OT: Off Topic 2019 part IX - Spring is coming - REALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
I feel bad for all of you suffering with allergies. Surprised to find out how many things there are in the AZ desert to be allergic to. I'm not allergic, but I still sneeze. A lot!

I also feel bad for anyone having to deal with Black Widows. Those things are nasty. Snakes I can deal with, most spiders I can deal with. Bees, I will break out the flamethrower.

My wife is allergic to bees, otherwise we would have kept a couple of hives for the honey. We make mead, so it would have been nice to have our own "raw materials". Yes, our family is nuts.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
So snakes...not so awful.

In Arizona:

bark scorpions
annnnd....
gilla monsters

(I deleted the photos so people wont hv to keep scrolling past icky things)

Last edited:

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
So snakes...not so awful.

In Arizona:

bark scorpions
annnnd....
gilla monsters

(I deleted the photos so people wont hv to keep scrolling past icky things)

Bark scorpions - never met those. Stock up on antivenin and rock on.
Gila monsters - awesome!!!!! We'd breed them in the backyard.

Honestly, though, I don't feel comfortable down south. The density of bitey, creepy, crawley, venomy critters is too much for me. I'll take a run-in with a bear over dealing with the shit that can crawl up your pants and into your unmentionables.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
must have been awful, you should take another week off work to get over the stress

Been thinking about taking a short 3-4 day swing over there seeing as it`s a quick flight from Victoria
I'm retired,it was my 60th Birthday and my pals' 25th wedding anniversary and I officiated over the renewal of their vows. Between the 4 of us we spent 20 grand,and that was holding back a bit.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Bark scorpions - never met those. Stock up on antivenin and rock on.
Gila monsters - awesome!!!!! We'd breed them in the backyard.

Honestly, though, I don't feel comfortable down south. The density of bitey, creepy, crawley, venomy critters is too much for me. I'll take a run-in with a bear over dealing with the **** that can crawl up your pants and into your unmentionables.

We havent met any either....lets keep it that way. One of my clients here is a pest control guy. So, I have the scoop on barks....very venomous, but mostly sting and wont kill you. There hasn't been a scorpion death in a long time. They are basically shy and mostly want to eat crickets and make little scorpions.
People do tours our here at night using a black light hunting scorps....

When we first moved in I literally thought EVERYTHING was a scorpion. GM killed a lot of tape and dust scorpions for me :laugh:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
So I just came back from an afternoon break out back on the patio. There was an AZ quail on our pergola roof. As I walked around I saw 3 lizards....two babies and one bigger one (harmless)-oh and 4 green hummingbirds. It's like a zoo out back :nod:

Rumor has it, we get snout-nosed beetles around here. My camera is SO ready.

Reactions: nazartp

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We havent met any either....lets keep it that way. One of my clients here is a pest control guy. So, I have the scoop on barks....very venomous, but mostly sting and wont kill you. There hasn't been a scorpion death in a long time. They are basically shy and mostly want to eat crickets and make little scorpions.
People do tours our here at night using a black light hunting scorps....

When we first moved in I literally thought EVERYTHING was a scorpion. GM killed a lot of tape and dust scorpions for me :laugh:

I used to travel to Albuquerque a lot years sgo. We had small black lights on our key chains to flash under driver door before we got into our rental cars to leave for the night.
I dont miss that place.

Theres a reason why they originally tested the atomic bomb there. You cant tell the difference before or after.
Desolate.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Every so often a squirrel or chipmunk will get in the attic. Fun times.

Yeah, I had a squirrel get into my garage once and it was full of pine cones everywhere. Lovely creatures

If you want to hear a hilarious squirrel story, listen to the “Squirrel Cop” episode of This American Life. Classic. It may be their most popular episode.

Reactions: Chief Nine

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm retired,it was my 60th Birthday and my pals' 25th wedding anniversary and I officiated over the renewal of their vows. Between the 4 of us we spent 20 grand,and that was holding back a bit.
haha, I believe it, my bride and I have spent a nice chunk of change going to Sandals the last few years but far less will be spent on our next trip to Sandals Barbados as the price is drastically lower when you book for next time while on site at the resort, still $5000 US but so worth it, nothing like being pampered for a bit. We`ll be there for 9 nights which we can`t wait for

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
haha, I believe it, my bride and I have spent a nice chunk of change going to Sandals the last few years but far less will be spent on our next trip to Sandals Barbados as the price is drastically lower when you book for next time while on site at the resort, still $5000 US but so worth it, nothing like being pampered for a bit. We`ll be there for 9 nights which we can`t wait for
I should add that we all flew for free as part of my airline employee benefit,otherwise it would have been about 23K

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
You know you had an impact on the world when Crips, Bloods, Eses and even the LAPD are mourning your death.

Nipsey Hussle security has to be investigated. How are you going to let someone just walk up and shoot the man you're being paid to protect? Not just that but let him run away, come back, shoot him again, run away, come back and kick him in the head. Something isnt right.

Reactions: rfournier103

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
My father was bitten by a brown recluse spider in Acadia National Park in 1977. The doctor at the Bar Harbor Medical Center was from Virginia and recognized the bite, as they are not indigenous to New England. The winters are too cold.

A handful of others that summer were also bitten, but their diagnoses came via autopsy.

Reactions: VegasPatriot

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
My father was bitten by a brown recluse spider in Acadia National Park in 1977. The doctor at the Bar Harbor Medical Center was from Virginia and recognized the bite, as they are not indigenous to New England. The winters are too cold.

A handful of others that summer were also bitten, but their diagnoses came via autopsy.

I saw one in my house on the wall when I lived in Cali. I bashed the shit out of it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
You know you had an impact on the world when Crips, Bloods, Eses and even the LAPD are mourning your death.

Nipsey Hussle security has to be investigated. How are you going to let someone just walk up and shoot the man you're being paid to protect? Not just that but let him run away, come back, shoot him again, run away, come back and kick him in the head. Something isnt right.

Inside job

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006

Sorry, but I call BS. A systemic response, i.e., the bite causes severe general reaction that can cause death, from a brown recluse bite happens in less than 1% of the cases. In the past two decades there was a single fatality due to allergic reaction from a brown recluse bite. Their venom tends to "stay local", i.e., do damage to surrounding tissue, instead of spreading throughout the body. On top of that, to even get bitten by a brown recluse is quite a feat - they are not aggressive at all and will bite only when you literally step on them. To have a handful of fatalities from a non-endemic species in Maine is near impossible.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I had a tough drive home last night with all the wind so I went to lay down when I walked through the door. I woke up 12 hours later. I guess my body needed sleep.

Reactions: nazartp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad