Off season training players & prospects!!!

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I don't buy it honestly. He would look noticeably bigger at 15 pounds heavier, he still looked the same in post game interviews with his gear off.

I thought Nuge did look a little bigger last year in the neck and shoulder area.. not tremendously bigger, but I saw a difference.

I really hope Marincin put on some weight and muscle this summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To gain 15 pounds *during* a season is pretty crazy too, it just doesn't seem very realistic.

I do agree he's gained some weight, but that much seems like a bit of a stretch.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
To gain 15 pounds *during* a season is pretty crazy too, it just doesn't seem very realistic.

I do agree he's gained some weight, but that much seems like a bit of a stretch.

Well just listening to a few player interviews regarding weight, yeah. I think Nurse said he actually lost weight because of all the ice time he was getting, but after the season was done I guess he pounded back a few big mac's (that is me, not Nurse saying that) and put on about 15 lbs.

It would be interesting to see his weight at camp and then again in April or May.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
as far as RNH feeling a little slower after putting on 10-15 pounds, that totally makes sense.... "new weight" will almost always slow you down at first, even if its muscle weight... it takes some time to turn that new weight into explosiveness, and sometimes it never actually happens, sometimes you have to drop some weight to gain that speed back

people are ENTIRELY too caught up in weight anyhow when talking about the improvements young players need to make.... its *strength* that matters, increased weight is just often a bi-product of increased strength... people focus on weight because its something thats much more easily measurable and appears on websites.... if hockeydb.com posted VO2 max, or squat numbers, or any other strength statistic that matters to hockey players, we wouldn't focus on weight so much.... but they don't, so we do

back to RNH.... if he really is taking the strength program seriously, which by all accounts he is, then his strength will be improving.... that is all that counts

Great post

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Meanwhile, in almost a year of arguing I have yet to see someone form a convincing argument that Eakins is a capable NHL coach.

Kind of BS statement. So when you started your job (not sure yet if you have a big boy job or something like McDonalds) were you capable right off the bat? Yeah, probably. Just like Eakins was/is capable. I think you are using the wrong word here.

Is Eakins capable? yes, he coaches...just like other people with the same job. he won games, did the X's and O's and drills, line juggling and all that jazz.
Is Eakins in the NHL? yes
Is he a coach? yes

Did he have an absolute disaster of a team to work with as his first year behind the bench in the big show? Hell yes. May as well dismiss him. If you think he didn't get enough out of what he had then that is your opinion. Do I wish he did a better job, yes. Am I upset about it, no. As long as there is progression (you keep bringing up the regression from last year...well it's a team sport so when the team is terrible, you are going to have poor individual performances as well)

Broken record here...
I don't think a compelling argument would change your tune anyway.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009

MacT and Eakins have both stated this.....RNH was 190 pounds at the end of the season. He was (I believe) 185 at the beginning of the year. So he gained 5 pounds.

Where people are getting the 10-15 pounds is that MacT stated Nuge usually lost 10-15 pounds previously (by the end of the season). This year he didn't - he actually gained weight (which MacT thought was impressive) so that is where the confusion is coming from regarding the weight gain (...I hope that makes sense :) )

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
The youtube video of RNH dumping the ice water on his head from a day or so ago shows he has certainly been working out this summer (which is obvious of course), he looks alot thicker than a few months ago.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The youtube video of RNH dumping the ice water on his head from a day or so ago shows he has certainly been working out this summer (which is obvious of course), he looks alot thicker than a few months ago.

Was just coming to post this.

He looks quite a bit bigger.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

I dont see why players wouldnt be able to put on mass. You get paid millions for your body basically. You better be gaining and maintaining or you will be gone like pavel brendl, and jamie lundmark.

That being said RNH has looked thicker every year. This is going to be a strong team.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I dont see why players wouldnt be able to put on mass. You get paid millions for your body basically. You better be gaining and maintaining or you will be gone like pavel brendl, and jamie lundmark.

That being said RNH has looked thicker every year. This is going to be a strong team.

The kids are going to get stronger no matter what, and since they are hitting their 20's it will be significant. Add in 6'3 Pouliot, 6'3 Fayne, 6'4 Nikitin, 6'3 Purcell, 6'1 Draisaitl, it really starts to look like we are built for the west.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The kids are going to get stronger no matter what, and since they are hitting their 20's it will be significant. Add in 6'3 Pouliot, 6'3 Fayne, 6'4 Nikitin, 6'3 Purcell, 6'1 Draisaitl, it really starts to look like we are built for the west.

Built for the west for sure. How they play against them will matter more. RNH needs a strong year and I have a feeling this is his breakout year.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Was just coming to post this.

He looks quite a bit bigger.

He looks like he's gained some upper body strength. But his legs are those of a chicken. I think he needs to do squats or something. Pretty bad when a pro hockey player's legs are as skinny as mine are.

Maybe he should try caber tossing as an aside.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Andrew Ference should take Nuge under his wing for a few of his dead leg workouts up and down the River Valley stairs.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Try checking the polls of the oilers being competitive. Its a landslide of no's so far. Even with the additions along with a great off season for plenty of the players, typical main boards syndrome.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH and Nurse still need to add about 7-10 pounds to their frames IMO judging from their ice bucket videos. Eberle looks tiny in his video too, lol.

Hall is a beast compared to them.

Probably not shocking that our team gets pushed around so much. Hopefully Leon's skating can come up to par relatively quickly, we need his size in our top six.

doggone

Nov 4, 2013
RNH and Nurse still need to add about 7-10 pounds to their frames IMO judging from their ice bucket videos. Eberle looks tiny in his video too, lol.

Hall is a beast compared to them.

Probably not shocking that our team gets pushed around so much. Hopefully Leon's skating can come up to par relatively quickly, we need his size in our top six.

in the west no less. good points soundwave

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He looks like he's gained some upper body strength. But his legs are those of a chicken. I think he needs to do squats or something. Pretty bad when a pro hockey player's legs are as skinny as mine are.

Maybe he should try caber tossing as an aside.

You're right. He's probably just been doing bicep curls all summer.

I've heard most NHL players entirely neglect lower body workouts so no big deal.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I will give RNH credit though he is definitely heavier now than as a rookie.

I read this yesterday and I read it again today and I still don't know how to properly answer this.

I mean how hard is it to get heavier when you were 155? Just all the extra body hair he has gained in those years should have him heavier.

On a different note how the hell can't you like seeing Yak having fun in Edmonton right now? The guy seems to be really embracing the city. Hopefully his workouts and working on his game are happening as well because he looks like one of the few that is out there advertising the Oilers.

oilz89*

I read this yesterday and I read it again today and I still don't know how to properly answer this.

I mean how hard is it to get heavier when you were 155? Just all the extra body hair he has gained in those years should have him heavier.

On a different note how the hell can't you like seeing Yak having fun in Edmonton right now? The guy seems to be really embracing the city. Hopefully his workouts and working on his game are happening as well because he looks like one of the few that is out there advertising the Oilers.

I hear he likes to party every saturday too :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad