OT: Off Topic 2019 part VIII - Spring is just around the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
For those who love music, check out The Wrecking Crew on Netflix. I was bored and came across it, it`s about a bunch of session musicians back in the 60`s and 70`s. I`ve had never heard of any of them and that`s what this documentary speaks to, how this group of musicians lived and played in virtual anonymity

Your timing is impeccable, Hal Blaine actually just passed away yesterday. He was the drummer on dozens of 1960s hit songs.

Reactions: BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
@Kate08

Remember when DKM did a FREE concert after a Bruins game?

I don't think Tessie ruined them, getting wealthy did

I do remember that. I was there.

Tessie ruined them, that and Shipping Up to Boston made them go mainstream which is what made them wealthy. Their sound changed and they have a more poppy sound than they have had in the past. At a live show, when Al gets really into a song like Barroom Hero you get a glimpse at the old Murphys but they went totally Hollywood.

Good for them, it's nice to see local guys be successful, but I miss their old sound.

Reactions: Fenway and Kovi

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
@Kate08

Remember when DKM did a FREE concert after a Bruins game?

I don't think Tessie ruined them, getting wealthy did

I was at the game. I think a 2-1 victory over Vancouver? Tied it with almost no time left and won it in OT. I think a couple players (Rolston stands out in my mind) even joined the band on guitar.

The promise of success ruined them. They knew what would get them all disgustingly rich and they changed. I would’ve done the same.

EDIT: i was close. 2-1 in OT but the goal to tie it was 2nd period.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I do remember that. I was there.

Tessie ruined them, that and Shipping Up to Boston made them go mainstream which is what made them wealthy. Their sound changed and they have a more poppy sound than they have had in the past. At a live show, when Al gets really into a song like Barroom Hero you get a glimpse at the old Murphys but they went totally Hollywood.

Good for them, it's nice to see local guys be successful, but I miss their old sound.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I blame Ken Casey. Clown.

Also owns like all of Dot Ave in Lower Mills.

I am indirectly responsible for Tessie.

I found a copy of the original recording of Tessie and gave it to Steve Buckley who then passed it on to Jeff Horrigan who then gave it to Ken.

In any event when McGreeveys opened Ken gave me a card for a discount which turned out to be 100% and it is still good today. He actually said to me I don't use it enough.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I found a copy of the original recording of Tessie and gave it to Steve Buckley who then passed it on to Jeff Horrigan who then gave it to Ken.

In any event when McGreeveys opened Ken gave me a card for a discount which turned out to be 100% and it is still good today. He actually said to me I don't use it enough.

Kevin, this is definitely you:
Screen-Shot-2017-05-04-at-9.12.45-AM.png

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

I never liked you anyway...hahaha

Reactions: Fenway

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Where on earth did you dig up that fossil?

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I found it online in the Canadian Archives in Ottawa

Can you imagine a thousand drunks singing this over and over at Fenway? That is what the Royal Rooters did :laugh:

I've seen a thousand drunks singing it at every other sporting event since it came out, and they are less well behaved than the Royal Rooters.

So yes...I can imagine. And I hope they feel bad for me.

Reactions: Fenway

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Just gonna throw this out there while I head home.

Whats there for me and the Bride to do in San Diego in May?
The zoo is on her bucket list so that's a given.

Other touristy things? Restaurants?

Probably be there 4 or 5 days.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I guess this if anything exposed me to a term I wasn't aware of before called lawnmower parenting. It's where parents mow down any perceived obstacles in their child's path :shakehead

I guess this takes helicopter parenting to a higher and even more obnoxious level

From the link:

In a companion roundup of other outrageous parent requests of teachers so as to clear the decks of any rough spots, we learn that a fourth grader’s mom asked the school to blow on the daughter’s soup because it was too hot. Another parent asked to be texted her 9th grade son’s daily homework assignment because he had difficulty remembering it and she wanted to oversee it. Another mother sent along several tea bags so the teacher could prepare hot tea to soothe her son’s sore throat, and instructed her to feel free, of course, to toss in any honey of her own she might have on hand.

Cheers took a comical look on this subject

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: Gee Wally

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Tessie is burned into my brain because of MVP Baseball 2005 (still perhaps the greatest sports videoo game of all time), which I played pretty much non-stop my senior year of high school.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Just gonna throw this out there while I head home.

Whats there for me and the Bride to do in San Diego in May?
The zoo is on her bucket list so that's a given.

Other touristy things? Restaurants?

Probably be there 4 or 5 days.
What types of things are you into Wally?

SD is a wonderful place. Tons of variety.

Let me know, I can come up with a list for you.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Tessie is burned into my brain because of MVP Baseball 2005 (still perhaps the greatest sports videoo game of all time), which I played pretty much non-stop my senior year of high school.

Wow that’s a bold statement.

Super Baseball 2020
Backyard Baseball
NBA Jam
Dusty Diamond
Hot Shots Golf
Mario Golf
NHL 94
Faceoff 98
Mutant League Hockey

I’m just going off the cuff here but i put all those titles ahead

Status