Off season training players & prospects!!!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Remind me how is Draisaitl's situation is like Seguin??

I wasn't comparing the players. Just the situations that they entered the league into, and I said that Seguin was the ideal (not Draisaitl's).

Boston 2010- an elite squad running on all cylinders that will hide a young player's faults.

Edmonton 2009- a cesspool where it is nearly impossible to gain traction. Confidence plummets.

Edmonton 2014- we don't know yet, but it seems logical to assume that it will be a mixed bag, with at the very least some quality depth players to play with if Draisaitl would fall to the 3rd line (or even the 4th)

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Remind me how is Draisaitl's situation is like Seguin??

He's saying he isn't entering a situation like Seguin.

Draisaitl is a 3rd pick with an NHL body. Those guys usually ends up in the bigs straight away. He looked good against men at the WHCs, absolutely schooled Petry when they played the US. He put up the same numbers as RNH in his draft year on a worse team.
The only thing that may keep Draisaitl from being ready is footspeed and imo he's more awkward than slow. He will certainly struggle on D at times, but that will be the case if he enters the league a year from now as well. I don't give much for defensive accumen at the junior level especially not for a guy as offensively and physically dominant as Leon. If he can keep up, and ofc outplay the other options, he should stay.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
As much as I hate it, I've come to terms with Leon being on this team for the full season unless he is a complete mess during pre season and his first 9 games.

Going back to PA Raiders really isn't going to do anything for him developmentall, I mean if you think about it his defensive play won't be a focus on a Raiders team where he is relied on to create a very large chunk of their offense and his skating was obviously good enough for him to put up 105 pts in that league so how much will it really improve playing there again. He won't have access to the same type skating/strength and conditioning programs playing on a junior team that he would playing for the Oilers.

It's a shame that a player like that who may not be fully ready for a full NHL schedule but is just too strong a player for the CHL can't just jump to the AHL where he can play against men and learn to be a professional but still isn't at the level of the NHL.

Hopefully they really work with Leon to find a role he is comfortable and confident in and they can try their best to shelter him and find a good balance of using his obvious offensive talents while also working to make him a complete player.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
As much as I hate it, I've come to terms with Leon being on this team for the full season unless he is a complete mess during pre season and his first 9 games.

Going back to PA Raiders really isn't going to do anything for him developmentall, I mean if you think about it his defensive play won't be a focus on a Raiders team where he is relied on to create a very large chunk of their offense and his skating was obviously good enough for him to put up 105 pts in that league so how much will it really improve playing there again. He won't have access to the same type skating/strength and conditioning programs playing on a junior team that he would playing for the Oilers.

It's a shame that a player like that who may not be fully ready for a full NHL schedule but is just too strong a player for the CHL can't just jump to the AHL where he can play against men and learn to be a professional but still isn't at the level of the NHL.

Hopefully they really work with Leon to find a role he is comfortable and confident in and they can try their best to shelter him and find a good balance of using his obvious offensive talents while also working to make him a complete player.

I pretty much agree with all that... except I don't "hate" the idea of him being on the team. I think he'll go through ups and down like every rookie and as you say... he can likely work on his skating/speed just as well in the NHL as he would in Junior... if not better with the assets and personnel an NHL team has at hand. He's a mature, well disciplined fellow and I think that helps him a LOT in understanding where and how he can improve.

I also agree that the Oilers are fairly deep on the wings (until injuries hit) which should help with Leon's transition.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting that he sees Leon as a bigger Datsyuk.

Great interview as a whole. Really makes you think what a pain in the ass things can be for guys like Yak or Yakimov having to learn a new language while trying to improve their on ice skills. You can see that there is still a bit of barrier unless he does just go on top of the night club to party. But all joking aside one word could really result in an issue for these kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad