OT: Off Topic 2019 part VI - Winter is no longer coming - IT HAS ARRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
You would think there would be especially in a dangerous situation where you had to be quiet

There's actually a procedure for silent 911 calls - but you have to listen to the dispacher:

911 Silent Call Procedure can get you the help you need, if you need to stay quiet

1 = police
2 = fire
3 = ambulance
4 = yes
5 = no

Not sure if they read this to you after you go silent, but I imagine if you forget and then mash buttons a few times, they might figure out you want to communicate silently.

You can use 4 and 5 to answer yes/no questions the dispatcher asks you. Of course, I agree - 911 not being cell phone compatible (accurate GPS tracking, texting) is sad, and I'm sure GPS and texting would be immensely helpful in some situations - for example, GPS for when you have an emeregency and you don't know where you are.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I remember one time I was changing the oil in my car, I was under my car and I hear "911 whats your emergency?" and I had to explain how I somehow butt dialed them, lol..

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My new desk chair just arrived :bb:

upload_2018-12-29_10-17-59.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Oooooooo....suhweeet!!

I got a good deal from Jordan's - Helps to know Eliot from working at Fenway Park :)

He is a really nice guy and has always taken care of his employees. When he sold out to Warren Buffett in 1999 EVERY employee got a bonus of 50 cents for every hour they had worked for the company lifetime.

upload_2018-12-29_12-38-35.jpeg

Jordan’s Furniture, a Boston retailing legend known for its owners’ campy radio and television advertisements, is being sold to a subsidiary of billionaire Warren Buffett’s company, it was announced yesterday.

Jordan’s, which sells more furniture per square foot than any company in the United States, is approaching $250 million in annual sales.
The price of the sale was not disclosed.

“Jordan’s Furniture is truly one of the most phenomenal and unique companies that I have ever seen,” Buffett, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., said in a prepared statement.

The four-store chain is co-owned by Eliot and Barry Tatelman, whose grandfather, Samuel Tatelman, incorporated it as a small furniture store in 1928 in Waltham. The brothers took over the business in the early 1970s, bringing it from eight employees to over 1,200 today.

The company has a reputation for treating its employees well. In May, for example, the Tatelmans chartered four jumbo jets and took all 1,200 employees to Bermuda for a day.

“We did it to thank them for being a great group of employees. That literally was the only reason we did it,” said Heather Copelas, company spokeswoman.

They announced yesterday they are rewarding every employee with 50 cents for every hour they have worked for the company “to celebrate the excitement of the merger,” Eliot Tatelman said in a prepared statement.

The brothers said many of the employees have been with them for 10 to 20 years. That could mean a bonus of $10,000 to $20,000 for each longtime employee.

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I got a good deal from Jordan's - Helps to know Eliot from working at Fenway Park :)

He is a really nice guy and has always taken care of his employees. When he sold out to Warren Buffett in 1999 EVERY employee got a bonus of 50 cents for every hour they had worked for the company lifetime.

View attachment 169959

Jordan’s Furniture, a Boston retailing legend known for its owners’ campy radio and television advertisements, is being sold to a subsidiary of billionaire Warren Buffett’s company, it was announced yesterday.

Jordan’s, which sells more furniture per square foot than any company in the United States, is approaching $250 million in annual sales.
The price of the sale was not disclosed.

“Jordan’s Furniture is truly one of the most phenomenal and unique companies that I have ever seen,” Buffett, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., said in a prepared statement.

The four-store chain is co-owned by Eliot and Barry Tatelman, whose grandfather, Samuel Tatelman, incorporated it as a small furniture store in 1928 in Waltham. The brothers took over the business in the early 1970s, bringing it from eight employees to over 1,200 today.

The company has a reputation for treating its employees well. In May, for example, the Tatelmans chartered four jumbo jets and took all 1,200 employees to Bermuda for a day.

“We did it to thank them for being a great group of employees. That literally was the only reason we did it,” said Heather Copelas, company spokeswoman.

They announced yesterday they are rewarding every employee with 50 cents for every hour they have worked for the company “to celebrate the excitement of the merger,” Eliot Tatelman said in a prepared statement.

The brothers said many of the employees have been with them for 10 to 20 years. That could mean a bonus of $10,000 to $20,000 for each longtime employee.
I'd still like to yank that ponytail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fenway and BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Pair of popular Boston bars to reopen on New Year’s Eve - The Boston Globe

Two popular Boston bars that temporarily closed in early December are scheduled to reopen on New Year’s Eve, according to a spokesman for the company that owns the bars.

The Tam, which is located on Tremont Street in the Theatre District, and Sullivan’s Tap, on Canal Street, had been closed temporarily for improvements. They are both slated to reopen on Monday at 5 p.m., according to Sean Martin, a spokesman for Greater Boston Bar Co.

“They will retain the same exact character that people have grown to love and respect,” Martin said on Saturday.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Pair of popular Boston bars to reopen on New Year’s Eve - The Boston Globe

Two popular Boston bars that temporarily closed in early December are scheduled to reopen on New Year’s Eve, according to a spokesman for the company that owns the bars.

The Tam, which is located on Tremont Street in the Theatre District, and Sullivan’s Tap, on Canal Street, had been closed temporarily for improvements. They are both slated to reopen on Monday at 5 p.m., according to Sean Martin, a spokesman for Greater Boston Bar Co.

“They will retain the same exact character that people have grown to love and respect,” Martin said on Saturday.
Of course @Kate08 is in New Orleans for it...

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'd still like to yank that ponytail.

The furniture business has to be ruthless and the big 3 players in Boston are the biggest media buyers in the city. The Big 3 have no stores anywhere near downtown most likely because of real estate costs.

Jordan's saved the Enchanted Village when Macy's literally was going to throw it out on the street. If you are from Boston and older, Jordan Marsh downtown was magical during the holiday season. That doesn't exist today.

I think the maddest I have ever been in my life was Christmas of 1997 when I took my 5-year-old son to see Santa downtown and Macy's actually had this sign posted on Summer St.

SANTA CLAUS IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE AT THIS LOCATION

PLEASE VISIT SANTA AT OUR HERALD SQUARE STORE IN MANHATTAN

Some Macy's PR genius in New York thought that sign would fly in Boston??????????????? I haven't spent a dime at Macy's since.

Eliot is a brilliant businessman but he also knows the community. He was a big backer of WBCN in its early years - Think Charles Laquidara and the 'Big Mattress' - but when Mayor Menino said Boston could no longer afford to keep the Enchanted Village alive, Eliot saved it. Would that pay dividends down the road? - Of course it did but he also understood the tradition.

Eliot stayed on after Warren Buffet bought them and brother Barry had an amicable split to try his luck as a Broadway producer. They had some funny commercials in the 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad