OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XX - Neil Peart, drummer and primary lyricist for Rush, dead at 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
20200124_143122.gif

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
"Venerable" isn't the first word that comes to mind when someone mentions T's Pub.

I mean it's no TC's Lounge.

This is a tragedy.

TC's had the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in a bar.

T's Pub went downhill when the people who own the Baseball Tavern bought it and just a month ago they fired a popular bartender (Lisa) who had been there for over 30 years.

Reactions: Runner77

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This **** is why I no longer have employees in addition to not being able to afford them lol. Doing everything myself is very challenging but so is managing employees. Of the two I prefer the former- while it isn't less stress it is a different kind of stress, one that I handle much better.

It's mostly about control, and lack of a need to deal with other people's nonsense. If it's just you it's stressful because everything falls to you to do and the load can't be shared around, but at least you have full control over what gets done when and most importantly how it is done. Work rates and outcomes are much more predictable that way. And having to manage people can just be such a drain on your time and emotional energy. Some people really enjoy or at least tolerate it, and good for them, but from the limited experience I've had in managing staff I certainly know it's not for me - too messy and frustrating.

Reactions: Kovi and BMC

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Just watched Rogue One for the second time, and having seen every Star Wars movie except for the current one, I have to say this is the best of them all. The way they setup the whole story to mesh with Episode 3 was pure genius

Reactions: jgatie and LSCII

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I forgot how much I love audible. I’ve already crushed half of the book I just bought. I’m so glad you can return books because after going through my account, I need to return a few that I’m just never going to read.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Just watched Rogue One for the second time, and having seen every Star Wars movie except for the current one, I have to say this is the best of them all. The way they setup the whole story to mesh with Episode 3 was pure genius

While Empire still holds that spot for me, Rogue One was phenomenal and definitely way up on my list. I'd put it second, right ahead of A New Hope.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It's mostly about control, and lack of a need to deal with other people's nonsense. If it's just you it's stressful because everything falls to you to do and the load can't be shared around, but at least you have full control over what gets done when and most importantly how it is done. Work rates and outcomes are much more predictable that way. And having to manage people can just be such a drain on your time and emotional energy. Some people really enjoy or at least tolerate it, and good for them, but from the limited experience I've had in managing staff I certainly know it's not for me - too messy and frustrating.

Nailed it! :nod::thumbu:

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It's been a struggle for a long time at the apartment to get people to pick up after their dogs. Same thing over and over, you tell the office about the problem, they send an email to everyone saying "naughty, naughty, pick up after your dogs," everyone ignores it, and the problem continues. :banghead:

I have cleaned up after other people's dogs many times but it has been ridiculous lately. So I emailed the complex manager directly this week with pictures. Yes, of poop from the dog/horse/elephant/hippo/whatever pets my lovely neighbors let decorate the yard. Finally, success!! She sent maintenance out and they cleaned it all up. They have never done that before. They are also going to try to pinpoint who the culprits are (instead of telling me to spy on my neighbors and take video). And, they are going to put in some pea gravel in the waste station area that turns into a muddy swamp every time it rains.

:wave:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
While Empire still holds that spot for me, Rogue One was phenomenal and definitely way up on my list. I'd put it second, right ahead of A New Hope.
"A New Hope" will forever just be "Star Wars" to me because that was its only name when it first came out and because I am old and cranky. :laugh: :wally:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Same here, in fact, I started typing Star Wars and had to correct myself before I ran afoul of the Star Wars police. :laugh:
I actually watched it a couple weeks ago on Disney Plus and was disappointed that it was the newer version from the 90s and not the 1977 release. :mad:

Give me the original!!!! :soap:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
NFL guys getting arrested left and right. Looks like they’re off to an early start for the offseason :shakehead

Reactions: LSCII

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It's Perfectly Legal For Your Boss to Tell You to Drive a Nicer Car

Suzanne Lucas runs the Evil HR Lady blog.

Tl;dr - "So, while requiring a nice car is legal, using it as a proxy for financial health is sketchy, and the whole thing is just dumb. If it's important to your company that everyone drives new cars, provide them."

One of the most valuable things I learned early on in my career is that it's not illegal to be an *******, as long as you're an ******* to everyone and not an extra big ******* to specific groups of people. It's also not illegal to be a requiring manager, which is a popular sentiment.

That wasn’t an article I posted. It’s a case study I wrote up to try and illustrate how there may be more to it than what you’re seeing in the viral post.

The article linked in the top post is the one I was referring to.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It's been a struggle for a long time at the apartment to get people to pick up after their dogs. Same thing over and over, you tell the office about the problem, they send an email to everyone saying "naughty, naughty, pick up after your dogs," everyone ignores it, and the problem continues. :banghead:

I have cleaned up after other people's dogs many times but it has been ridiculous lately. So I emailed the complex manager directly this week with pictures. Yes, of poop from the dog/horse/elephant/hippo/whatever pets my lovely neighbors let decorate the yard. Finally, success!! She sent maintenance out and they cleaned it all up. They have never done that before. They are also going to try to pinpoint who the culprits are (instead of telling me to spy on my neighbors and take video). And, they are going to put in some pea gravel in the waste station area that turns into a muddy swamp every time it rains.

:wave:
At our last apartment building in mass before we moved, if you had a pet, you had to pay for a DNA test, so if the poop problem got bad, they could determine who the offenders were. They threatened several times to use it but never did.

Reactions: eightspokedb

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Rogue One got a lot of backlash for no reason when it was released. It's honestly the best movie they've put out since Disney bought the franchise.

Out of the new ones:
1. Rogue One
2. The Force Awakens
3. The Rise of Skywalker
4. The Last Jedi
5. Solo...only because it feels pointless.

Speaking of the new one, there's been some concept art and story released from when Colin Trevorrow was initially directing it. Man do I wish they stuck with him. Not that I disliked what Abrams did, but Treverrow's story seemed a hell of a lot more interesting.

Reactions: LSCII

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I actually watched it a couple weeks ago on Disney Plus and was disappointed that it was the newer version from the 90s and not the 1977 release. :mad:

Give me the original!!!! :soap:
Trust me, I think most Star Wars fans pre-1997 want the originals re-released.

JJ Abrams actually had an interesting comment saying that he asked Disney about releasing the originals, and they said it just "wasn't possible". That leads me to believe there's some sort of contract language from Lucas stating they had to use his updated versions.

Reactions: Olden McGroin

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
This **** is why I no longer have employees in addition to not being able to afford them lol. Doing everything myself is very challenging but so is managing employees. Of the two I prefer the former- while it isn't less stress it is a different kind of stress, one that I handle much better.
I love working “alone.” (Contracting from home, that is)
I love my coworkers so much more when I don’t see them.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I had lunch with my aunt yesterday and found out some info on my grandfathers service that no one ever knew.

He was stationed in Berlin for part of WWII and was a medic by day and a mp at night under Gen. Patton. I also found out that he was discharged with the rank of Staff Seargant.

The one thing we still don’t know is where he was during D Day.

It was incredible.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I had lunch with my aunt yesterday and found out some info on my grandfathers service that no one ever knew.

He was stationed in Berlin for part of WWII and was a medic by day and a mp at night under Gen. Patton. I also found out that he was discharged with the rank of Staff Seargant.

The one thing we still don’t know is where he was during D Day.

It was incredible.

That generation kept a lot of their experiences to themselves. My father was notoriously tight lipped about his WWII experiences.

My 95 year old next door neighbor fought at Normandy and all he would ever tell me about it is “I survived”

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
That generation kept a lot of their experiences to themselves. My father was notoriously tight lipped about his WWII experiences.

My 95 year old next door neighbor fought at Normandy and all he would ever tell me about it is “I survived”
At this point all we want to know is where he was on d day and what countries he spent time in. He was a proud man and it is clear he preferred to keep that part of his life locked away from everyone which I don’t fault him for at all.

I did find the address on where army records are kept so I’m going to pass it to my aunt to see if she can request his military record which will hopefully give us answers.

I’m planning to do a tour over to Germany for my 40th birthday in a few years and it would be nice to see some of the places he was stationed in if possible.

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad