OT: Off Topic 2019 part VIII - Spring is just around the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Looks like the company is on its death bed. They started to go downhill when the family that started the business sold out to a holding company in 2005.

The company was so big that in the 1980's they bought then powerhouse radio station from CBS. A few years later they sold the station to the Celtics who then made it an all-sports station in 1991.

WEEI was put up for sale in April 1983, after CBS reached a deal to acquire KRLD in Dallas–Fort Worth from Metromedia that September, a deal was reached to sell the station to Helen Broadcasting; the company was owned by the Valerio family, who also owned Papa Gino's. Although Metromedia canceled the sale of KRLD after it was granted permission to own both the radio station and KNBN-TV in Dallas–Fort Worth, the sale of WEEI still went forward. Helen Broadcasting continued the all-news format. CBS retained WEEI's FM sister station until the 2017 sale of its radio division to Entercom.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Whoa whoa. Its all relative. Out here in the sticks its pretty good .

Last few years it all depended on the local manager

during the sharks and icecats era the DCU Center/Worcester Centrum had a limited service PG inside the arena it was a great pizza to go along with hockey

Papa Gino's is better than Dominos in my area. I'm lucky that I live 10 minutes from the flagship store so I'm not concerned about it closing

I hope you are right but the vultures who own it now have no emotional tie to Dedham

Reactions: Alicat

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
I was working at a PG that was shut down in November. Walked in, no notice, shut it down and I never heard a word from them again. Trash company.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I was working at a PG that was shut down in November. Walked in, no notice, shut it down and I never heard a word from them again. Trash company.

Happened to a bunch of em. Absolutely awful the way all of that went down

Reactions: BMC

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I was actually born in Framingham and frequented Papa Gino’s often with a boyhood friend until my family moved to Cape Breton . My buddy still lives in Boston and we text all the time during Bruins games . Anyway, we made a vow that when the Bruins win the Cup again we will meet up at a Papa Gino’s to celebrate. It would be kind of sad if there weren’t any Papa Gino’s to celebrate at .

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I only went to a Papa Gino's once or twice.

I never really saw its purpose, you can get better pizza at a local hole in the wall and cheaper pizza at national chains like Pizza Hut or Dominos. Papa Gino's seemed to be caught in the middle of the two.

Reactions: Scruffy

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'll admit it, I generally love Papa Gino's Pizza. yeah you get a few that are just not quite right, but it is still my favorite Pizza, and I've tried almost everyplace around. And the few other places I really like can be all over the place (Bertuccis, Regina)

Man, now the debate is if I take a 30-40 minute ride to try and find one before they are all gone

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
From the time I was maybe 12 until I left for college, Papa Gino’s pizza was what was for dinner on Friday night at my house. My dad would take either myself or one of my two younger brothers with him in his pickup to go pick up our pizzas at Papa Gino’s at the Middlesex Mall in Burlington. After I got my license, my brothers came with me in my ‘81 Olds Cutlass to get our Friday night pizzas.

great memories and I loved their pizza.

I’ll be sad to see them go.

Edit ~ I’d kill to have just one more of those Friday nights.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The crown jewel of Papa Ginos is their hot dogs.

****ing fight me if you disagree.
Photo0050.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When does the Melrose one close?

@Kate08 It's gawn

The six branches that closed in Massachusetts are Melrose, Wilbraham, Brockton (Crescent Street), Natick (Worcester Road), and two locations in Framingham (Cochituate Road and Worcester Road). The Seabrook, N.H. location also shuttered.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
@Kate08 It's gawn

The six branches that closed in Massachusetts are Melrose, Wilbraham, Brockton (Crescent Street), Natick (Worcester Road), and two locations in Framingham (Cochituate Road and Worcester Road). The Seabrook, N.H. location also shuttered.

I knew it was on the list to close but didn’t know it already happened! Dammit!

Oh well. I think the Medford sq one is still there. Now Melrose and malden are gone.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Wow thats sad. It was good in the 80s and early 90s. Then it got gross and my kids could never understand why I wanted to 'just give it one more chance'. :-(
Most stores have looked the same since the 90s they built a few new ones but a lot are now closed

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
*sneaks into the thread*

Hey folks! How is everybody?

Funny little story to share. Today I decided to tackle a drippy faucet. The only thing I learned was to make sure to turn off the water before tackling anything that involves water. (The valve under the sink wouldn't budge.) It could have been a lot worse, but thankfully it wasn't. And the end of the story is, the faucet still drips. But it's not spraying everywhere and not leaking out of the knob so I guess I fixed something. :whaaa?:

Maybe I'll become more active here again.

Hope everybody is doing well. :thumbu:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
@Kate08 It's gawn

Natick and Framingham are some of the most dense retail areas in ma it’s a really bad sign if they can’t keep a location open there

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
*sneaks into the thread*

Funny little story to share. Today I decided to tackle a drippy faucet. The only thing I learned was to make sure to turn off the water before tackling anything that involves water. (The valve under the sink wouldn't budge.) It could have been a lot worse, but thankfully it wasn't. And the end of the story is, the faucet still drips. But it's not spraying everywhere and not leaking out of the knob so I guess I fixed something. :whaaa?:

tenor.gif

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
*sneaks into the thread*

(Waves hello) how are you?!?

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I vacation at Hampton Beach and Seabrook was always mobbed in the summer - Somehow Sal's survives

You must have a million of those pressed metal tokens with a shamrock on them.

*childhood memories

Reactions: Fenway
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad