OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXII - RIP Kenny Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
yeah, same area. Spring Mountain goes by Fashion Mall and Treasure Island and back to Hughes Center. I hate the area that crosses with 15, its like Thunderdome with cars crossing 5 lanes at a time like its normal

Yeah that exit is the area I get off now for work since Sahara is always trafficky. Go down western by all the dispensaries and strip clubs. I laugh at the cars at the strip clubs during the day. Laugh even more Sunday mornings driving by.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The regular old flu killed over 34,000 people last year, and last year was right in the middle for the last ten seasons. This year is trending towards being as bad, if not worse than the 17-18 Flu season, which was the worst of the last decade. Potentially as many as 46,000 flu-related deaths. Source: CDC website.

The coronavirus causes more severe symptoms, and hits elderly and immuno-compromised people harder. (initial WHO estimates at 3.4% mortality rate, but that's likely high due to undiagnosed/misdiagnosed (as regular flu)/unreported cases along with suspect data from China) But it does not spread as efficiently as the flu. And to date, there have been 9 total deaths, and less than 200 confirmed cases in the US. We're panic buying bleach, TP (not the "I'm scared" TP either :laugh:), water, etc, for a disease that's got a tiny footprint here.

Less than being unprepared, we are completely overreacting to this, in large part, as you said, due to the media's overplaying the danger (along with other agendas they have). Ironically, the precautions for preventing the spread of flu are the same as those for coronavirus. Wash your hands, cover your mouth for sneezing and coughing, don't touch your mouth or nose, and stay home if you're sick (that's the hardest one in the US, it seems).
The whole stay at home if you're sick thing is so simple yet a large number of those in this country can't seem to grasp the concept. It is mind boggling to me. It just highlights the need for workplaces to evolve and re-examine their policies on telecommuting as well as sick time.

I wish they'd talk about the dangers of over sanitizing things because it is going to play a role in all of this at some point.

I'm afraid the overreaction is only going to get worse for a lot of reasons we simply can't discuss here.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The whole stay at home if you're sick thing is so simple yet a large number of those in this country can't seem to grasp the concept. It is mind boggling to me. It just highlights the need for workplaces to evolve and re-examine their policies on telecommuting as well as sick time.

I wish they'd talk about the dangers of over sanitizing things because it is going to play a role in all of this at some point.

I'm afraid the overreaction is only going to get worse for a lot of reasons we simply can't discuss here.

Without getting too far afield, this is a cultural issue that has long-standing roots in our country. Prioritizing work as the main source of identity and the highest moral good has led to the idea that staying home is a bad thing if you are physically able to work. Never mind infecting everyone else around you- that's a them problem :(

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

The really crazy part is I think that the number is something like 40-50% people work from home occasionally. Most companies let you work from home when you need to. If I'm sick, I'm not usually so sick that I can't work at all. I work from home part-time, and I'd say I'm just as productive as when I go into the office.

Knowing that, I don't know why people still go into work sick. It's crazy.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The really crazy part is I think that the number is something like 40-50% people work from home occasionally. Most companies let you work from home when you need to. If I'm sick, I'm not usually so sick that I can't work at all. I work from home part-time, and I'd say I'm just as productive as when I go into the office.

problem too is a lot of companies. there's plenty still that give you paid sick time, but give the impression of "but you better not use it"

from personal experience, I ran into that when i worked for Amica. They gave 2 weeks of sick time per year, but if you used more than 3 days you faced discipline for "abusing" it...no joke. I dealt with it when i had a shoulder surgery. Got called down to HR with my manager to explain why I had taken "so much sick time" aka 4 whole days...

Reactions: DarrenBanks56

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

It depends on what I am doing but I am with you on being equally productive in either place. I normally work from home 2-3x a month and mostly during the winter. I prefer to come into the office when it is nice because I can walk around the Common at lunch.

Last week was the first time in a very long time where I tried to work from home while sick and just couldn't. I'm still not over the guilt of missing so much time.

If I were still at my other job, I would have been fired. That is how bad things were.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
problem too is a lot of companies. there's plenty still that give you paid sick time, but give the impression of "but you better not use it"

from personal experience, I ran into that when i worked for Amica. They gave 2 weeks of sick time per year, but if you used more than 3 days you faced discipline for "abusing" it...no joke. I dealt with it when i had a shoulder surgery. Got called down to HR with my manager to explain why I had taken "so much sick time" aka 4 whole days...

You're right- a lot of employers discourage using the sick time, even though they give it. I once worked for a college that gave me the same business as you got - had to explain why I was using up my sick time. All I could say way, "why give it to me if I am not supposed to use it! I was sick!"

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
The regular old flu killed over 34,000 people last year, and last year was right in the middle for the last ten seasons. This year is trending towards being as bad, if not worse than the 17-18 Flu season, which was the worst of the last decade. Potentially as many as 46,000 flu-related deaths. Source: CDC website.

The coronavirus causes more severe symptoms, and hits elderly and immuno-compromised people harder. (initial WHO estimates at 3.4% mortality rate, but that's likely high due to undiagnosed/misdiagnosed (as regular flu)/unreported cases along with suspect data from China) But it does not spread as efficiently as the flu. And to date, there have been 9 total deaths, and less than 200 confirmed cases in the US. We're panic buying bleach, TP (not the "I'm scared" TP either :laugh:), water, etc, for a disease that's got a tiny footprint here.

Less than being unprepared, we are completely overreacting to this, in large part, as you said, due to the media's overplaying the danger (along with other agendas they have). Ironically, the precautions for preventing the spread of flu are the same as those for coronavirus. Wash your hands, cover your mouth for sneezing and coughing, don't touch your mouth or nose, and stay home if you're sick (that's the hardest one in the US, it seems).
people are nuts. The social media is just making people dumber by the day.
I still cant find a friggin face mask to take down moldy drywall.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

yup, when I had the flu last month. I only missed 2 days because of that. If I missed a 3rd sick day in a row, I wouldve had to fill out a bunch of paperwork, bring all the paper work to the clinic that I tested for flu. I was like, screw that crap. So I just went back to work with a fever. I mean, I hadnt had the flu in forever, but I couldve actually not missed a day if I wanted to. It wasnt that bad of a flu. I only missed the 2 days, so I wouldnt get anyone else sick.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Yeah, it's kind of like companies that offer unlimited vacation time. It's no big deal to them because no one ends up actually using it, just from a cultural standpoint. The company I work for doesn't provide sick time. We just get paid time off that you use for vacation or when you're sick.

I actually work in employee benefits insurance (not medical), so I could get into this a lot more. I'll tell you that more and more companies are looking into their paid leave programs, as it's something younger employees entering the workforce are interested in and companies are doing whatever they can to attract them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
We accrue 1 hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked up to a cap of 72 hours. Employees also get vacation based on years of service (no less than 10 days for new hires) and 5 personal days.

I ended up having to use a mix of sick and personal time to cover what ended up being 3 1/2 days out of work.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
We accrue 1 hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked up to a cap of 72 hours. Employees also get vacation based on years of service (no less than 10 days for new hires) and 5 personal days.

I ended up having to use a mix of sick and personal time to cover what ended up being 3 1/2 days out of work.
Having to use vacation for sick time is so shameful. I hate how companies do that.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Having to use vacation for sick time is so shameful. I hate how companies do that.
It is my biggest pet peeve.

I think there needs to be 2 banks, one for vacation/personal and one for sick. The vacation/personal time should be front loaded every Jan 1. If you happen to get sick you should be able to go in the red within reason.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I understand it if you've got it set up as a use it or lose it situation. You often end up having people using "sick time" as extra vacation. I think it also depends on how much vacation or paid time off you get. If you don't get that much time, then I understand not wanting to use vacation time when you're sick.

Personally, I get four-and-a-half weeks paid time off every year. That's plenty of time for vacation, and I'm basically never out sick, since I can just work from home. I can also carry over 2 weeks every year, and last year I had to start just taking Fridays off at the end of the year so that I wouldn't lose time.

Reactions: Alicat

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
In the "gross files" - took my dad to Mass Eye and Ear in Stoneham today for a regular visit. I used the bathroom when I got there, and guess what? No soap. After touching two doorknobs, I asked the person at the front desk where I could wash my hands - one more doorknob that was probably touched by doctors, and I had my hands clean. No, I did not use my indoor "I'm-embarassed-to-have-to-ask-this" voice when I asked, but I knew it wasn't her fault, either - it's quite likely she didn't know, but when things are kinda gross, other folks should know too. I asked her if she could call whoever restocks the soap.

Flash forward an hour, and my dad uses the bathroom on the way out. Yup, still no soap.

I'm 0.00001% concerned about COVID-19. One case in Massachusetts (maybe two?) last I heard. But y'know what ophthos see a lot of? Conjunctivitis. God help them if there's a pinkeye breakout. Not to mention the flu (never had an ACTUAL flu myself, knock on wood) and colds (had tons of those).

Pisses me off - the one thing that the media has said consistently - and correctly - is to WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS! COVID nor no COVID, it's what we should all be doing. And, yes, that means soap-and-water, 2x happy birthday washing, even in normal times. Put the hand sanitizer down, please - it's fine when you're going on and off the T, but it's not a substitute.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I understand it if you've got it set up as a use it or lose it situation. You often end up having people using "sick time" as extra vacation. I think it also depends on how much vacation or paid time off you get. If you don't get that much time, then I understand not wanting to use vacation time when you're sick.

Personally, I get four-and-a-half weeks paid time off every year. That's plenty of time for vacation, and I'm basically never out sick, since I can just work from home. I can also carry over 2 weeks every year, and last year I had to start just taking Fridays off at the end of the year so that I wouldn't lose time.
I mean that's the other issue. If it's a use it or lose it type deal, of course people are going to use every possible day they can, hence why most companies tie vacation, personal, sick into one giant block of PTO and you use it how you need to.

The problem with that though, is that you have people who keep a buffer of days to use towards the end of the year when the weather gets colder, etc for them potentially being sick, and then when it doesn't happen, you have everyone trying to take time off at once the last two weeks of the year. From someone who used to manage people, and do the schedule, that was the worst time of the year because you still have a business to run.

Having everything as one block also leads to people coming into work when they aren't feeling great, so they don't waste their vacation time, then getting everyone else sick in the process.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I just got a strange email from my PCP

He advises IF you are experiencing flu-like symptoms DO NOT COME TO THE HOSPITAL. Instead, call us and we will send a paramedic team to your home for assessment at no charge.
That's awesome. Is it unique to them or is the whole hospital practicing that?

Many states are starting to order insurance companies to waive all expenses associated with testing so I'm sure it is only a matter of time before MA follows suit.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Speaking of work, would anybody with HR experience mind taking a look at my resume. Still looking for work, and not getting much of anything in terms of call backs, etc. Not sure if there's anything else I can improve.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
13 confirmed Covid-19 cases here now in Ireland with 7 of those coming today and the first in my home city Cork. Hundreds of cases expected within 2 weeks.

Time to buy a bubble me thinks..

simpsons13-25.jpg

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I mean that's the other issue. If it's a use it or lose it type deal, of course people are going to use every possible day they can, hence why most companies tie vacation, personal, sick into one giant block of PTO and you use it how you need to.

The problem with that though, is that you have people who keep a buffer of days to use towards the end of the year when the weather gets colder, etc for them potentially being sick, and then when it doesn't happen, you have everyone trying to take time off at once the last two weeks of the year. From someone who used to manage people, and do the schedule, that was the worst time of the year because you still have a business to run.

Having everything as one block also leads to people coming into work when they aren't feeling great, so they don't waste their vacation time, then getting everyone else sick in the process.

Yeah, I'll admit that part of the problem is that these time off policies are one-size fits all, when they really need to consider the difference between the various types of employees you have. I know that I'm lucky that I basically have no restrictions on when I can take time off, and I'm a salaried employee, so it's mostly about getting my work done versus doing a certain number of hours. I know there's another department in my company that basically has a ban on vacation from the end of September until Christmas, since that's their busiest time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad