Mario Golf
NHL 94
Faceoff 98
Mutant League Hockey

I’m just going off the cuff here but i put all those titles ahead

dusty diamond.
great effin game.

best sports games of alltime for me
probably sammy sosa high heat baseball and larussa 2 baseball. both on the pc.
played so much of those 2.
unfortunately no hockey game has come close to those 2 as far as gameplay, sim, funfactor, and stats combined.

if nhl2k series ever made it to pc i think that wouldve been legit.

Reactions: TD Charlie

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Uber is going to be your friend in San Diego, mostly just because it's so big. I'd look at the Gaslamp Quarter or downtown - lots of hotel choices, though they will be a bit more expensive because they're closer to stuff. You may also like the Old Town area - more historic stuff. You can take the train to San Ysidro and jump over the border to Tijuana, but it's pretty touristy. Probably better uses of time in the area.

@Gee Wally to piggy back off of the post above...

Definitely Uber/Lyft. There's a million of them around, and you can get from one end of the city to the other for $10-15 max.

I'll also second Old Town area. A lot history in such a small area, plenty of resturants and some shops around.

Also, definitely check out Gaslamp District. There's plenty of places to eat in Gaslamp. I'd recommend SearSucker. Just great food, and a nice atmosphere. Directly across the street is a place called Barley Mash, which is nice for a quick beer and bite, but with food a bit more upscale than regular bar food.

Depending on when you're planning on heading out there, if you're into baseball, I'd recommend checking out Petco regardless of who the Padres are playing. It's an awesome park.

I know you mentioned your wife wanting to see the Zoo, definitely do it. It's huge, and you easily could spend the whole day there. Close by is Balboa Park, which has some museums, the rose gardens on the far end, food trucks on Fridays in the spring/summer. My wife has a friend that works at the open air bar there as well. Say hi for us :)

USS Midway is absolutely worth seeing as well. It's similar to all the other floating museums like the Intrepid in NYC, but given the history of that ship, there's something more to it personally. They have guest speakers from time to time, and the last time we were there, they had a WWII vet speaking which was great.

If you rent a car at all, it's worth just taking a quick ride to La Jolla and riding around. There are some awesome houses, and some amazing views, plus plenty of small one off shops. Only worth doing if you have your own car IMO.

Definitely take a ride to Coronado. Also some amazing views, and it's a great beach and area in general. Plus there's the history with the Coronado Hotel. You can also Uber/Lyft here and not feel like you're stuck there.

I'm sure my wife has other suggestions as she lived there for 3 years, but off the top of my head, this is what I came up with.

EDIT: One thing I forgot. Definitely get out on a pier and see the sunset over the Pacific, especially if you've never seen it before. It's awesome.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Right? I am pretty sure the lead singer on Do or Die left DKM to join the Boston Fire Department. Thats pretty ironic in itself. DKM's best album before they "sold out" was sang buy a guy who got a job as a fire fighter and left the band.

I have not been to a DKM concert since probably 2010. I cant see them letting people on stage anymore but I hope they still do the epic lead in with "Foggy Dew" + for Boston.

I saw them at Pear Street in Northampton, MA twice and it was awesome! They were great in small venues.

Check out is band Street Dogs...phenomenal

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Check out is band Street Dogs...phenomenal

Street Dogs do an annual show in Boston around Christmas, multi-night, called Wreck the Halls.

My husband goes every year, big Street Dogs fan. From what I understand they're amazing live.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
@Fenway will know this one...

Going here for dinner with my mom tonight for her birthday. One of her favorite spots.

storefront2.jpg

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Street Dogs do an annual show in Boston around Christmas, multi-night, called Wreck the Halls.

My husband goes every year, big Street Dogs fan. From what I understand they're amazing live.

I wish I lived closer to him, I would finally have someone to go to all these shows with since my family and friends have zero musical taste

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I wish I lived closer to him, I would finally have someone to go to all these shows with since my family and friends have zero musical taste

Ha! Yeah he's always looking for people to go to shows with. He has a few friends that have the same taste that he teams up with, but it's hard to find people to go with if they have conflicts. I like live music a lot so will go, but it's more fun to go with people that are really into it.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
My mom grew up in Arlington and has worked at Harvard her whole life, so it's a well known spot for us. My first apartment right out of college was nearby.

It's super old school but never a bad meal and very very affordable.

I think I always assumed it was super expensive. Good to hear, I'm gonna check it out soon!

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Ha! Yeah he's always looking for people to go to shows with. He has a few friends that have the same taste that he teams up with, but it's hard to find people to go with if they have conflicts. I like live music a lot so will go, but it's more fun to go with people that are really into it.
This is the worst part about getting older for me. No one ever wants to go to shows with me anymore, so I've just stopped going as well, which sucks. I was going alone for a bit, but that got old really fast.

Granted, I go to very loud, heavy shows so I can understand that there's zero appeal there.

Reactions: eightspokedb

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
This is the worst part about getting older for me. No one ever wants to go to shows with me anymore, so I've just stopped going as well, which sucks. I was going alone for a bit, but that got old really fast.

Granted, I go to very loud, heavy shows so I can understand that there's zero appeal there.

Oh he still goes. He's usually able to find someone, if he can't, I'll go and he's not opposed to going alone.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I conducted an "Ask me Anything" with my students.

Best Questions:
What is your second favorite sport?
What is your favorite food?
If you could live during any historical period, what would you pick?
Can you ski?
What are your thoughts on soccer?
What is the worst injury you've sustained playing hockey?
Who is your favorite non-Bruins player?
If you could visit any place in the world, what would it be?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Best Questions:
Can you ski?

Baseball

German food; Schnitzel, roast pork, sauerkraut, spaetzle, sausages, etc.

American Revolution, or the Roundhouse Theater, in London on July 4, 1976.

Yes

Boring sport, only popular because it is cheap.

Dislocated shoulder.

Stamkos

Bora Bora

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Best Questions:
Can you ski?

...and you don't provide us with the answers?

Reactions: TP

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My mom grew up in Arlington and has worked at Harvard her whole life, so it's a well known spot for us. My first apartment right out of college was nearby.

It's super old school but never a bad meal and very very affordable.

I grew up in East Arlington. Thorndike St.
We used to go to Frank's all the time. Good meal. Good size portions.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Best Questions:
Can you ski?

Football.
Pizza
1970's
nope
What's soccer?
broken ribs
Looch
UK

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
What is your second favorite sport? Baseball

What is your favorite food? Pot roast and mashed potatoes

If you could live during any historical period, what would you pick? Tough one but I'd say either the 40's or the 70's as I am very much into what was going on historically at those times

What are your thoughts on soccer? I'll watch the Olympics but otherwise I'm really not interested.

What is the worst injury you've sustained playing hockey? Never played and I don't know how to skate but I blew out my ankle 3 times in 5 years.

Who is your favorite non-Bruins player? Henrik Lundqvist

If you could visit any place in the world, what would it be? I want to go back to Germany. Been to Munich but want to see Berlin as I am interested in WWII.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Best Questions:
Football
Mexican
Biblical (New Testament)
Can you ski?
Yes
Indifferent, but see it gaining popularity due to football’s decline among young people/injuries
Puck to the throat. Now I wear a dangler.
Tavares
London

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Best Questions:
Can you ski?

Rugby (don't get to watch enough or understand it completely, but it's an amazing sport)
I'd have to say any type of comfort food (crock pot stuff, stews etc.)
Definitely the 1940's. Would love to meet Humphrey Bogart and have a drink with him, Jimmy Stewart, Spencer Tracy, Myrna Loy, Rita Hayworth and Kathryn Hepburn etc.
I tried once. Did great then did one run too many and destroyed my ACL and meniscus
I appreciate the athleticism but find it incredibly boring. It's tennis (back and forth, back and forth) on a larger playing surface with more people without much scoring
Re-injuring the knee I wrecked skiing and landing so hard (with hockey gloves on) that my fingers on my left hand hurt for a year
Gordie Howe
Right now I'm kind of fascinated with Norway, so that would be today's choice. It might be different next week

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Best Questions:
Can you ski?
Football
Authentic French. Nothing better.
The freaking 80's. I was born in 86, but I wish I was an adult. Or the 40's, just such a cool time period. Historically? Probably the Renaissance.
Ski? Somewhat. Snowboard? Yes, used to teach it.
Hate it. Boring.
Tore my knee to shreds in high school. Skate blade got stuck in a rut between boards and ice surface. Haven't skated since.
Currently? Doughty
Germany.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Best Questions:
What is your second favorite sport? Baseball
What is your favorite food? Pizza
If you could live during any historical period, what would you pick? WWII or Civil War
Can you ski? Hell no
What are your thoughts on soccer? Don't like it
What is the worst injury you've sustained playing hockey? Never played. Rotator cuff surgery from softball
Who is your favorite non-Bruins player? Duncan Keith when he was good
If you could visit any place in the world, what would it be? UK

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
What is your second favorite sport? Soccer (not MLS)
What is your favorite food? Chinese
If you could live during any historical period, what would you pick? 1700's
Can you ski? long time ago
What are your thoughts on soccer? LOVE International/Italian leagues.. MLS is shit
What is the worst injury you've sustained playing hockey? Tripped from behind , that f***er
Who is your favorite non-Bruins player? Stamkos I guess
If you could visit any place in the world, what would it be? Pripiyat

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Baseball, but only if it can be condensed into one hour

Spaghetti and meatballs - but the meatballs have to be light and airy, almost like a meatloaf - not densely packed. A mix of half beef and half turkey works well, along with making sure you have plenty of bread crumbs.

English or Italian Renaissance. I'd love to say hi to Willy and Leo.

Can you ski?

Nope - I prefer to have a maximum of three long bones in each leg.

I don't really have any thoughts on soccer, but for those who love it, hurrah! I try not to rain on other people's parades.

Um, I guess a tie between scraping my knee while exiting the Chinatown T stop because I was admiring my Chara bobblehead, and standing in a river of beer that appeared at my feet from the rows behind me at the Garden that same day. That's as close to a hockey injury as I can get.

79 games out of the year, Holtby.

Italy.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad