OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XX - Neil Peart, drummer and primary lyricist for Rush, dead at 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That looks like something straight out of the Flinstones

DXeIiCGVAAAZn33.jpg

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Anyone concerned about this pandemic? This is going to sound premature but there is a >0 chance of pro sports being shut down if this thing gets bad. In an arena with 17,000 people is the last place you would want to be if this got bad. No doubt in China that pro sports is already shut down.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Anyone concerned about this pandemic? This is going to sound premature but there is a >0 chance of pro sports being shut down if this thing gets bad. In an arena with 17,000 people is the last place you would want to be if this got bad. No doubt in China that pro sports is already shut down.

The entire city of Wuhan has been shutdown and this is a city larger than New York

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The entire city of Wuhan has been shutdown and this is a city larger than New York

really need to take this seriously.
I sometimes am amazed with some that say ‘no worries. China is way far away’.

A virus only needs ‘Patient 1’ here.
This isnt science fiction.

Where we are a worldwide corp. we have already begun on a pandemic plan.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Just learned that a childhood friend has committed suicide. He had been struggling with depression & alcohol abuse since his marriage broke up a few years ago. Left behind 2 daughters.

**** it all.
That is horrible.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
really need to take this seriously.
I sometimes am amazed with some that say ‘no worries. China is way far away’.

A virus only needs ‘Patient 1’ here.
This isnt science fiction.

Where we are a worldwide corp. we have already begun on a pandemic plan.

There are several non-stops from Wuhan to the US - Thank goodness the Chinese are being upfront about it

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Good news as my Norwegian forest cat is back home. Our neighbor across the street brought him over yesterday, he was in their backyard. We brought him to the vet and he was generally in good health. Other then being sore, tired and dehydrated being on his own for 5 days, with the temps dropping to -14 Celsius at night. We rescued Oreo as a abandoned kitten in a barn at my wife's workplace, we are thrilled to have him back. My dog Shiloh is so jealous of the attention she is not getting since Oreo is back. Thanks for the kind words everyone.
I am very happy to hear this. What a beautiful kitty !

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
A heart warming ice hockey story from Northern Ireland.

Ice hockey: Belfast Giants give boy with genetic disorder 'reason to fight'

By Ali GordonBBC News NI
  • 25 January 2020
p081cspv.jpg

"Is my blood teal?"
It may sound like a surprising question for a doctor to hear - but this isn't just any patient. This is Blake McCaughey, a Belfast Giants superfan.
The 12-year-old, from Tandragee in County Armagh, has a rare genetic disorder that means he will spend the foreseeable future in hospital, hooked up to pumps, for up to 20 hours a day.
But ice hockey has become "the reason he fights so hard through all these challenges".
He spends hours every day watching the sport from his hospital bed, which has been brightened up with teal pillows, in support of his beloved team.

When player Spiro Goulakos broke his ice hockey stick, it was used to make Blake a new pair of crutches.
"For Blake, life is hockey - everything that drives him through rough times will be about hockey and the Giants," his mum, Christine, told BBC News NI.
_110617917_photo22-01-2020221927.jpg

Blake was born with two chromosome deletions and abnormal muscle fibres.
By the time he was 16 months old, he had had 33 hospital admissions and battled pneumonia 19 times. Since then, he has been designated "nil by mouth".
In May 2017, he had open-heart surgery.
"When he was coming round from surgery, one of the Belfast Giants was there, holding his hand," said Christine.
_110618106_photo23-01-2020093516.jpg

Blake recovered well but, two years later, his health declined: His gut and bowel stopped absorbing nutrients and his heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature dangerously lowered.
Just last week he had more surgery to help with feeding and he will remain in hospital until he has gained weight.
"When Blake has a bad day, a simple photo or video call from one of his hockey buddies helps him keep fighting," said Christine.
"The Giants have always been a rock to Blake and us, and Blake has no bones in saying that Belfast Giants head coach Adam Keefe is his best mate, although he doesn't like Adam getting cross on game nights on the bench."
_110617924_photo22-01-2020221928.jpg

Image captionBlake's family have become big fans of the Belfast Giants over the last four years
When Blake is well enough to leave the hospital, watching ice hockey is always at the top of his to-do list. It's even better when he gets to go with his little sister Pixie.
"He hates to miss a game," said Christine.
"Unlike most 12 year olds, Blake will never get to experience playing hockey but, with friends like the Belfast Giants, they make the impossible very possible and on a few occasions have had Blake out of his wheelchair, pull on the skates and be held whilst he skates in the SSE Arena."
His love for ice hockey has even caught the attention of other teams in the Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL), the UK's premier competition, who send him videos and messages of love and support.
"Social media has brought us many friends on our journey from far and wide, and especially the hockey community," said Christine.
"Every team in the EIHL has looked after Blake so well and he's got good friends on every team. They have all reached out when Blake has needed a little encouragement along the way.
"Players for the Giants come and go, depending on their contracts, but some of our closest friends have been found through the Giants and no matter where they are in the world, they still keep very much in touch," she added.
_110618108_photo22-01-2020222040.jpg

"We use social media to spread awareness of Blake's condition and to share his amazing attitude to life, the strength and courage he has pulls us all through. His personality is one of a kind.
"When you meet him for the first time, you will see a shy little boy in a wheelchair but he's an absolute character and fond of the girls, especially nurses and doctors!
"He is a mischievous, fun-loving, hockey-crazed boy who spends hours watching hockey, talking hockey and even sleeps in hockey bedding.
"Blake loves everything teal and they are the reason he fights so hard through all these challenges."

Giants give brave Blake 'fight' for rare condition

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
A heart warming ice hockey story from Northern Ireland.

Ice hockey: Belfast Giants give boy with genetic disorder 'reason to fight'

By Ali GordonBBC News NI
  • 25 January 2020
p081cspv.jpg

"Is my blood teal?"
It may sound like a surprising question for a doctor to hear - but this isn't just any patient. This is Blake McCaughey, a Belfast Giants superfan.
The 12-year-old, from Tandragee in County Armagh, has a rare genetic disorder that means he will spend the foreseeable future in hospital, hooked up to pumps, for up to 20 hours a day.
But ice hockey has become "the reason he fights so hard through all these challenges".
He spends hours every day watching the sport from his hospital bed, which has been brightened up with teal pillows, in support of his beloved team.

When player Spiro Goulakos broke his ice hockey stick, it was used to make Blake a new pair of crutches.
"For Blake, life is hockey - everything that drives him through rough times will be about hockey and the Giants," his mum, Christine, told BBC News NI.
_110617917_photo22-01-2020221927.jpg

Blake was born with two chromosome deletions and abnormal muscle fibres.
By the time he was 16 months old, he had had 33 hospital admissions and battled pneumonia 19 times. Since then, he has been designated "nil by mouth".
In May 2017, he had open-heart surgery.
"When he was coming round from surgery, one of the Belfast Giants was there, holding his hand," said Christine.
_110618106_photo23-01-2020093516.jpg

Blake recovered well but, two years later, his health declined: His gut and bowel stopped absorbing nutrients and his heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature dangerously lowered.
Just last week he had more surgery to help with feeding and he will remain in hospital until he has gained weight.
"When Blake has a bad day, a simple photo or video call from one of his hockey buddies helps him keep fighting," said Christine.
"The Giants have always been a rock to Blake and us, and Blake has no bones in saying that Belfast Giants head coach Adam Keefe is his best mate, although he doesn't like Adam getting cross on game nights on the bench."
_110617924_photo22-01-2020221928.jpg

Image captionBlake's family have become big fans of the Belfast Giants over the last four years
When Blake is well enough to leave the hospital, watching ice hockey is always at the top of his to-do list. It's even better when he gets to go with his little sister Pixie.
"He hates to miss a game," said Christine.
"Unlike most 12 year olds, Blake will never get to experience playing hockey but, with friends like the Belfast Giants, they make the impossible very possible and on a few occasions have had Blake out of his wheelchair, pull on the skates and be held whilst he skates in the SSE Arena."
His love for ice hockey has even caught the attention of other teams in the Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL), the UK's premier competition, who send him videos and messages of love and support.
"Social media has brought us many friends on our journey from far and wide, and especially the hockey community," said Christine.
"Every team in the EIHL has looked after Blake so well and he's got good friends on every team. They have all reached out when Blake has needed a little encouragement along the way.
"Players for the Giants come and go, depending on their contracts, but some of our closest friends have been found through the Giants and no matter where they are in the world, they still keep very much in touch," she added.
_110618108_photo22-01-2020222040.jpg

"We use social media to spread awareness of Blake's condition and to share his amazing attitude to life, the strength and courage he has pulls us all through. His personality is one of a kind.
"When you meet him for the first time, you will see a shy little boy in a wheelchair but he's an absolute character and fond of the girls, especially nurses and doctors!
"He is a mischievous, fun-loving, hockey-crazed boy who spends hours watching hockey, talking hockey and even sleeps in hockey bedding.
"Blake loves everything teal and they are the reason he fights so hard through all these challenges."

Giants give brave Blake 'fight' for rare condition

Damn dust in my eyes....

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I just got one of the best phone calls of my career- client had a fire in their garage yesterday. I reported the claim to the company & got the claims process started. Client calls this morning- I see the name in caller ID and think, "oh **** here we go they're not happy with something" because 99 times out of 100 that's what a call back is for. Nope. They are delighted with the service they've gotten from me and the insurance company, the adjuster said that because they have excellent coverage the repairs & contents damage will be covered 100% just minus their deductible. So they're very happy about that too and wanted to let me know.

I haven't stopped smiling since I hung up. :vhappy:

Funny thing about encouragement & thankfullness. It lifts both the receiver and the sender.

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I havent been to Hudson NH since Bensons closed.
Well I grew up in Littleton MA . I moved here when my daughter was going into 4th grade because the public schools were highly rated and the schools in the town were had been living in were not good.

She got into one of the little Ivy Universities so I guess it was true ! It is not a wealthy town but they spend $ on the schools. (I cannot speak to now as she graduated many years ago).

When we first moved here the elephants were still living at the Benson's property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad