OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXII - RIP Kenny Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
13 confirmed Covid-19 cases here now in Ireland with 7 of those coming today and the first in my home city Cork. Hundreds of cases expected within 2 weeks.

Time to buy a bubble me thinks..

simpsons13-25.jpg
Just wash your hands with some mixture of Jameson and Guiness on it, you'll be fine.

But seriously, I have a lot of family originally from Cork, stay safe!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That's awesome. Is it unique to them or is the whole hospital practicing that?

Many states are starting to order insurance companies to waive all expenses associated with testing so I'm sure it is only a matter of time before MA follows suit.

My PCP works for the hospital in their primary care center - I don't know if Lahey/BI is doing this system-wide yet. I talked to his nurse and she says the ER is overrun with nervous Harvard students.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Just wash your hands with some mixture of Jameson and Guiness on it, you'll be fine.

But seriously, I have a lot of family originally from Cork, stay safe!

Thanks, I think I'll save the Jameson for when society breaks down and we are holed up at home though, a whiskey in one hand, pitchfork in the other :naughty:.

How's life with the new baby going? All is well I hope.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
I mean that's the other issue. If it's a use it or lose it type deal, of course people are going to use every possible day they can, hence why most companies tie vacation, personal, sick into one giant block of PTO and you use it how you need to.

The problem with that though, is that you have people who keep a buffer of days to use towards the end of the year when the weather gets colder, etc for them potentially being sick, and then when it doesn't happen, you have everyone trying to take time off at once the last two weeks of the year. From someone who used to manage people, and do the schedule, that was the worst time of the year because you still have a business to run.

Having everything as one block also leads to people coming into work when they aren't feeling great, so they don't waste their vacation time, then getting everyone else sick in the process.

Yep, can attest to that. My son cannot work from home and they just have a block of time - he ends up crawling to work even if when he just barely got his fever down.

At my old company we had unlimited sick days and I could work from home. That was a good deal because I had no incentive to abuse it and mostly took off only days when I was completely laid out. You would get screwed on your utilization metrics if you abuse it, however having the flexibility got me through two surgeries with minimal time lost.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

:cry:

I can't imagine losing your home at any age, but especially as a senior citizen

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
13 confirmed Covid-19 cases here now in Ireland with 7 of those coming today and the first in my home city Cork. Hundreds of cases expected within 2 weeks.

simpsons13-25.jpg

I see your 13 and raise it to 55 - that's how many cases we've had in Oz so far, but then we are a lot closer to China! We've also had crazy people panic-buying toilet paper for reasons I can't quite work out. Is that just us?

With COVID-19 the cat's well and truly out of the bag. Like any flu strain it is going to spread and increase and follow the usual trajectory - a rise towards a peak period of infections, after which it will begin to tail off as humans being to develop greater immunity to it. It is a little more deadly than the average flu, so unfortunately there are going to be increased death rates particularly among those people more vulnerable to respitory conditions due to age or existing heath issues, but really it isn't anything that weird or different. We just have to wait it out and take the usual sensible precautions. Eventually it will get old and tired and fade away.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I see your 13 and raise it to 55 - that's how many cases we've had in Oz so far, but then we are a lot closer to China! We've also had crazy people panic-buying toilet paper for reasons I can't quite work out. Is that just us?

With COVID-19 the cat's well and truly out of the bag. Like any flu strain it is going to spread and increase and follow the usual trajectory - a rise towards a peak period of infections, after which it will begin to tail off as humans being to develop greater immunity to it. It is a little more deadly than the average flu, so unfortunately there are going to be increased death rates particularly among those people more vulnerable to respitory conditions due to age or existing heath issues, but really it isn't anything that weird or different. We just have to wait it out and take the usual sensible precautions. Eventually it will get old and tired and fade away.

Self "isolation"

website-masturbation02-540x220.jpg

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
They definitely make screen cleaner wipes, but I don't know if it's technically a disinfectant. I'd advise going for screen cleaner spray instead because the wipes usually dry out quickly, or at least the ones I've used.

I have a screen cleaner spray that I really like, but I can't remember the brand. I'll check when I get home tonight.

@Alicat The stuff I have is called Falcon Dust-Off Screen Spray. Can use it on any screen (TV, laptop, phone, tablet, etc.) I think it does a good job cleaning.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I just got a strange email from my PCP

He advises IF you are experiencing flu-like symptoms DO NOT COME TO THE HOSPITAL. Instead, call us and we will send a paramedic team to your home for assessment at no charge.

Best practice. They want to keep people removed from groups or possible contamination in confined areas. This is standard protocol over in Asia and Europe since the breakouts as all instances of unknowing hospital visits with the "flu" have turned into big contamination blowups - Italy is a prime example.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

simpsons13-25.jpg
Stay safe. I have some friends and colleagues in Cork from work and didn't know it was there already. Will reach out to them in the AM.

In the grand scheme of things this isn't even a (likely) 0.000001% rounding error event for humanity, but despite that it has literally hit the brakes with 2 feet "full-on" to the world economy. Amazing because there are a couple scenario here and the most probable is collateral damage will far outweigh the direct health impact from the virus...

1. This will peter out after the typical incubation and seasonal flu period with another 100K infected and maybe 2-3K deaths (keep in mind the annual death rate in the Hubei province is circa 375K per year - so 3K is less than a 1% increase...)

Indirectly, you wipe out % points of the global economy and that tag along effect on the poor populations far outweighs the clinical downside. You're talking about swaths of the global population not having access to food, water, shelter because the crunch of the global economy. No work, no food in far too many places still. It's an ugly concept but there will be more than 3K in collateral damage for this wipeout....

Alternative is this is a much more nasty and rapidly evolving little bugger of a virus and best not to extrapolate what that could mean. Stay safe.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
The whole stay at home if you're sick thing is so simple yet a large number of those in this country can't seem to grasp the concept. It is mind boggling to me. It just highlights the need for workplaces to evolve and re-examine their policies on telecommuting as well as sick time.

I wish they'd talk about the dangers of over sanitizing things because it is going to play a role in all of this at some point.

I'm afraid the overreaction is only going to get worse for a lot of reasons we simply can't discuss here.
Simple enough: a lot of people don’t have paid sick time.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It is my biggest pet peeve.

I think there needs to be 2 banks, one for vacation/personal and one for sick. The vacation/personal time should be front loaded every Jan 1. If you happen to get sick you should be able to go in the red within reason.
This is why I’m a big fan of PTO. Get sick for an extended period, you have more hours to take off sick. Don’t get sick the whole year, you get more days to take as vacation.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I love the old planes and the sound of the engines.

I know it's just the angle but I don't think I'd wanna stand that close to that propellor :confused:

Reactions: BMC

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Stay safe. I have some friends and colleagues in Cork from work and didn't know it was there already. Will reach out to them in the AM.

In the grand scheme of things this isn't even a (likely) 0.000001% rounding error event for humanity, but despite that it has literally hit the brakes with 2 feet "full-on" to the world economy. Amazing because there are a couple scenario here and the most probable is collateral damage will far outweigh the direct health impact from the virus...

1. This will peter out after the typical incubation and seasonal flu period with another 100K infected and maybe 2-3K deaths (keep in mind the annual death rate in the Hubei province is circa 375K per year - so 3K is less than a 1% increase...)

Indirectly, you wipe out % points of the global economy and that tag along effect on the poor populations far outweighs the clinical downside. You're talking about swaths of the global population not having access to food, water, shelter because the crunch of the global economy. No work, no food in far too many places still. It's an ugly concept but there will be more than 3K in collateral damage for this wipeout....

Alternative is this is a much more nasty and rapidly evolving little bugger of a virus and best not to extrapolate what that could mean. Stay safe.

Thanks

TBH I am more fearful of the reaction of people and society to the virus rather than the actual virus itself!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

This infuriates me on so many different levels. There is no room for this behavior period at any time.

My best friend experienced this type of discrimination last Friday on her way home. She was sitting and minding her own business when a woman got on at the next stop, sat down, looked at her and then picked up her things and moved a few seats down.

She said she wanted to scream that she was born here and has never been to China but chose to take the high road and stay quiet.

I haven’t heard her that upset in quite sometime and it made me so angry and helpless.

The news needs to start covering this side of the story because it is only going to get worse if it hasn’t already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad