OT: Off Topic 2019 part IX - Spring is coming - REALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
The short version of it is that when you sign up for these memberships, there's a ton of legal nonsense that no one ever reads.

I distictly remember an ex of mine had to prove she had moved 25+ miles away to get Boston Sports Club to terminate her membership.

All of these gyms do something similar. It's asburd.

I bet that type of condition can be reversed in court in no time. I would be happy to have something like that in the document to prove malicious intent. No everyone will go through with taking it to court, though...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Always use a debit card or credit card to sign up for the gym. Once you quit and they keep charging you, call the bank and say you lost the card. They issue a new one with new numbers. Problem solved.

Reactions: rfournier103

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
I knew a lot of people that were badly hurt when Polaroid went under.

Polaroid did not have a pension plan but an employee stock plan - when the company went bankrupt each employee got a check for $47

History of Polaroid and Edwin Land | Boston.com

Their founder was brilliant but pigheaded and he demanded that the company go all in with his new invention instant movie film and that was introduced in 1977. The problem was home videotape was hitting the market and tapes were erasable and had sound. The instant movie film cartridge only filmed 3 minutes at a time. The company lost millions and Land was forced out.

Polaroid's major cash cow was government ID's but they resisted the change to digital because they depended on film sales.

Their last gasp was introducing a SLR that people could use on vacation and that bombed.

2 other Massachusetts giant tech companies were destroyed by bad management at the top, Digital and Wang. Both were in a prime position to enter the home computer market and refused to do so.

Polaroid had neither breadth of portfolio nor expertise to survive significant change in the market - their cameras sucked to start with. Kodak, on the other hand, had everything and just blew it because of reliance on film sales. I went to their campus in Rochester several times - it's was ghost town even a decade and a half ago. When I went to clients I, usually, needed to book a room in advance, at Kodak I had floors to myself.

Reactions: Kovi

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Always use a debit card or credit card to sign up for the gym. Once you quit and they keep charging you, call the bank and say you lost the card. They issue a new one with new numbers. Problem solved.

I recently had a card number stolen. CapitalOne sent me the new card, but my AT&T and Netflix charges were automatically moved to the new account.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I have a rollerball of peppermint oil in my purse for this reason.

I also use it on my temples and it helps tension headaches and gives me a bit of a refreshing boost.

I just started using essential oils so I’m open to any other suggestions to help relieve stress and help with sleep

I keep my peppermint roller ball in the car because the dust here kills me. I cant live without it now.

Have you tried lavender and orange for sleep? Is it YL? try stress away in the diffuser too.

my go to is Raven. I've had GM use to in the morning. Helps clear the thoughts for the day.

Reactions: Strafer

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I was full on anxiety over it. Got mine on December 7. One of the best things ever to happen to me.

First week sucked. But once I got used to it I slept like a baby.
I know a guy that's been using one for a few years now. He says it changed his life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Polaroid did not have a pension plan but an employee stock plan - when the company went bankrupt each employee got a check for $47

Their founder was brilliant but pigheaded and he demanded that the company go all in with his new invention instant movie film and that was introduced in 1977. The problem was home videotape was hitting the market and tapes were erasable and had sound. The instant movie film cartridge only filmed 3 minutes at a time. The company lost millions and Land was forced out.

Polaroid's major cash cow was government ID's but they resisted the change to digital because they depended on film sales.

Their last gasp was introducing a SLR that people could use on vacation and that bombed.

2 other Massachusetts giant tech companies were destroyed by bad management at the top, Digital and Wang. Both were in a prime position to enter the home computer market and refused to do so.

Yup, I'd say that pretty much everyone that I know has a friend or relative who was screwed over in that whole deal. My mother in law and her husband were 2 of them. She was in charge of all of the facilities personnel etc, he was an engineer. Both took a good percentage out of their paychecks for their pensions with nothing to show for it except that they had to both look for work in their late fifties. They got nothing after 30+ years EACH there...

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

We don't need Wikipedia, we have Fenway :D

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yup, I'd say that pretty much everyone that I know has a friend or relative who was screwed over in that whole deal. My mother in law and her husband were 2 of them. She was in charge of all of the facilities personnel etc, he was an engineer. Both took a good percentage out of their paychecks for their pensions with nothing to show for it except that they had to both look for work in their late fifties. They got nothing after 30+ years EACH there...

What made it worse is many elected NOT to pay into Social Security and put the money into the stock.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Can you dispute the charge with the CC company? (Sorry if I missed a previous answer).

I have it linked to my debit card because I try to only use my cc for large purchases. I know wisdom says to use credit and pay down the balance, but I’m not good at that.

I plan to contact my bank tomorrow to see if I have any options. I’ve filed a complaint with the BBB and the AG’s office. Boston Sports Club is notoriously awful with billing issues. Their mistake is I’m not someone that will go quietly. I fear that companies like this prey on lower socioeconomic groups that have questionable credit and just want to make something go away.

I’ll get my money back and put up a royal stink doing it.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I have it linked to my debit card because I try to only use my cc for large purchases. I know wisdom says to use credit and pay down the balance, but I’m not good at that.

I plan to contact my bank tomorrow to see if I have any options. I’ve filed a complaint with the BBB and the AG’s office. Boston Sports Club is notoriously awful with billing issues. Their mistake is I’m not someone that will go quietly. I fear that companies like this prey on lower socioeconomic groups that have questionable credit and just want to make something go away.

I’ll get my money back and put up a royal stink doing it.

No surprise that this is BSC.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
No surprise that this is BSC.

Yeah. I’ve been a member there since they opened at Wellington Circle. It used to be great, especially for the price. Nice amenities, a great pool, equipment in good shape, helpful staff.

Over the past 5-ish years it’s gone way downhill and even moreso in the last 2. I thought they’d try to step up their game with the newer boutique fitness studios opening at Assembly, but total opposite. I’m fortunate to be at a point in my life where I’ll happily pay more for a better experience.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was full on anxiety over it. Got mine on December 7. One of the best things ever to happen to me.

First week sucked. But once I got used to it I slept like a baby.
Thx Wally,

I was given a Sleepview Monitor for this evening as I`m just starting with this. Apparantly it will monitor my sleep patters this evening, the woman then comes and picks it up and they determine the results and the actions they will take moving forward. I`m more worried about getting used to sleeping with the contraption on than anything else but it`s all for good sleep moving forward

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My father has been using a CPAP machine, or Darth Vader mask, whatever you wanna call it, for a couple years. He used to only be able to tolerate an hour or two and now he loves it.

Me, i prefer melatonin, or if I’m sick a Benadryl or extra swig of NyQuil. Done.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2 and BMC

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I haven't been around to post much, so it was a nice surprise to receive a note of concern from Fenway about the fires in Houston. While the floodwaters from Hurricane Harvey came as close to me as possible without actually entering my townhouse, thankfully this fire is a good 40 miles from me.

In fact, I don't think the fire has burned anything residential.

Thankfully it's March. I couldn't imagine the firefighters battling this blaze when it's 100 degrees outside. ;)
2019-03-18T145430Z_3_OVA6K0C0V_RTRMADC_0_TEXAS-ENERGY-HOUSTON-FIRE-ROUGH-CUT.jpg

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Thx Wally,

I was given a Sleepview Monitor for this evening as I`m just starting with this. Apparantly it will monitor my sleep patters this evening, the woman then comes and picks it up and they determine the results and the actions they will take moving forward. I`m more worried about getting used to sleeping with the contraption on than anything else but it`s all for good sleep moving forward

Sounds like the same primary steps I followed. My primary wanted me to go due to my heart issues. As well as the Bride couldnt stand my snoring anymore.
The spec. for the average person stopping breathing while sleeping is , 5 times per hour.
My result came back with 47 per hour.

Blood oxygen should be ~ 93% as a norm. My result was 84%.
So for me it was very much a medical necessity . Right now I average , 3 times per hour. Its incredible.
Plus my awake breathing has become so much better. No sinus headaches anymore which I used to experience often as well as I feel rested when I go through the day.

Just hang in there. Its a tough adjustment but well, well worth it.

this is the one I got. Its much less invasive and is very comfortable once used to it.

with this machine:

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My father has been using a CPAP machine, or Darth Vader mask, whatever you wanna call it, for a couple years. He used to only be able to tolerate an hour or two and now he loves it.

Me, i prefer melatonin, or if I’m sick a Benadryl or extra swig of NyQuil. Done.

Huge fan of Nyquil right here :nod: I tried melatonin but it didn't seem to help- should I have taken it every night or just when I can't sleep?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
CPAP is for neither of those things. Its because you literally stop breathing. Has nothing to do with not getting to sleep.
It to stem off heart attack or stroke.

So its a respiratory therapy .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad