OT: Off Topic 2019 part VI - Winter is no longer coming - IT HAS ARRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Wedding tonight. Really not feeling it. I don’t know the people. It’s monday. It’s also freaking New Years Eve. I find it a little rude to be stealing this day from 150 people. Oh well. Hopefully i can crush some prime rib, drink too much coke, people watch and be in bed by 11. I’m just in no mood for socializing and everything hurts.

Working in the hospitality industry as long as I have, and much of that in a hotel setting, I am with you there. While I would typically have to work regardless if it`s a wedding as there are always big NY parties at Hotel`s, never understood the NY Eve wedding BS and I have overheard countless guests complaining about it too despite their affection for the couple getting married.

I still like the way Mrs Odaat and I did it, ran off to Barbados last March, just the two of us on the beach for a sunset wedding, no worries about if anyone is enjoying themselves, no worries about trying to please and appease family. My father in law said when I asked if he would be ok if we did this "it`s your wedding day not ours" and gave me his blessing.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Ya boy packed on some lb’s here. Can’t button my slacks, not. Even. Close. They barely zipper up. So my belt is concealing the fact that I’m three steps on the electric slide from flapping in the wind. My jacket buttons, kinda, and the only reason i want to button it is to further hide my potential shmenzer slip.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Make sure you wait out the servers for good meat. They start with chicken and sausage, flank steak, serloin by now most people are down. THEN the ribeye comes out.

Oh and don’t fill up at the salad bar either

Agreed. I grab my plate, put a piece of sushi on it. Eat. Then my card goes green and stays there til I’m dead.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Make sure you wait out the servers for good meat. They start with chicken and sausage, flank steak, serloin by now most people are down. THEN the ribeye comes out.

Oh and don’t fill up at the salad bar either
Great call on waiting.

Unreal cut of meat.

The Filet was buttery and melted in your mouth.

Only did one round at the salad bar.

Place was packed and there were a ton of kids there with never ending stomachs lol

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
My wife's grandmother passed away yesterday after a long battle with Alzheimers. It's sad, but in a way, it's a blessing as she was truly gone mentally. It's a heartbreaking disease, my grandmother dealt with it as well, and I truly hope they find a cure for it in my lifetime. I don't want to leave like that.

On a happier note, happy new years to everyone here. This place brings me a lot of joy throughout the year. We've been down the Cape since the 26th at my parents cottage just having a nice relaxing week. There's no one down here, and it's wonderful.

Stay safe!
May she Rest In Peace.

Happy New Year, All!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-1-1_0-2-58.png

Reactions: Alicat

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Good Morning

I was thinking about the 2 times I had done Times Sq 1987/88 and 1992/93

1993 was memorable as my wife wanted to do it.............. I had done it 5 years earlier with another woman which is why I think she insisted. Her mother looked after our son who would turn 1 in 3 weeks.

It was warm - I remember seeing a digital clock reading 63 degrees ( Dick Clark said it was 57 ) and it was a mob scene. The key in doing Times Sq is not drinking anything before you go as good luck finding a bathroom.

The ball drops, we could see the fireworks in Central Park and now we had to kill time before the 5 AM train to Boston. I had worked in NYC for both NBC and ABC and I could not deal with living there but we headed for a bar that I had not been in for NINE YEARS - The Emerald Inn at W 69th and Columbus which was a hangout of ABC employees.

20130212-133846.jpg

I walk in and the bartender and myself locked eyes and he gestured he had a seat for her in the corner. Then he takes my wife's order and then asks 'THE USUAL KEVIN?' - and this is after NINE years.

But that is NOT unusual with NYC Irish bars that have survived. There is a time-honored protocol that a Manhattan bartender will give you your third drink free and simply say 'Cheers'. In Boston, this used to be the case but now just a handful remain ( Foley's on Kingston St is the gold standard )

New York bartenders love Boston and Chicago customers as we know the drill and respect it - they have no love for Philadelphia.

Last edited:

Orr Fourever

#Staysafe
Sponsor
Mar 27, 2018
The Wheat Province
My wife's grandmother passed away yesterday after a long battle with Alzheimers. It's sad, but in a way, it's a blessing as she was truly gone mentally. It's a heartbreaking disease, my grandmother dealt with it as well, and I truly hope they find a cure for it in my lifetime. I don't want to leave like that.

On a happier note, happy new years to everyone here. This place brings me a lot of joy throughout the year. We've been down the Cape since the 26th at my parents cottage just having a nice relaxing week. There's no one down here, and it's wonderful.

Stay safe!

My Mother had the dementia. I agree it's a heartbreaking disease. In the twilight of her life it robbed her of the time she could have spent with her grand kids and great grand kids.

Happy New Year Bruin Nation...

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007

Stay safe!
Blessings to her transition and joy you in the New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad