OT: Off Topic 2019 part VIII - Spring is just around the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I've been wanting to go to San Diego ever since I moved out here, but haven't found time yet. I'll hopefully get there when the school year ends.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Wow that’s a bold statement.

Super Baseball 2020
Backyard Baseball
NBA Jam
Dusty Diamond
Hot Shots Golf
Mario Golf
NHL 94
Faceoff 98
Mutant League Hockey

I’m just going off the cuff here but i put all those titles ahead

Just to add on some of my personal favorites...

NFL Street
NBA Street
Mario Super Strikers
Mario Baseball
Rocket League (if we count that, why not)

and of course the G.O.A.T.

917061b.jpg

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Just gonna throw this out there while I head home.

Whats there for me and the Bride to do in San Diego in May?
The zoo is on her bucket list so that's a given.

Other touristy things? Restaurants?

Probably be there 4 or 5 days.
Where are you staying? Anywhere near the gaslamp district? That's a great place to walk during the evening. I would go see the USS Midway museum, but that's the Navy guy in me.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
For those who love music, check out The Wrecking Crew on Netflix. I was bored and came across it, it`s about a bunch of session musicians back in the 60`s and 70`s. I`ve had never heard of any of them and that`s what this documentary speaks to, how this group of musicians lived and played in virtual anonymity

This is a great movie, I saw it on IFC last year. It was also an interesting look at how songs & albums were recorded back in the day :yo:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I guess this if anything exposed me to a term I wasn't aware of before called lawnmower parenting. It's where parents mow down any perceived obstacles in their child's path :shakehead

I guess this takes helicopter parenting to a higher and even more obnoxious level

From the link:

In a companion roundup of other outrageous parent requests of teachers so as to clear the decks of any rough spots, we learn that a fourth grader’s mom asked the school to blow on the daughter’s soup because it was too hot. Another parent asked to be texted her 9th grade son’s daily homework assignment because he had difficulty remembering it and she wanted to oversee it. Another mother sent along several tea bags so the teacher could prepare hot tea to soothe her son’s sore throat, and instructed her to feel free, of course, to toss in any honey of her own she might have on hand.

:facepalm:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What types of things are you into Wally?

SD is a wonderful place. Tons of variety.

Let me know, I can come up with a list for you.

We like zoos, aquariums, waterfronts, maybe boat/harbor ride
Regular food. No jacket . No tie. f*** that.

We’re both senior citizens so we dont walk miles and miles.

Thanks!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Where are you staying? Anywhere near the gaslamp district? That's a great place to walk during the evening. I would go see the USS Midway museum, but that's the Navy guy in me.

Dont know yet Trev.
Me and the Bride were going to go to Dublin, CA. To visit our oldest son. Nothing there and Ive been to San Francisco. Besides Fishermans wharf there wasnt much more of interest to the Bride.
So shes always wanted to see San Diego zoo. Dont ask me why cause I dont ask.
Anyway she said why dont we fly there and pay for Connor to join us?
Ok. I asked my boy and he said’free vacation, Im in’.

So we are just now starting to kick around dates. Flights, hotels, crap to do etc...

Id be up to seeing the Midway. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time on the Essex. Before it went into mothballs.

I wont rent a car so anything via bus, cab, uber will be for us.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
In the mean time it f***ing blows to get old. Went out to eat tonight and broke a tooth.
On a french fry. A f***ing french fry.
Dentist tomorrow a.m.

Not my bubbly self tonight.

Reactions: BMC

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Tessie is burned into my brain because of MVP Baseball 2005 (still perhaps the greatest sports videoo game of all time), which I played pretty much non-stop my senior year of high school.
The day it came out, my buddy and I had a 10 inning scoreless marathon.

I played as the Mets.

I brought Pedro out for the 10th and he walked off.

As for best sports games:
Tecmo Super Bowl
Ice Hockey
NHLPA93 (I prefer it to 94)
Madden 01 (blew me away at the time)
MVP 05
NHL 07
NHL 12

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Yep, he also held RPI`s all time penalty minutes record for a 4 year career well into the 70`s which is/was amazing seeing as they played significantly less games in his day compared to what they played in the 70`s

There is good and bad that comes with a father who was a fairly accomplished player, his expectations of me were high all the time and while I never minded being pushed, he was the definition of a hockey parent absent any yelling or screaming but there wasn`t a game I played that I got in the car where he emphasized each play he thought I needed to be stronger on rather than give even the slightest praise for some good plays.

I was never an emotional creampuff as a kid but would have been nice to get a pat on the head once but that wasn`t his way

I got to a point where I came to accept him for what he was, loved the guy, we had massive struggles over the years, many brought on by my behavior but he was a hard guy to get along with. My wife, when she first met him (in his mid 70`s) said after I gave her some heads up about his personality "he looks like he`s either going to burst into tears or smash something". He was a tough SOB and while he never showed his love in a physical or verbal way, he did so by looking after the family, providing us with everything we needed and I`m so grateful that I got emotionally healthy enough to make all amends to him and learn to completely accept him for who he was.

That`s cool, your dad with the Golden Seals prior to the legendary Islanders dynasty...awesome, good stuff.

That is really tough. And it truly shows strength, resolve, and character to understand his struggles and come to accept and love someone with all their flaws. I mean, we all know we should do that but it's much easier said than done. I'm very happy to read that you're emotionally healthy about it. That's just fantastic.

Reactions: Kovi

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Dont know yet Trev.
Me and the Bride were going to go to Dublin, CA. To visit our oldest son. Nothing there and Ive been to San Francisco. Besides Fishermans wharf there wasnt much more of interest to the Bride.
So shes always wanted to see San Diego zoo. Dont ask me why cause I dont ask.
Anyway she said why dont we fly there and pay for Connor to join us?
Ok. I asked my boy and he said’free vacation, Im in’.

So we are just now starting to kick around dates. Flights, hotels, crap to do etc...

Id be up to seeing the Midway. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time on the Essex. Before it went into mothballs.

I wont rent a car so anything via bus, cab, uber will be for us.

Thanks.
Yeah, there's almost less than nothing to do in Dublin. I lived in Manteca for a bit, and we'd drive through there on our way to the Bay area. I'm sure it's changed some, but still, not exactly the roaring spot.

Uber is going to be your friend in San Diego, mostly just because it's so big. I'd look at the Gaslamp Quarter or downtown - lots of hotel choices, though they will be a bit more expensive because they're closer to stuff. You may also like the Old Town area - more historic stuff. You can take the train to San Ysidro and jump over the border to Tijuana, but it's pretty touristy. Probably better uses of time in the area.

Reactions: Gee Wally

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The day it came out, my buddy and I had a 10 inning scoreless marathon.

I played as the Mets.

I brought Pedro out for the 10th and he walked off.

As for best sports games:
Tecmo Super Bowl
Ice Hockey
NHLPA93 (I prefer it to 94)
Madden 01 (blew me away at the time)
MVP 05
NHL 07
NHL 12

NFL Blitz
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1
Blades of Steel
Ken Griffey Jr Baseball

and best one of all, ESPN NFL2K5. That's the game that beat Madden to the point where they got so scared that they threw a truckload of money at the NFL to get exclusive licensing rights for the team names and players.

2K5 was the first to have sideline reporters, halftime and end of game highlights with Chris Berman, Sportscenter, build a custom team including name, logo, colors, build the actual stadium. and 1st to have the in helmet 1st person view

Reactions: smithformeragent

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I never understood the disdain for artists when they actually try to make money. No harm no foul. Easy for us to call them sellouts when they are the one's eating soup.

Right? I am pretty sure the lead singer on Do or Die left DKM to join the Boston Fire Department. Thats pretty ironic in itself. DKM's best album before they "sold out" was sang buy a guy who got a job as a fire fighter and left the band.

I have not been to a DKM concert since probably 2010. I cant see them letting people on stage anymore but I hope they still do the epic lead in with "Foggy Dew" + for Boston.

I saw them at Pear Street in Northampton, MA twice and it was awesome! They were great in small venues.

Reactions: LouJersey

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Right? I am pretty sure the lead singer on Do or Die left DKM to join the Boston Fire Department. Thats pretty ironic in itself. DKM's best album before they "sold out" was sang buy a guy who got a job as a fire fighter and left the band.

I have not been to a DKM concert since probably 2010. I cant see them letting people on stage anymore but I hope they still do the epic lead in with "Foggy Dew" + for Boston.

I saw them at Pear Street in Northampton, MA twice and it was awesome! They were great in small venues.

They still open with Foggy Dew, and they let people on stage but usually only during Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced.

I don't begrudge them making money and becoming popular. I miss their old sound and less poppy/more aggressive style. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Reactions: LouJersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->