starts at the bottom and works up to the top. We must speak out if there is a wrong, not with rioting, but together with our voices to bring about change. This can be done, but it will take all of us together on the same page and not giving up until we get the change that respects us all.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
339098C2-CE54-47F6-A6D5-AA4BBB685F61.jpeg

Doesn’t explain all the looting and rioting as a lot of that is done by fringe groups, but it certainly explains some of it

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I have been quiet today - I am just wiped out by everything going on

It's been a crazy, difficult year so far, for America more than most. So much to take in and be worried about. I think to sometimes just stop or step back from it all, to just be quiet and switch off the world and simple 'be', is very necessary. No harm in admitting to sometimes being overwhelmed by it all and taking a break or quiet moment. Life can be hard and the world is a messy, often rough place. Especially right now.

All the best to you, and everyone else here.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Black-owned Boston marijuana store looted in what owners call a ‘targeted’ attack amid protests - The Boston Globe

Pure Oasis, the first Black-run marijuana store to open in Massachusetts, was looted early Monday morning in what its owners are calling a “targeted attack” that coincided with the protests that rocked Boston.

Kobie Evans, the co-owner of the shop in the Grove Hall neighborhood, said at least a dozen people entered Pure Oasis after someone broke through the window and opened the front door from the inside around 1:43 a.m.

Several small groups forced their way into a back storeroom, he told the Globe after reviewing security camera footage, making off with about 2,000 pre-rolled joints and 2,000 pre-packaged containers of marijuana flower worth well over $100,000 at retail prices.

The smash-and-grab robbery came on the same night — but well away from — peaceful protests in Boston against police brutality that later gave way to violent clashes and the looting of numerous retailers. Evans believes the timing was intentional, with the initial robbers counting on the police being distracted by the protests.

“They were deliberate. They purposefully came just to our shop," Evans said. “They were able to get into a secure back room. They knew exactly where they were going.”

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I grew up in Cambridge as a boomer child after WWII.

I walked to school starting with kindergarten as the Agassiz was only 3 blocks away. The very first classmate I ever invited to my home was black and my Mom made it clear that I had to ask her in advance if I could invite a classmate over and I was not allowed to invite him again as the upper crust in our apartment building were not pleased.

I grew up in an apartment building on Everett Street across from Harvard Law that was owned by a woman of means and back in the Great Depression she hired my Dad to be the custodian and was given the basement apartment as part of his salary. After the war ended she allowed my parents to move into the main part of the building and allowed my parents to lease out the basement apartment to students but there was still a class issue.

everett27_ext_01_detail.jpg

I grew up color blind but that is the way Cambridge was when I was young but my parents grew up in Newton-Silver Lake (Dad) and Brighton (Mom) and only wound up in Cambridge when the apartment building owner hired my Dad. My parents actually met at a Bruins game and my Mom dated Eddie Shore. My Mom was also born in Newfoundland and because of that, I have dual citizenship (US/Canada) because of provisions made when Newfoundland joined Canada in 1948.

In 1969 I went to Montreal for a Bruins playoff game with 3 others from Cambridge. On the trip was a very tall black kid from Jefferson Park named Zach. On the way to Montreal, we stopped for lunch in Barre, Vermont and as we walked down the street we became acutely aware that everyone was staring at us because of Zach and it dawned on us that many of those people had never seen a black person before - It was creepy.

My parents had no interactions with Negroes with one exception. Our newspaper was delivered by Eddie Gladden who I think lived on Walden Street and every month when it came time to settle he was invited in for coffee and he was always addressed as Mr. Gladden.

My parents were good people and I lost both of them by the time I was 21 ( and my only brother died when I was 25 ) but as much as I hate to admit this, my parents were Archie and Edith.

I still think I am colorblind

When I drove a cab there was a fear of going into Roxbury and one night I took Elma Lewis home from WGBH and when I got her home she told me to "Lock your doors and get outta here"

Elma Lewis - Wikipedia

I also remember there were 2 bars side by side in Central Sq in the early '70s - The Bradford was all white and Tom English was all black. One bar would only show Bruins games and the other only Celtics.

Bradford%20Cafe.jpg

It was the black bar that watched hockey.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
you can’t make this stuff up...

I’m thinking of making a ‘Priests Against Trump’ bumper sticker

basically Trump is appealing to his Evangelical base and insinuating God is on his side

unfortunately this is not a Netflix show that expires June 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad