OT: Off Topic 2019 part XV - NO Politics! ...none, nil, nada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Don't these look good?
336253.jpg

Here's the recipe!
I have no words. Brett would probably love them though.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
My problem is I'm not a vegetable person. Corn, peas, string beans & potatoes (which I'm going to have to cut way back on, too many carbs!) and that's it. I've never liked the smell, taste or texture of most vegetables. :dunno:

Most vegetables taste great mixed with some olive oil and garlic, roasted in the oven, then topped with grated Parmesan.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Story time

I’m at the lady’s house. It’s in New Bedford. Not the greatest part either. I walk in around 830pm and the alarm system chirps at me funny. I disarm it. Then chirps again and reads “motion was detected in living room while in alarmed state.” I shut the door and leave. Nope. Not today Satan. I’ve been setting and disarming this house for two years and this has never happened. I actually tripped the alarm myself one time and this still didn’t happen this way. So i call the lady friend to see what’s up. She has no idea but now I’m freaked out. So i brave the outdoors and risk EEE until the neighbors show up.

The neighbor is a cop. Her boyfriend is a big guy. For comparison, I’m what most what call a very unassuming and extremely non threatening type, to say the least. The cop has a pistol on her hip, the guy has a telescoping baton and a sick Iron Maiden shirt on. At this point I’m not sure what I’m most excited about, but i digress.

They march through. We march through and clear the house. Still no idea wtf set the alarm off but I’m not sleeping tonight. No chance.

Honest question, does this make me a massive piece of shit for not just walking through myself, or was getting a cop and another armed individual in here the better play?

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Story time

I’m at the lady’s house. It’s in New Bedford. Not the greatest part either. I walk in around 830pm and the alarm system chirps at me funny. I disarm it. Then chirps again and reads “motion was detected in living room while in alarmed state.” I shut the door and leave. Nope. Not today Satan. I’ve been setting and disarming this house for two years and this has never happened. I actually tripped the alarm myself one time and this still didn’t happen this way. So i call the lady friend to see what’s up. She has no idea but now I’m freaked out. So i brave the outdoors and risk EEE until the neighbors show up.

The neighbor is a cop. Her boyfriend is a big guy. For comparison, I’m what most what call a very unassuming and extremely non threatening type, to say the least. The cop has a pistol on her hip, the guy has a telescoping baton and a sick Iron Maiden shirt on. At this point I’m not sure what I’m most excited about, but i digress.

They march through. We march through and clear the house. Still no idea wtf set the alarm off but I’m not sleeping tonight. No chance.

Honest question, does this make me a massive piece of **** for not just walking through myself, or was getting a cop and another armed individual in here the better play?
tenor.gif

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Most vegetables taste great mixed with some olive oil and garlic, roasted in the oven, then topped with grated Parmesan.
This is a good post. I've shunned vegetables a good part of my life, but once you hit the age that doctors start harassing you about diet, you need to adapt. Grilling and stir-frying also can make them edible with good seasoning. Still a side though for grilled meat, but I've cut back on the pasta/potato carb sides.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

I just spend 3 days in Portland, went to Eventide for some oysters and the brown butter asian inspired lobster roll.

Also went to wiscasset for the lobters rolls and whole belly fried clams at Red's.
Also did Bob's clams shack in Portland. Very disappointed everything was lacking seasoning and tasted the same. Clams, scallops or fish.
Bad luck I guess, forgetting to season fried food sucks big time.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I just spend 3 days in Portland, went to Eventide for some oysters and the brown butter asian inspired lobster roll.

Also went to wiscasset for the lobters rolls and whole belly fried clams at Red's.
Also did Bob's clams shack in Portland. Very disappointed everything was lacking seasoning and tasted the same. Clams, scallops or fish.
Bad luck I guess, forgetting to season fried food sucks big time.

Nothing at all? Even just a lil pepper goes a long way

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Story time

Honest question, does this make me a massive piece of **** for not just walking through myself, or was getting a cop and another armed individual in here the better play?
Unarmed no, I would have done the same thing.

By myself and carrying, different story.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Back to (hopefully) everyone's favorite subject: food.

Since we brought up Alton Brown, does anyone watch Food Network any more?

I dropped it like a bad habit once they morphed into all competition shows all the time. I have ZERO interest in watching any of these shows that they have on like what's listed for today:

5:00 PM Alton's Challenge, Part 1
Episode 3402
Alton Brown is taking over the Chopped Kitchen for an epic five-part tournament! With $50,000 on the line, the first four chefs bravely take on his challenge. For this first battle, Alton demonstrates the science behind smoking foods, and the chefs are encouraged to infuse every dish with smoky flavor. Tiny radishes and a strangely savory cookie are in the mix for round one. Alton whips up a signature smoked item for the second basket, then an exotic drink is the smoky component in basket number three.
More About This Episode

6:00 PM Alton's Challenge, Part 2
Episode 3403
In the second Alton's Challenge battle, there's a dehydration theme for the baskets, and Alton Brown demonstrates a home hack that makes removing moisture from food a breeze. The first round has the chefs making quick use of instant mashed potatoes, then an Alton specialty is one of the mandatory ingredients for the entree round. A diabolical dessert basket has the chefs scrambling to make dehydrated eggs work in their final plates.
More About This Episode

7:00 PM Alton's Challenge, Part 3
Episode 3404
The chefs explore the wonders of molecular gastronomy in the third Alton's Challenge battle. Making a powder from a fat and clearing up the problem with transparent ravioli are some of the struggles in round one. In the entree round, the chefs get lamb cooked with a modernist method and some new age noodles. Then, a cake that looks and tastes like a drop of water gives the last pair of chefs a perplexing puzzle to solve for dessert.
More About This Episode

8:00 PM Alton's Challenge, Grand Finale
Episode 3405
Expect the ultimate in brainy, zany baskets from Alton Brown, as four Challenge champions return to fight for $50,000! Ingredients harken back to the themes of the preliminary battles: molecular gastronomy, smoke, dehydration and fermentation. In the first round, a small fish and a strange condiment puzzle the champs. A stunningly-presented protein and a jar of something stinky are in the entree basket. Finally, Alton makes a grand entrance in the dessert round to demonstrate the science of one of the ingredients, before an unprecedented turn of events.
More About This Episode

9:00 PM Hot Dog Hot Shots
Episode 4004
Four talented chefs work to stay focused and stay sharp in this competition. They're surprised by a strange hot dog creation in the first basket, but they push on with some delicious results. The entree basket contains a can of something that's not usually used in gourmet cuisine, and the two determined competitors who move onto the dessert round get to make final dishes using a yummy cake and a Japanese drink.
More About This Episode

10:00 PM Date Night Fry Day
Episode 101
Alex Guarnaschelli welcomes four chefs to stake out shoppers at Gelson's Market in Thousand Oaks, Calif. Judges Eddie Jackson and Bricia Lopez watch as one chef gets breakfast food for Chinese takeout while another fries up some family favorites. The last two chefs standing duke it out for the ultimate date night dish.
More About This Episode

I know Guy Fieri is a lightning rod, but I learned a boatload from the people in the restaurants he visited on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. That was the great thing about that show.

Emeril Lagasse was also like him in that he was a celebrity, (BAM!) but the man knew his stuff. I don't know, I guess I miss the shows like Sara Moulton had where they, you know, showed you how to make things.

Shows like the Barefoot Contessa left me cold because 95% of the general audience wouldn't even eat what she made never mind make it. Which is why I liked Emeril because what he showed how to make most people would like and try to make.

Alton Brown was cheesy as all hell, but that was his hook and his show was always entertaining and I always learned something cool every time

I loved Alton’s Good Eats...I think that was the name of it.

I like chopped but don’t really watch any of the other competition shows.

You’re right about Diners Drive In’s and Dives....you learn a lot from the chefs at the places Fieri visits.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Story time

I know from my own experiences that it’s never a bad idea to listen to your instincts. That’s what they’re there for. It’s better to be a little over cautious for no reason than to walk blindly into a bad situation.

You did the right thing.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Give me HGTV and I can survive indefinitely. Especially Property Brothers and Fixer Upper. Love the renovation shows. Even Flip or Flop before Tarek and Christina couldn't stand each other anymore. But it all started with This Old House and Hometime.

If I watch HGTV too long, I just get jealous that everyone has either:

A. A better house than me
B. More money than me
Or
C. Both

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I watched an episode of House Hunters the other week where the wife's dealbreaker was that the front door of the house had to face east because it's "good luck".
Some of the lists of demands these people come up with amaze me. I mean I'm sure at least some of it is dramatized because, yes, it's a TV show, but come on.

I got tired of hearing everyone swoon over "open floor plans." I prefer my cave-like 1100 square foot apartment :laugh:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Nothing at all? Even just a lil pepper goes a long way
Specially salt, it brings all the flavors out.
In the end I think it's a Maine thing, it was the same thing at Red's famous 2 hours wait in line for a lobster roll.
At least a pound of meat, no kidding.
It wasn't as fresh, tasty or juicy as I would like, the fact that's it's still cold from the fridge also didn't help with the taste.

In the end lobster and big belly fried clams were on the bland side.
Also like Bob's big belly clams you dont get what makes the big belly clams soo god damn tasty... the briny liquid in the belly.

I was expecting greatness from people who's been doing it for generations.

20190819_173105.jpg
20190821_073350.jpg
20190819_173108-1.jpg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I don’t even think that can be called a lobster roll. It’s just a bucket full of cold lobster that happens to be served with a bun. I normally like them warmed, but cold is ok if served properly.

All that being said, sign me up it still looks great.

Reactions: Strafer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad