OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXII - RIP Kenny Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
And if we need a slogan it should be Make Americans Drive Safe Again

2nd child has been run over and killed out here this year. I constantly see reckless drivers on the road out here and its maddening. The 2 seconds it takes to use a blinker could seriously save your life.

no kidding, I feel like I take my life in my hands everytime I drive on Spring Mountain or Desert Inn. Had to learn about the "Vegas red lights" aka, hesitate like 10 seconds because 5 cars are going to run it

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Are there any other disinfectant wipes out there specifically made for electronics?

I'm finding that clorox wipes are leaving a sticky residue (ha ha) behind which is really annoying.
I use Thieves cleaner on everything we own now. It's expensive but will last a while.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Are there any other disinfectant wipes out there specifically made for electronics?

I'm finding that clorox wipes are leaving a sticky residue (ha ha) behind which is really annoying.

Lysol wipes. I use them for everything from keyboards and mice, to food stains on my khakis. No residue, and it's better than Tide Sticks on stains. Note: I'm not a germaphobe type person, so I don't know how they perform against viruses and bacteria (it says "Kills 99.9%" of them). They are just a convenient way to clean around the office.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I have a can of 3M Desk & Office Cleaner. Seems to work OK, just don't wipe screens with it.

Thanks! I'll see if we have any around to try. I use eye glass lens wipes for my screens. They work pretty well.

I use Thieves cleaner on everything we own now. It's expensive but will last a while.

What brand do you use?

Lysol wipes. I use them for everything from keyboards and mice, to food stains on my khakis. No residue, and it's better than Tide Sticks on stains. Note: I'm not a germaphobe type person, so I don't know how they perform against viruses and bacteria (it says "Kills 99.9%" of them). They are just a convenient way to clean around the office.

Thanks!

I got a giant tub of Clorox wipes as a gift from the admins after I was sick last week so I guess I'll have to live with them.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Thanks!

I got a giant tub of Clorox wipes as a gift from the admins after I was sick last week so I guess I'll have to live with them.

I'm very sensitive to bleach smells (headaches/nausea for days), so I stay away from anything named Clorox. I know not all Clorox brand items contain bleach, but better safe than sorry. ;)

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Fire alarm went off at work. Got to see all the pretty fire trucks....

20200305_091138.jpg

Thankfully it was a false alarm. Apparently a new employee in operations accidentally set it off. :help:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

They definitely make screen cleaner wipes, but I don't know if it's technically a disinfectant. I'd advise going for screen cleaner spray instead because the wipes usually dry out quickly, or at least the ones I've used.

I have a screen cleaner spray that I really like, but I can't remember the brand. I'll check when I get home tonight.

Reactions: Alicat

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
They definitely make screen cleaner wipes, but I don't know if it's technically a disinfectant. I'd advise going for screen cleaner spray instead because the wipes usually dry out quickly, or at least the ones I've used.

I have a screen cleaner spray that I really like, but I can't remember the brand. I'll check when I get home tonight.

I use a pledge multi-surface cleaner on my laptop and studio equipment. If stuff is off, a light spray directly on works, or if on, just on a paper towel or cloth then wipe. It is anti-bacterial as well.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
All of this.

I'm up at 4 and leave for the train station by 5:15 because you never know how busy the small lot will be. I typically get to the station by 5:30.

My workday varies but I typically start around 7:30.
I've been lucky that I haven't had to adhere to such a tortuous schedule recently. It's rare that I have to be in the office for *Am meetings, so I'm usually in between 8:30 and 9. But when I'm onsite, I often work until 8,9, 10, or even later. But I've not had to deal with traffic either, so there's that. My new contract starts in Orange County on Monday, so we'll see how that goes with traffic. I still won't be getting up at 4 though. that's like the middle of the night.

For part of the time I worked in East Boston, there was no good way to get there (and trust me I tried them ALL), so I started getting up early so I could be at the EB Y at 6. Getting up that early sucked, but there was still traffic on the road at 5:30. This was about 8 years ago, and I can't imagine things have gotten any better...

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Was always a night owl from my university days. Got my best work done during all-nighters. It's been an unshakable habit since.
Same here till I hit my early 50's. Then things change, instead of going to bed at 6 am I wake up at 5am.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
no kidding, I feel like I take my life in my hands everytime I drive on Spring Mountain or Desert Inn. Had to learn about the "Vegas red lights" aka, hesitate like 10 seconds because 5 cars are going to run it

the worst are the exits are the highway by caesars but I think that’s what u just mentioned. I navigate that everyday to get to work.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
the worst are the exits are the highway by caesars but I think that’s what u just mentioned. I navigate that everyday to get to work.

yeah, same area. Spring Mountain goes by Fashion Mall and Treasure Island and back to Hughes Center. I hate the area that crosses with 15, its like Thunderdome with cars crossing 5 lanes at a time like its normal

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
yeah, same area. Spring Mountain goes by Fashion Mall and Treasure Island and back to Hughes Center. I hate the area that crosses with 15, its like Thunderdome with cars crossing 5 lanes at a time like its normal

It's been that way for a while, too. I lived there from 90-93 and again in 95-96 and it was crap at that time as well.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I haven’t seen the water thing here but I do know that some stores temporarily ran out of bleach.

The issue driving up the panic in some are the mixed messages from the medical professionals and leadership at all levels and the news media’s propensity to cover the worst case scenarios.

The truth is that no one was prepared for it and are trying to play catch up. Everything they are telling people to do is exactly how people handle the flu every year.

Should we be worried, yes absolutely but should we let it consume us to the point where it starts negatively impacting all aspects of life, no.
The regular old flu killed over 34,000 people last year, and last year was right in the middle for the last ten seasons. This year is trending towards being as bad, if not worse than the 17-18 Flu season, which was the worst of the last decade. Potentially as many as 46,000 flu-related deaths. Source: CDC website.

The coronavirus causes more severe symptoms, and hits elderly and immuno-compromised people harder. (initial WHO estimates at 3.4% mortality rate, but that's likely high due to undiagnosed/misdiagnosed (as regular flu)/unreported cases along with suspect data from China) But it does not spread as efficiently as the flu. And to date, there have been 9 total deaths, and less than 200 confirmed cases in the US. We're panic buying bleach, TP (not the "I'm scared" TP either :laugh:), water, etc, for a disease that's got a tiny footprint here.

Less than being unprepared, we are completely overreacting to this, in large part, as you said, due to the media's overplaying the danger (along with other agendas they have). Ironically, the precautions for preventing the spread of flu are the same as those for coronavirus. Wash your hands, cover your mouth for sneezing and coughing, don't touch your mouth or nose, and stay home if you're sick (that's the hardest one in the US, it seems).

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
My reasons were similar. I used to work in consulting and the typical work day was 10-11 hours plus almost three hours of commute. I ended up seeing my son on the weekends, because I used to leave for work when he was asleep and would come home just before he would go to bed. I started going to work to be there by about 6:30 AM so I could make it home in time to spend a couple of hours with him.
My first job in MA was in financial services downtown, and I had a similar story. Biggest reason I changed careers.

Reactions: nazartp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad