OT: Off Topic 2019 part VIII - Spring is just around the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The crown jewel of Papa Ginos is their hot dogs.

****ing fight me if you disagree.
The kids hotdog meal was pretty incredible.

We had a regular who we referred to at Md. Ferley because he looked like Don Knotts and he’d always get a well done dog and a small pepperoni.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
There’s very little ice cream here in Cancun. They brought us some ice cream at the buffet because we asked and it was closer to sherbet.

Seems like they do very little diary.

I may venture to the dominos later as the food here hasn’t done much for me.

HBO go and NESN Go won’t play on WiFi here so my entertainment has consisted of Daredevil season 3. I’ve got one episode left.

I’ll have to settle for a condensed game tomorrow morning.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The very first improvement to the house was the stand-by genny - my wife insisted on it. Unfortunately, cost way more than $1,000. My first inclination was to do exactly what you did - a portable, inlet and a switch box, but for my house I would have needed a genny close to 15 kW and at that point the pricing gets closer with the stand-by. The thing that pisses me off is that I can do any electrical work, but I'm not licensed in the US...

Wish I could have gotten an automatic stand alone unit, but cost was prohibitive. You don’t use them often, but they are a necessity in this region.

Reactions: nazartp

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Wish I could have gotten an automatic stand alone unit, but cost was prohibitive. You don’t use them often, but they are a necessity in this region.
Yea, our development has all of the lines underground, but the main line goes directly through the forest. We get short outages every month, at least. Somehow we are OK this time around.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
yup, their subs were good.

The pizza was meh at best. Crust was bland and too chewy. The sauce sucked, especially with all those pieces of tomato skin in it. Pizza sauce is not supposed to be chunky

I take it you're not Italian :laugh:

(I do get what you're saying though)

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Was never the biggest Papa Gino's guy, the freaking skin chunks in their sauce...blah.

That being said, I'll be sad to see it go. I haven't had it in ages, but I'll order something before they shut down.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I take it you're not Italian :laugh:

(I do get what you're saying though)

nope, but grew up/live right outside of Providence.

pizza strips and margherita pizza, sure those get chunky sauce. Even then, they have actual chunks, not just strips of tomato skin

but straight pizza like what Papa Ginos made should have no chunks

Reactions: Chief Nine

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Their toasted ravioli's are another under-the-radar gem. Not as good as The Chateau, but honestly as close as you can probably get in a fast food joint.

Grew up on the Chateau as I lived 10 minutes from the one in Waltham. Love that they finally started opening more of them too. Their t-ravs are literally like crack to me.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Don't get me started on the Chateau................... What clown decided it was a good idea to give an Italian restaurant a french name?

That was like a small mom and pop place in Somerville called La Hacienda (which closed a year or two back). How does an italian restaurant have a spanish name? Regardless though, both places are like my childhood to me.

Reactions: TP

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
The quality of PG's is entirely based on location. If it was one of those small strip mall or mall locations, then it was usually sub-far. If it was an old legacy free-standing one in a highly trafficked area, then it was usually quite good. Requisites were that it served pitchers of beer and had a console table top video game.

The Chateau is brutal

Reactions: TD Charlie

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Just booked our summer vacation for July. Always nice to have something to look forward to.

Reactions: Ladyfan

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Just booked our summer vacation for July. Always nice to have something to look forward to.

Going anywhere interesting?

I have my parents coming over for a bit mid-summer. Will be figuring out where to take them.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Speaking of poor names, there’s a new buffet in Fairhaven called “festiva buffet” and the colors are all red/orange/green.

It’s a Chinese buffet!

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Going anywhere interesting?

I have my parents coming over for a bit mid-summer. Will be figuring out where to take them.

We used to rent a big ass beach house in the Outer Banks every summer with a bunch of friends. 15 - 20 of us in an oceanfront mansion for a week. It was awesome.

Then people started having babies and buying houses, so for the last few years, we haven't been able to get a group together as priorities shifted. It's a long drive for just my husband and I and at this point, we're sick of the "who wants to go this year" followed by "now let's all agree on a house and a week " game that ends in nothing being accomplished because we all are more busy now than we were.

Last year my husband and I went down the Cape for 5 nights which was nice. This year, we wanted a little more of a "getaway" feel, so rented a beachfront condo in Wildwood Crest, NJ. Hoping for a week of good beach weather and good cocktails. Close enough to head to the boardwalk if we want to explore, but far enough away we won't be dealing with the crazy crowds.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
:cry::cry::cry:

o.jpg
Brigham’s in Belmont. Lived right down the street from there growing up. Many a summer nights(and fall, winter, and spring) going there. I miss it. Although the ice cream place in that location now is pretty good.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The quality of PG's is entirely based on location. If it was one of those small strip mall or mall locations, then it was usually sub-far. If it was an old legacy free-standing one in a highly trafficked area, then it was usually quite good. Requisites were that it served pitchers of beer and had a console table top video game.

The Chateau is brutal

You're dead to me.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
We used to rent a big ass beach house in the Outer Banks every summer with a bunch of friends. 15 - 20 of us in an oceanfront mansion for a week. It was awesome.

Then people started having babies and buying houses, so for the last few years, we haven't been able to get a group together as priorities shifted. It's a long drive for just my husband and I and at this point, we're sick of the "who wants to go this year" followed by "now let's all agree on a house and a week " game that ends in nothing being accomplished because we all are more busy now than we were.

Last year my husband and I went down the Cape for 5 nights which was nice. This year, we wanted a little more of a "getaway" feel, so rented a beachfront condo in Wildwood Crest, NJ. Hoping for a week of good beach weather and good cocktails. Close enough to head to the boardwalk if we want to explore, but far enough away we won't be dealing with the crazy crowds.

Cool! Cape May is OK, just don't expect really warm water in July. It really starts getting nice in August, but you'll get enough of the beach and cocktails.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Cool! Cape May is OK, just don't expect really warm water in July. It really starts getting nice in August, but you'll get enough of the beach and cocktails.

I don't need super warm water, I'm from Boston. Just a quick dunk in and out is all I need. Plus our place has a pool.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I only went to a Papa Gino's once or twice.

I never really saw its purpose, you can get better pizza at a local hole in the wall and cheaper pizza at national chains like Pizza Hut or Dominos. Papa Gino's seemed to be caught in the middle of the two.

For my money Papa Gino's was much better than the other chains. Obviously, in any town, you're probably going to get a better product from a local mom and pop shop, but even those vary. I don't like thick pizza, or greek style, so when I'm in a town that I'm not familiar with, I'd tend to choose Papa Gino's.

Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad