OT: Off Topic 2019 part IX - Spring is coming - REALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Huge fan of Nyquil right here :nod: I tried melatonin but it didn't seem to help- should I have taken it every night or just when I can't sleep?

I find melatonin to be an over time type medicine. If you want to knock out quick then take a unisom. Melatonin won’t put you down for the count, it just helps to get a more restful sleep once you’re already out. I will take it every night for a week or so, about a half hour before bed. I take two 3mg pills but i think there are higher doses out there. I prefer it because i don’t wake up feeling like a bus hit me, like i would with unisom or NyQuil.

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Sounds like the same primary steps I followed. My primary wanted me to go due to my heart issues. As well as the Bride couldnt stand my snoring anymore.
The spec. for the average person stopping breathing while sleeping is , 5 times per hour.
My result came back with 47 per hour.

Blood oxygen should be ~ 93% as a norm. My result was 84%.
So for me it was very much a medical necessity . Right now I average , 3 times per hour. Its incredible.
Plus my awake breathing has become so much better. No sinus headaches anymore which I used to experience often as well as I feel rested when I go through the day.

Just hang in there. Its a tough adjustment but well, well worth it.

this is the one I got. Its much less invasive and is very comfortable once used to it.

with this machine:

Thanks Wally, I know I`m not getting anywhere near the quality of rest I should be so in that respect I`m really looking forward to it and the bride is too as she is suffering alongside having to listen to me snore and bolt up out of a sleep too often during the evening.

Last night`s sleep was a pain in the arse, tubes going this way and that way just to get their initial idea of what type of sleep patterns I have.

They said it will likely be a week or two prior to me using the CPAC as they need to analyze things first. They are around $2000 here but as morbid as this may sound, my sister in law`s deceased husband had one which he refused to use so I will be using his old one unless they swing a deal for me for one that is cheaper. I don`t have medical at the restaurant I work at and the bride`s medical hasn`t kicked in yet and won`t for another month or so

Thanks again for the encouraging info

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Thx Wally,

I was given a Sleepview Monitor for this evening as I`m just starting with this. Apparantly it will monitor my sleep patters this evening, the woman then comes and picks it up and they determine the results and the actions they will take moving forward. I`m more worried about getting used to sleeping with the contraption on than anything else but it`s all for good sleep moving forward

It took me literally one night to get used to it. Honestly I've been swimming and doing yoga for the past 6 months or so, but NOTHING I've done compares to my CPAP machine. I feel like I work for the company that makes mine I love it so much.

I found out that the average person stop breathing about 5-6 times per hour when sleeping. I was stopping about 40+ per hour. It's crazy how much more rested I feel. I bet you'll love it quickly cause sleep apnea sucks.

Reactions: Gee Wally

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It took me literally one night to get used to it. Honestly I've been swimming and doing yoga for the past 6 months or so, but NOTHING I've done compares to my CPAP machine. I feel like I work for the company that makes mine I love it so much.

I found out that the average person stop breathing about 5-6 times per hour when sleeping. I was stopping about 40+ per hour. It's crazy how much more rested I feel. I bet you'll love it quickly cause sleep apnea sucks.

Good to hear and thanks for sharing your experience. Like I was saying, I wake up feeling like I`m not nearly rested enough, and when it comes time to give the puppy the exercise she needs and deserves I literally have to push myself to do it which isn`t fair. I have certainly noticed it on the golf course as well, I tire far too early in a round and my typical round usually ends with me struggling on the final 3-4 holes as I`m just out of energy

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Check out this Harold Snepsts practice jersey I have. The "Flying V" Canucks jerseys were so awesome. They are somehow both ugly and beautiful haha.

Attachments

• Canucksfront.jpg
    Canucksfront.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Canucksback.jpg
    Canucksback.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1
  • Canuckslogosleeve.jpg
    Canuckslogosleeve.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: TD Charlie

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Thanks Wally, I know I`m not getting anywhere near the quality of rest I should be so in that respect I`m really looking forward to it and the bride is too as she is suffering alongside having to listen to me snore and bolt up out of a sleep too often during the evening.

Last night`s sleep was a pain in the arse, tubes going this way and that way just to get their initial idea of what type of sleep patterns I have.

They said it will likely be a week or two prior to me using the CPAC as they need to analyze things first. They are around $2000 here but as morbid as this may sound, my sister in law`s deceased husband had one which he refused to use so I will be using his old one unless they swing a deal for me for one that is cheaper. I don`t have medical at the restaurant I work at and the bride`s medical hasn`t kicked in yet and won`t for another month or so

Thanks again for the encouraging info

oof.........thats rough without insurance. But it could be life saving.

Your Bride will benefit as mine has. After decades of 'wake the house snoring' she says I have not snored once since Dec 7th..

To the point that the first few nights she checked on me to see if I was still alive!
I kid you not.

Good luck Andrew...and any questions ask them here....there's a bunch of us.

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Good to hear and thanks for sharing your experience. Like I was saying, I wake up feeling like I`m not nearly rested enough, and when it comes time to give the puppy the exercise she needs and deserves I literally have to push myself to do it which isn`t fair. I have certainly noticed it on the golf course as well, I tire far too early in a round and my typical round usually ends with me struggling on the final 3-4 holes as I`m just out of energy

The annoying thing is that, as you get older, you're unsure of what the words "normal", "tired", and "rested" even mean. I just thought, "This is what I feel like now" and that was wrong.
I've had sleep apnea for 20 years (I got hit in the nose at college) and I didn't do anything about it because I didn't know what to do.

I'm glad you took the time to address the issue because it's truly a quality of life thing like you said. Now you'll be able to walk the puppy for way longer! I'll be curious to know how it works for you.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
oof.........thats rough without insurance. But it could be life saving.

Your Bride will benefit as mine has. After decades of 'wake the house snoring' she says I have not snored once since Dec 7th..

To the point that the first few nights she checked on me to see if I was still alive!
I kid you not.

Good luck Andrew...and any questions ask them here....there's a bunch of us.
will do and thanks again, I think the first few nights I have the machine I`ll likely sleep in the spare room so I don`t keep her up all night as her day starts at 5 am so she needs her sleep, my bigger concern might be that the puppy will think it`s a toy and attack it during the night:)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The annoying thing is that, as you get older, you're unsure of what the words "normal", "tired", and "rested" even mean. I just thought, "This is what I feel like now" and that was wrong.
I've had sleep apnea for 20 years (I got hit in the nose at college) and I didn't do anything about it because I didn't know what to do.

I'm glad you took the time to address the issue because it's truly a quality of life thing like you said. Now you'll be able to walk the puppy for way longer! I'll be curious to know how it works for you.

well, if I`m being honest, I have probably addressed this 20 years later than I should have. I have had 2 broken noses and a substance abuse addiction which, while I`ve been alcohol/drug free almost 14 years, plays a large part in what I`m going through now so it`s long past due for me to look after myself better and I`m done with petrifying the bride too

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
well, if I`m being honest, I have probably addressed this 20 years later than I should have. I have had 2 broken noses and a substance abuse addiction which, while I`ve been alcohol/drug free almost 14 years, plays a large part in what I`m going through now so it`s long past due for me to look after myself better and I`m done with petrifying the bride too

Good on you for looking after yourself!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

That describes me to a tee also !
As well as I never realized that one should breathe through both nostrils with ease at all times. I thought partially blocked was 'normal'.

The other pleasant 'side effect' for me is that 15 to 20 years I'd get up to use the bathroom two or even 3 times . I thought I just 'had to go'. Turns out it was the apnea waking me up all this time. I went because thought it was needed. thought something was wrong with my bladder or whatever.

Now most nights I dont get up at all. 7 or 8 hours straight through. Getting up is an exception. I was shocked as was my primary but not my Respiratory Dr or Endo Dr. Those two have seen it before.

In regard to my Primary. He wants to see me again in three months because my blood pressure that has been high for years has been coming down. Crazy, but its all related.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As well as I never realized that one should breathe through both nostrils with ease at all times. I thought partially blocked was 'normal'.

The other pleasant 'side effect' for me is that 15 to 20 years I'd get up to use the bathroom . I thought I just 'had to go'. Turns out it was the apnea waking me up all this time. I went because thought it was needed. thought something was wrong with my bladder or whatever.

Now most nights I dont get up at all. 7 or 8 hours straight through. Getting up is an exception. I was shocked as was my primary but not my Respiratory Dr or Endo Dr. Those two have seen it before.

In regard to my Primary. He wants to see me again in three months because my blood pressure that has been high for years has been coming down. Crazy, but its all related.

the woman who came by yesterday to go over what I needed to do last night and to ask me a bunch of questions said the same thing about getting up to use the washroom. Thought it was because I now drive 4-5 club soda`s in my guts daily but she said that has nothing to do with it. Said the apnea was waking me up and I just got up and headed to the washroom

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

The other pleasant 'side effect' for me is that 15 to 20 years I'd get up to use the bathroom two or even 3 times . I thought I just 'had to go'. Turns out it was the apnea waking me up all this time. I went because thought it was needed. thought something was wrong with my bladder or whatever.

Yep, same here. I usually just sleep for 8 hours straight. Feels good, man.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
the woman who came by yesterday to go over what I needed to do last night and to ask me a bunch of questions said the same thing about getting up to use the washroom. Thought it was because I now drive 4-5 club soda`s in my guts daily but she said that has nothing to do with it. Said the apnea was waking me up and I just got up and headed to the washroom
I gotta talk to my doctor - I have deviated septum and it started to annoy me to no end the last couple of years. Want to see if they can fix it. Not looking for a third surgery in three years, though...

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Tetanus booster shots sure do pack a punch.

My arm is throbbing and I now have a bruise where the NP stuck me.

Been there...other shots like flu don't faze me, but teatnus? Stiff arm all day the next day. At least it passes...and it's better than lockjaw!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Been there...other shots like flu don't faze me, but teatnus? Stiff arm all day the next day. At least it passes...and it's better than lockjaw!
Definitely better than lockjaw.

I had the flu shot in the other arm yesterday and that was a cakewalk.

The worst shot I've ever had was the Typhoid vaccine. It took a week for the pain to subside.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I gotta talk to my doctor - I have deviated septum and it started to annoy me to no end the last couple of years. Want to see if they can fix it. Not looking for a third surgery in three years, though...
The relief is so worth it tho. Had mine done 7 years ago and knock on wood, it hasn't re-deviated.

Hope you can get it fixed soon!

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
My husband is in Montreal for a conference. He just texted me and said hockey is on in every bar/restaurant, Savvy was just in a commercial, and all of the commercials have to do with hockey.

And he's been there for 3 hours and has already had poutine. wtf.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My husband is in Montreal for a conference. He just texted me and said hockey is on in every bar/restaurant, Savvy was just in a commercial, and all of the commercials have to do with hockey.

And he's been there for 3 hours and has already had poutine. wtf.

Please tell me he's getting a smoked meat sandwich for dinner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad