OT: Off Topic 2019 part XV - NO Politics! ...none, nil, nada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yes officer, I get you pulled me over for drinking in driving, but in fairness I do it all the time and I've never hit anything. Well, as far as I know. So since I never got in an accident, I'm sure I can just go on my way, right?? :laugh:

Logic, it's not for everyone...
:laugh: precisely, me thinks the OP will not be happy with the lack of support here

Reactions: LSCII

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Just got a text from my cousin telling me that her 16 year old son was practicing in Boston this a.m. and ended up filling in in net with the group of Bruins that were skating after his team was done.

She didn't have any info about how it went, but I'll post anything interesting later.

As an aside, this kid was invited to the US Development camp last summer as a 15 year old and did pretty well.

I can't wait to hear from him about how he felt about today.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Back to (hopefully) everyone's favorite subject: food.

Since we brought up Alton Brown, does anyone watch Food Network any more?

I dropped it like a bad habit once they morphed into all competition shows all the time. I have ZERO interest in watching any of these shows that they have on like what's listed for today:

5:00 PM Alton's Challenge, Part 1
Episode 3402
Alton Brown is taking over the Chopped Kitchen for an epic five-part tournament! With $50,000 on the line, the first four chefs bravely take on his challenge. For this first battle, Alton demonstrates the science behind smoking foods, and the chefs are encouraged to infuse every dish with smoky flavor. Tiny radishes and a strangely savory cookie are in the mix for round one. Alton whips up a signature smoked item for the second basket, then an exotic drink is the smoky component in basket number three.
More About This Episode

6:00 PM Alton's Challenge, Part 2
Episode 3403
In the second Alton's Challenge battle, there's a dehydration theme for the baskets, and Alton Brown demonstrates a home hack that makes removing moisture from food a breeze. The first round has the chefs making quick use of instant mashed potatoes, then an Alton specialty is one of the mandatory ingredients for the entree round. A diabolical dessert basket has the chefs scrambling to make dehydrated eggs work in their final plates.
More About This Episode

7:00 PM Alton's Challenge, Part 3
Episode 3404
The chefs explore the wonders of molecular gastronomy in the third Alton's Challenge battle. Making a powder from a fat and clearing up the problem with transparent ravioli are some of the struggles in round one. In the entree round, the chefs get lamb cooked with a modernist method and some new age noodles. Then, a cake that looks and tastes like a drop of water gives the last pair of chefs a perplexing puzzle to solve for dessert.
More About This Episode

8:00 PM Alton's Challenge, Grand Finale
Episode 3405
Expect the ultimate in brainy, zany baskets from Alton Brown, as four Challenge champions return to fight for $50,000! Ingredients harken back to the themes of the preliminary battles: molecular gastronomy, smoke, dehydration and fermentation. In the first round, a small fish and a strange condiment puzzle the champs. A stunningly-presented protein and a jar of something stinky are in the entree basket. Finally, Alton makes a grand entrance in the dessert round to demonstrate the science of one of the ingredients, before an unprecedented turn of events.
More About This Episode

9:00 PM Hot Dog Hot Shots
Episode 4004
Four talented chefs work to stay focused and stay sharp in this competition. They're surprised by a strange hot dog creation in the first basket, but they push on with some delicious results. The entree basket contains a can of something that's not usually used in gourmet cuisine, and the two determined competitors who move onto the dessert round get to make final dishes using a yummy cake and a Japanese drink.
More About This Episode

10:00 PM Date Night Fry Day
Episode 101
Alex Guarnaschelli welcomes four chefs to stake out shoppers at Gelson's Market in Thousand Oaks, Calif. Judges Eddie Jackson and Bricia Lopez watch as one chef gets breakfast food for Chinese takeout while another fries up some family favorites. The last two chefs standing duke it out for the ultimate date night dish.
More About This Episode

I know Guy Fieri is a lightning rod, but I learned a boatload from the people in the restaurants he visited on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. That was the great thing about that show.

Emeril Lagasse was also like him in that he was a celebrity, (BAM!) but the man knew his stuff. I don't know, I guess I miss the shows like Sara Moulton had where they, you know, showed you how to make things.

Shows like the Barefoot Contessa left me cold because 95% of the general audience wouldn't even eat what she made never mind make it. Which is why I liked Emeril because what he showed how to make most people would like and try to make.

Alton Brown was cheesy as all hell, but that was his hook and his show was always entertaining and I always learned something cool every time

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

I dropped it like a bad habit once they morphed into all competition shows all the time. I have ZERO interest in watching any of these shows that they have on like what's listed for today:

Episode 3402
Alton Brown is taking over the Chopped Kitchen for an epic five-part tournament! With $50,000 on the line, the first four chefs bravely take on his challenge. For this first battle, Alton demonstrates the science behind smoking foods, and the chefs are encouraged to infuse every dish with smoky flavor. Tiny radishes and a strangely savory cookie are in the mix for round one. Alton whips up a signature smoked item for the second basket, then an exotic drink is the smoky component in basket number three.
More About This Episode

Episode 3403
In the second Alton's Challenge battle, there's a dehydration theme for the baskets, and Alton Brown demonstrates a home hack that makes removing moisture from food a breeze. The first round has the chefs making quick use of instant mashed potatoes, then an Alton specialty is one of the mandatory ingredients for the entree round. A diabolical dessert basket has the chefs scrambling to make dehydrated eggs work in their final plates.
More About This Episode

Episode 3404
The chefs explore the wonders of molecular gastronomy in the third Alton's Challenge battle. Making a powder from a fat and clearing up the problem with transparent ravioli are some of the struggles in round one. In the entree round, the chefs get lamb cooked with a modernist method and some new age noodles. Then, a cake that looks and tastes like a drop of water gives the last pair of chefs a perplexing puzzle to solve for dessert.
More About This Episode

Episode 3405
Expect the ultimate in brainy, zany baskets from Alton Brown, as four Challenge champions return to fight for $50,000! Ingredients harken back to the themes of the preliminary battles: molecular gastronomy, smoke, dehydration and fermentation. In the first round, a small fish and a strange condiment puzzle the champs. A stunningly-presented protein and a jar of something stinky are in the entree basket. Finally, Alton makes a grand entrance in the dessert round to demonstrate the science of one of the ingredients, before an unprecedented turn of events.
More About This Episode

Episode 4004
Four talented chefs work to stay focused and stay sharp in this competition. They're surprised by a strange hot dog creation in the first basket, but they push on with some delicious results. The entree basket contains a can of something that's not usually used in gourmet cuisine, and the two determined competitors who move onto the dessert round get to make final dishes using a yummy cake and a Japanese drink.
More About This Episode

Episode 101
Alex Guarnaschelli welcomes four chefs to stake out shoppers at Gelson's Market in Thousand Oaks, Calif. Judges Eddie Jackson and Bricia Lopez watch as one chef gets breakfast food for Chinese takeout while another fries up some family favorites. The last two chefs standing duke it out for the ultimate date night dish.
More About This Episode

I know Guy Fieri is a lightning rod, but I learned a boatload from the people in the restaurants he visited on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. That was the great thing about that show.

Emeril Lagasse was also like him in that he was a celebrity, (BAM!) but the man knew his stuff. I don't know, I guess I miss the shows like Sara Moulton had where they, you know, showed you how to make things.

Shows like the Barefoot Contessa left me cold because 95% of the general audience wouldn't even eat what she made never mind make it. Which is why I liked Emeril because what he showed how to make most people would like and try to make.

Alton Brown was cheesy as all hell, but that was his hook and his show was always entertaining and I always learned something cool every time
Im right there with you. I've also learned a lot on the baking side of things from, as much as I hate to admit it, Martha Stewart. My brownies and carrot cake recipes would not be what they are with out her. I hate her so much, it kills me lol

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Episode 3402
More About This Episode

Episode 3403
More About This Episode

Episode 3404
More About This Episode

Episode 3405
More About This Episode

Episode 4004
More About This Episode

Episode 101
More About This Episode

Love Guy, and his shows. Don't care that other people hate him at all. Also love Bobby Flay, but BBQ and tex/mex are a big part of my life so it's not surprising I'd be a fan. Also a huge fan of Tyler Florence. He gets underrated but every recipe of his that we used was tremendous.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Just got a text from my cousin telling me that her 16 year old son was practicing in Boston this a.m. and ended up filling in in net with the group of Bruins that were skating after his team was done.

She didn't have any info about how it went, but I'll post anything interesting later.

As an aside, this kid was invited to the US Development camp last summer as a 15 year old and did pretty well.

I can't wait to hear from him about how he felt about today.
That must be exciting for that kid !

Reactions: sarge88

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Just got this in an email from my town:

The Town of Grafton was notified yesterday by MDPH and the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources that they are developing a plan for aerial spraying. Due to the critical risk level assigned by the state, the DAR will conduct aerial spraying in Grafton. Once more information is available on the dates of these events, we will send another update. There is more information on Triple E on the Grafton webpage.

:confused:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just got this in an email from my town:

The Town of Grafton was notified yesterday by MDPH and the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources that they are developing a plan for aerial spraying. Due to the critical risk level assigned by the state, the DAR will conduct aerial spraying in Grafton. Once more information is available on the dates of these events, we will send another update. There is more information on Triple E on the Grafton webpage.

:confused:
upload_2019-8-20_15-28-18.png

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Love Guy, and his shows. Don't care that other people hate him at all. Also love Bobby Flay, but BBQ and tex/mex are a big part of my life so it's not surprising I'd be a fan. Also a huge fan of Tyler Florence. He gets underrated but every recipe of his that we used was tremendous.

I don't mind Guy Fieri to a point because it seems to me that the character he's playing is really what he is. :dunno: So I guess he's genuine and he does have a passion for what he does and he's very good at it. Bobby Flay just strikes me as an arrogant type

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Im right there with you. I've also learned a lot on the baking side of things from, as much as I hate to admit it, Martha Stewart. My brownies and carrot cake recipes would not be what they are with out her. I hate her so much, it kills me lol

You want to see something funny- watch her show with Snoop Dog. I don't like her any more than you do but that show is a hoot.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't mind Guy Fieri to a point because it seems to me that the character he's playing is really what he is. :dunno: So I guess he's genuine and he does have a passion for what he does and he's very good at it. Bobby Flay just strikes me as an arrogant type

Flay is definitely full of himself. I just like the stuff he cooks, so I let that go. His daughter is also a chef and she was on barstool for a pizza review. Very funny and very feisty.

Fieri is a great guy by all accounts. He visited a diner the next town over from me, and they all said he was hilarious and really how you see him act on the show.

https://www.charliesdiner.com/

I've eaten here many times and it's very good, regardless of what you get.

My wife and I were also very big fans of Anthony Bourdaine. Sucks how he went out, but his shows were incredible to watch.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
The best thing about Alton Brown's show was when he went into the chemistry of cooking. I love knowing why certain foods and combinations react the way they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad