OT: Off Topic 2019 part VI - Winter is no longer coming - IT HAS ARRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Longtime traffic reporter Joe Stapleton died unexpectedly Tuesday.

Joe was known for his love of movies. He acted in a variety of films, including “Spotlight,” “R.I.P.D.,” “Manchester by the Sea,” “Mystic River,” and “Edge of Darkness.” He also appeared in the television show “Castle Rock.”

WBZ NewsRadio1030 offers condolences to Joe’s family. Our thoughts are with them.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Trevor has inspired me.

I’m not getting outta my sweatsuit today.
Nor shaving.

Hooray for me.
upload_2019-1-1_17-55-34.png

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Good Morning

I was thinking about the 2 times I had done Times Sq 1987/88 and 1992/93

1993 was memorable as my wife wanted to do it.............. I had done it 5 years earlier with another woman which is why I think she insisted. Her mother looked after our son who would turn 1 in 3 weeks.

It was warm - I remember seeing a digital clock reading 63 degrees ( Dick Clark said it was 57 ) and it was a mob scene. The key in doing Times Sq is not drinking anything before you go as good luck finding a bathroom.

The ball drops, we could see the fireworks in Central Park and now we had to kill time before the 5 AM train to Boston. I had worked in NYC for both NBC and ABC and I could not deal with living there but we headed for a bar that I had not been in for NINE YEARS - The Emerald Inn at W 69th and Columbus which was a hangout of ABC employees.

20130212-133846.jpg

I walk in and the bartender and myself locked eyes and he gestured he had a seat for her in the corner. Then he takes my wife's order and then asks 'THE USUAL KEVIN?' - and this is after NINE years.

But that is NOT unusual with NYC Irish bars that have survived. There is a time-honored protocol that a Manhattan bartender will give you your third drink free and simply say 'Cheers'. In Boston, this used to be the case but now just a handful remain ( Foley's on Kingston St is the gold standard )

New York bartenders love Boston and Chicago customers as we know the drill and respect it - they have no love for Philadelphia.

Kevin, you are truly the most interesting human being I "know"

Reactions: BMC and Fenway

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Trevor has inspired me.

I’m not getting outta my sweatsuit today.
Nor shaving.

Hooray for me.

I have a Gary Bettman beard going on right now because I’ve been on vacation since the Friday before Christmas. Back to work tomorrow though and clean shaven...

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I wish I could wear yoga pants to work,

Oh wait, I can under my long skirts. Score!

Reactions: BMC

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Easier now that you just have to answer the last question correctly, eh? (Yes, I'm addicted enough to hit level 10.)

I got that game, plus NYE's 7 PM game, and I think I had 6 cents or so rattling around from another game. Grand total of 80 cents in my HQ account...not even worth the electricity and time to transfer it to PayPal yet.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Easier now that you just have to answer the last question correctly, eh? (Yes, I'm addicted enough to hit level 10.)

I got that game, plus NYE's 7 PM game, and I think I had 6 cents or so rattling around from another game. Grand total of 80 cents in my HQ account...not even worth the electricity and time to transfer it to PayPal yet.

I am only at Level 8 - hard for me to play when Bruins are :)

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
It was still dark here this morning when I got my first work call from the East coast. I was just making coffee. I'm like...hello? They keep forgetting about time zones.:confused:

I had been awake since 5 though

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It was still dark here this morning when I got my first work call from the East coast. I was just making coffee. I'm like...hello? They keep forgetting about time zones.:confused:

I wouldn't have answered it. Complete BS that someone doesn't pay attention to time zones when calling, IMO.

Reactions: Kovi

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

That's what I like about being on the east coast with my managers that are located in California a lot of times I don't have meetings or anything until its 11am my time since they start at 8.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Decided i would be horrible at playing Deal or no Deal. Woman last night(i hope i have this correct) had 1k, 400k and a mil left. Her offer was 425k, she countered at 500 and got it.

I take that 425 deal and sprint home, and if I’m “the bank” i forced her to open a case. It’s a good chance the next case she opens is 400 or a mil, which leaves her with 1k and let’s say a mil best case scenario. Given those two options, if I’m the bank i then offer something stupid “low” like 100k. If i have a 50/50 shot at 1mil or 1k, or a guaranteed 100k...I’m going home with that 100k every time. I feel like “the bank” really failed to take the human element into consideration

Her case was 400k, so she made out with the half mil. It was great television actually.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I agree with you wholeheartedly - the banker was nuts to accept a 500K offer with an average case value of about 470K. Basically gave her $30K for free....which, actually, they've literally done for some contestants. (Remove six family members from the stage for $5K each was one, and cutting a beard was another...and a random gift of a wedding ring was a third.)

I would have slammed the button hard at 425K and not bothered with a counter. With variance that big, I'm happy to give up a sizeable chunk of expected value, especially since it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

As far as the banker accepting $500K...that's nuts. First, it's actually the producers who are the real "banker", and they have a very different perspective. They essentially play the game 20-30 times a season. They have a budget (and probably insurance - I know Millionaire does). For counter offers, at the start of the "fiscal season", they should consider any offer that's under the average of all the cases. At the end of the fiscal season, they should just accept any offer that will keep them within budget - if they gave away a lot of big prizes to start, they should be stingy. If they gave away zonks, they can afford to be generous.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm not sure what I'm more surprised about. That Deal or No Deal is back on TV or that people here are actually discussing it? Crazy times. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria...

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm not sure what I'm more surprised about. That Deal or No Deal is back on TV or that people here are actually discussing it? Crazy times. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria...

Just watched a holiday episode tonight. Young guy was left with 5 and 750k, with an offer of 330ish. I forgot the offer already cuz he was that dumb. The jackass went for it and he walked away with bus fare. One of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad