OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XX - Neil Peart, drummer and primary lyricist for Rush, dead at 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
At this point all we want to know is where he was on d day and what countries he spent time in. He was a proud man and it is clear he preferred to keep that part of his life locked away from everyone which I don’t fault him for at all.

I did find the address on where army records are kept so I’m going to pass it to my aunt to see if she can request his military record which will hopefully give us answers.

I’m planning to do a tour over to Germany for my 40th birthday in a few years and it would be nice to see some of the places he was stationed in if possible.

That’s great Ali. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

All I can say about that generation (and they truly are the greatest generation) and why they kept things to themselves is what I know from my father and my father in law and my neighbor. Those guys didn’t believe in self promotion or drawing attention to themselves as it was looked at as being selfish.

I’ll finish the quote from my neighbor that I posted above:

“I came home, many didn’t.”

Reactions: Alicat and BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's been a struggle for a long time at the apartment to get people to pick up after their dogs. Same thing over and over, you tell the office about the problem, they send an email to everyone saying "naughty, naughty, pick up after your dogs," everyone ignores it, and the problem continues. :banghead:

I have cleaned up after other people's dogs many times but it has been ridiculous lately. So I emailed the complex manager directly this week with pictures. Yes, of poop from the dog/horse/elephant/hippo/whatever pets my lovely neighbors let decorate the yard. Finally, success!! She sent maintenance out and they cleaned it all up. They have never done that before. They are also going to try to pinpoint who the culprits are (instead of telling me to spy on my neighbors and take video). And, they are going to put in some pea gravel in the waste station area that turns into a muddy swamp every time it rains.

:wave:

Those in my building seem to be on top of things although I found a mess literally behind a car in our parking lot the other day but we also have a hotel right near us that has dogs and they never pick up a thing. Even worse are those who have picked up their dogs "gifts" then simply chuck the bag anywhere but in a garbage....don`t get it

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just saw online that a young police officer was killed in Virginia and she grew up in Hudson, NH

2013 New Hampshire high school graduate killed in line of duty

Officials said Newport News, Virginia, Officer Katie Thyne was killed Thursday night during a traffic stop. Police said a driver accelerated after an encounter with Thyne, dragging her. She was taken to a nearby hospital, where she died of her injuries.

The driver fled the scene before crashing a short time later. He was taken into custody, police said.

Reactions: Runner77

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Just saw online that a young police officer was killed in Virginia and she grew up in Hudson, NH

2013 New Hampshire high school graduate killed in line of duty

Officials said Newport News, Virginia, Officer Katie Thyne was killed Thursday night during a traffic stop. Police said a driver accelerated after an encounter with Thyne, dragging her. She was taken to a nearby hospital, where she died of her injuries.

The driver fled the scene before crashing a short time later. He was taken into custody, police said.
How awful. :(

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Earlier because we were rushing to make a tee time I actually had a quick breakfast at McD's - it was actually very good

83190127_10219798788292872_1052637295305293824_n.jpg

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
For sure. To me the added effects don't seem to fit with the 1977 footage.

Here's the original scene with the 'human' Jabba:

That scene added nothing to the movie. Nothing! And it ruined the long wait to see what Jabba actually looks like.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Does anyone here use Apple TV or Apple TV plus? How the f*** do you get that app? I have a smart tv but it's not available as an app for it, and we got a year long free subscription that we want to use. I'm baffled and I'm certainly not watching shit on an ipad because that's just stupid.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Does anyone here use Apple TV or Apple TV plus? How the **** do you get that app? I have a smart tv but it's not available as an app for it, and we got a year long free subscription that we want to use. I'm baffled and I'm certainly not watching **** on an ipad because that's just stupid.

From what I know Apple doesn’t integrate it with most smart TVs especially ones with Android TV. You can cast it from your iPad, but I don’t even think it’s integrated with Roku.

All part of Apple being Apple...

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Good news as my Norwegian forest cat is back home. Our neighbor across the street brought him over yesterday, he was in their backyard. We brought him to the vet and he was generally in good health. Other then being sore, tired and dehydrated being on his own for 5 days, with the temps dropping to -14 Celsius at night. We rescued Oreo as a abandoned kitten in a barn at my wife's workplace, we are thrilled to have him back. My dog Shiloh is so jealous of the attention she is not getting since Oreo is back. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Good news as my Norwegian forest cat is back home. Our neighbor across the street brought him over yesterday, he was in their backyard. We brought him to the vet and he was generally in good health. Other then being sore, tired and dehydrated being on his own for 5 days, with the temps dropping to -14 Celsius at night. We rescued Oreo as a abandoned kitten in a barn at my wife's workplace and are glad to have him back. My dog Shiloh is so jealous of the attention she is not getting since Oreo is back. Thanks for the kind words everyone.
He's named after a cookie!! :heart:

Glad you got him back and he is okay :)

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Welp.....I gotta do something. Blood pressure way too high and belt size way too big.

I have this being deliver3d next Saturday.
Commercial 2950 Treadmill | NordicTrack

If I disappear afterwards it probably means I croaked.

Although I do like the idea of walking my old neighborhood or beaches or Paris and London.

Here goes nothin’.
Good for you. :)

I've been thinking of going down to our newly renovated fitness center at the apartment. I need to put some action with that thinking.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Good news as my Norwegian forest cat is back home. Our neighbor across the street brought him over yesterday, he was in their backyard. We brought him to the vet and he was generally in good health. Other then being sore, tired and dehydrated being on his own for 5 days, with the temps dropping to -14 Celsius at night. We rescued Oreo as a abandoned kitten in a barn at my wife's workplace, we are thrilled to have him back. My dog Shiloh is so jealous of the attention she is not getting since Oreo is back. Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Yay! Welcome home Oreo!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Welp.....I gotta do something. Blood pressure way too high and belt size way too big.

I have this being deliver3d next Saturday.
Commercial 2950 Treadmill | NordicTrack

If I disappear afterwards it probably means I croaked.

Although I do like the idea of walking my old neighborhood or beaches or Paris and London.

Here goes nothin’.
I plan on getting back in the pool this week. The goal is 3 days. Slow and steady. Good luck and god speed! :)

Reactions: Gee Wally

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Great news!

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Woooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :thumbu::hockey::clap::wave::5::vhappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad