OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIV - Can we get a refund for 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
You don’t have to guess though - BLM Boston made a statement explicitly not organizing, leading or sponsoring the protest yesterday.

Guessing responsibility for violence isn’t the way to go.
The protest was planned by a group of BU Students. Black Lives Matter were in contact with the group and supported their overall cause but that was it. There were several warnings from many that this could get ugly and it did as soon as night fell.

BLM was scheduled to hold their rally tomorrow but I don't know if that will happen.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I thought that this act of vandalism was sadly ironic:

Minneapolis vandalism targets include 189-unit affordable housing development

I live close to Union Square in Manhattan, which is one of the hotbeds for the protests/vandalism/looting. A couple of days ago, workers were boarding up the Nordstrom Rack there. I asked my girlfriend, as we walked by, why the adjacent Best Buy wasn't being boarded up, as I thought that it would be a prime target for the the looters. Sure enough, that Best Buy was looted last night. SoHo, farther west, was reportedly described as a "war zone", with a lot of high-end stores cleared of most merchandise by those "protesting" police injustice.

I sympathize with the legitimate protesters and support their cause, but this looting and vandalism by certain elements are really harming their efforts.

Reactions: BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
You'd think with a global pandemic and every major city on fire that the stock market would be down, but my portfolio is popping off. Thank you Elon and Bezos.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
4A54D94C-1897-42F2-8D8E-65B01178B58A.jpeg

I think our rioters are a little more crazy but still, it’s thought-provoking

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
View attachment 348482

I think our rioters are a little more crazy but still, it’s thought-provoking

I'm not an expert on what is going on in China, but my general understanding is that they are actually protesting, not looting, destroying property and generally terrorizing and endangering the community.

I've also seen some, shall we say, rough tactics by the "police" in the Hong Kong protests, regardless of the fact that they aren't military.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I'm not an expert on what is going on in China, but my general understanding is that they are actually protesting, not looting, destroying property and generally terrorizing and endangering the community.

I've also seen some, shall we say, rough tactics by the "police" in the Hong Kong protests, regardless of the fact that they aren't military.

people should be allowed to break windows, assault people and steal for the foreseeable future because somehow stopping it is a bad thing, apparently.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

For sure, and China is definitively authoritarian. But when we see some of the stuff we’ve seen the past week (like shooting at people who are standing on their porch doing nothing) it certainly looks like the pot calling the kettle black

And supporters of Hong Kong haven't exactly been completely peaceful. They’re probably more scared of getting killed by the government- as they should be- but they definitely aren’t being placid. I fully support Hong Kong though for what it’s worth

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I wonder what "outside Boston" means.

Are we talking Somerville or South Dakota?

they have their own out of state category so we are probably talking about people coming from places like Plymouth and other towns in the state

Reactions: Kate08

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Yep.

The National Guard isn't being activated for the peaceful protesters.

Rather the ones rioting/looting (or actors if this is the case).

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I thought that this act of vandalism was sadly ironic:

Minneapolis vandalism targets include 189-unit affordable housing development

I live close to Union Square in Manhattan, which is one of the hotbeds for the protests/vandalism/looting. A couple of days ago, workers were boarding up the Nordstrom Rack there. I asked my girlfriend, as we walked by, why the adjacent Best Buy wasn't being boarded up, as I thought that it would be a prime target for the the looters. Sure enough, that Best Buy was looted last night. SoHo, farther west, was reportedly described as a "war zone", with a lot of high-end stores cleared of most merchandise by those "protesting" police injustice.

I sympathize with the legitimate protesters and support their cause, but this looting and vandalism by certain elements are really harming their efforts.

That's the goal. Discredit the peaceful protesters and take away their valid reason for doing so by smearing it with the stain of the riots and looting. Nobody is focused on George Floyd being murdered in broad day light now are they? Instead they're talking about a massive company like Target getting looted.

Reactions: BMC and Estlin

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It doesn't help that the mayors & governors have not shown much in the way of courage in facing down the rioters. I know they're afraid of criticism but come on when their city and state is being burned down to the ground they have to put a stop to it that is part of their duties as elected officials. I would say it is their most important duty- to protect the lives and property of those who live there.

If my business and/or home got torched by rioters and the mayor failed to do what was necessary to prevent the riot from happening in the first place there is no way in hell I'd support his/her re-election. Or the re-election of any public official who failed to do his/her duty.

There is no excuse for appeasing or trying to appease the rioters. The more you give them the more they'll take. Literally.

Reactions: Aeroforce

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
It doesn't help that the mayors & governors have not shown much in the way of courage in facing down the rioters. I know they're afraid of criticism but come on when their city and state is being burned down to the ground they have to put a stop to it that is part of their duties as elected officials. I would say it is their most important duty- to protect the lives and property of those who live there.

If my business and/or home got torched by rioters and the mayor failed to do what was necessary to prevent the riot from happening in the first place there is no way in hell I'd support his/her re-election. Or the re-election of any public official who failed to do his/her duty.

There is no excuse for appeasing or trying to appease the rioters. The more you give them the more they'll take. Literally.
It's a fine line.

Obviously they need to do more to prevent looting and vandalism, but the absolute last thing any of these states can afford to happen is that some protester gets killed, most likely on national tv, by an officer.

I can understand the hesitation, even if I don't 100% agree with it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It's a fine line.

Obviously they need to do more to prevent looting and vandalism, but the absolute last thing any of these states can afford to happen is that some protester gets killed, most likely on national tv, by an officer.

I can understand the hesitation, even if I don't 100% agree with it.

I get that they will be damned if they do but they're also going to be damned if they don't. If it was me I'd rather be damned for trying than damned for doing nothing. There is a huge difference between that scum bag killing George Floyd and a police officer or National Guardsman killing a rioter who threw a brick at him/her and most people understand that just like they understand the huge difference between the people protesting Floyd's killing & the people doing the rioting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->