Off season training players & prospects!!!

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I don't want Marincin to put on much weight. He appears to be strong enough and the fact that he is very mobile with a long reach and good stick is not something you want to mess with. Nurses Frame how ever is the type that you want to take advantage of. Plus his style of game would benefit greatly.

Spoken like a person that understands sports and body types.

I think Marincin could pack on another ten or 15 lbs but hes already pretty strong (if its muscle it wont actually amount to much increase in his top size...as his trunk should be the focus). Yes hes lanky but its mostly muscle and hes used to it. His stride isnt the sexiest and with more weight it could be an issue. I dont think he will pack on more than ten more lbs. Chara is lanky but ask opponents that drop gloves with him if he can lift and throw them like rag dolls and have complete control.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
Nuge's frame has a lot of filling out to do yet. By 24 years old he should be quite a bit thicker. It's gonna be a gradual thing with him though.

Think Datsyuk. He always seemed under weight to me. But he is Gretzky like allusive. Can only hope RNH will be the same.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Think Datsyuk. He always seemed under weight to me. But he is Gretzky like allusive. Can only hope RNH will be the same.

Pavel has strong legs...despite one being longer than the other...no thats not a joke.

Rnh's neck gets bigger every year so he is definitely doing some training although last year i believe it was mostly core. I dont see it as unreasonable for him to gain a good portion of weight but he needs it to be mobile and agile weight.
If people havent noticed he has a unique skating stance where he travels in a v almost all the time. It protects him and gives him more power in making contact.
His trunk again needs more weight and with that skating style hed be delivering most of his bodies force into and through opponents. Most players when they make contact are exchanging about 45% of their mass and their velocity...rnh using his stance directs probably closer to 85% of his mass through the opponent and all his velocity. He doesnt need big arms. Increase his legs and butt and a tiny bit more strength for upper body pushoffs. Explosive strength training using chains etc.

Ive always been interested to know who taught him to skate like that...or maybe it was simple natural defense mechanism that worked for him and he became fluid with it.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I don't buy it. I was even skinnier that RNH at his age (165-170) and right about the same height (6'0) and was pretty much the dictionary definition of a hard gainer. My sports coaches in high school tried to get me to work out, but initially there was really no effect.

I got myself up to 193-195 quite comfortably by my mid-20s lifting weights 3x a week and eating more, plus some protein shake supplements. If I was a pro athlete I'd have gotten there quicker too as I'd just focus more on training and eating.

You just have to want it.

Best line I've read in months here, "you just have to want it"... I was 20, 6'3 180 and was told to put on weight and get stronger and faster in the football offseason Feb to July. Came to camp as a Junior faster, stronger and 205lbs. School has a Performance Centre, diet program, strength training and track work. It can be done, I spent days and nights focused on all of it. Does any of these rich kids want it? Show us RNH.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Best line I've read in months here, "you just have to want it"... I was 20, 6'3 180 and was told to put on weight and get stronger and faster in the football offseason Feb to July. Came to camp as a Junior faster, stronger and 205lbs. School has a Performance Centre, diet program, strength training and track work. It can be done, I spent days and nights focused on all of it. Does any of these rich kids want it? Show us RNH.

Yeah to be fair to RNH, he probably burns a ton of calories daily during the season with the constant skating, which makes it tougher.

That said he's earning millions of dollars, he could easily hire a personal chef to prepare all his meals for him for a couple of days each week and make the eating part of the equation a no brainer.

If you eat more in calories than you expend on a daily basis, you will begin to put on weight, there's just no two ways around it.

Nurse has a similar gangly build yet he's packed on 15 pounds in a year, that kid is in the gym every day lifting. And it shows, that was one of the reasons I really I was pleased with the pick, he seems like a gym rat.

The best thing for RNH I think would've been to lay off skating for May/June and just focus on lifting and eating more in those months, then start skating right about now in preparation for camp.

Last edited:

Greasy Sliders

Jun 29, 2012
wait...what?

Jones?

Dubnyk?

DRcq6.gif

Ya dubnyk wearing his montreal gear.. I was about to take photos and figure out who more of the guys were but just as I took out my phone I was kicked out because it was a "closed skate"

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
Hey guys, I found interesting article about Marinčin offseason plans:
http://www.hokejportal.net/?q=clanok/edmonton-nakazal-marincinovi-pribrat-osem-kil/53956

quick translation with my bad english:
"I have to come on preseason camp 8 kgs (17.6 lbs) heavier. I've already gained 5 kgs (11 lbs), but it' really hard for me. I could eat a horse and I wouldn't gain anything. But I believe, I will make it."
"I had a call from Dallas Eakins, he asked me how my offseason is going. I felt a interest from him, so I believe I will make an opening roster. I'm flying overseas on August 15th and I will prepare there before the camp. I was working on my strength during summer, so I hope my 8-week hard work will show on camp."

OVOXO*

I don't buy it. I was even skinnier that RNH at his age (165-170) and right about the same height (6'0) and was pretty much the dictionary definition of a hard gainer. My sports coaches in high school tried to get me to work out, but initially there was really no effect.

I got myself up to 193-195 quite comfortably by my mid-20s lifting weights 3x a week and eating more, plus some protein shake supplements. If I was a pro athlete I'd have gotten there quicker too as I'd just focus more on training and eating.

Beaaaast

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

1) By your mid 20's, he is what? 21 years of age? How big were you at that point?

2) He tested the 2nd best for cardio last camp IIRC.

3) He came back sooner than expected from his shoulder surgery.

None of these things sounds like a guy that is lazy and doesn't put in his time at the gym. Another question would be what are the males in your family like? Ultra skinny? Average? Thick build? RNH's brother is built about the same as his younger brother. Let's also not forget that agility is a big part of RNH's game so simply bulking up like he's a defensive lineman won't be doing him any favors in that department.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada

Or you need to hit your mid 20's. ;)

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Body type and genetics play big roles in a players muscle/strength development (ectomorph, Mesomorph, Endomorph)-> ability to add weight to turn into muscle. Some ppl can eat massive amounts of food and can't gain weight (ectomorph) while others pack it on fast (Endomorph). Genetics-> some ppl just are not suppose to have big dense upper bodies or big legs, while others develop these muscle groups easily, however being bigger doesn't always = being stronger, strength training and muscle growth are two different things.

Plus age plays a factor . Kids naturally fill out and add that to a good training routine and nutrition can make a world of difference in a year/summer

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
People have to remember that most of these guys have already been working out for at least a few seasons and have already gone through their beginner gains.

It's a lot easier for someone that just starts being dedicated to working out to put on 20 lbs in a short amount of time then it is for someone like RNH that has been doing strength training for a number of years now.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Hey guys, I found interesting article about Marinčin offseason plans:
http://www.hokejportal.net/?q=clanok/edmonton-nakazal-marincinovi-pribrat-osem-kil/53956

quick translation with my bad english:
"I have to come on preseason camp 8 kgs (17.6 lbs) heavier. I've already gained 5 kgs (11 lbs), but it' really hard for me. I could eat a horse and I wouldn't gain anything. But I believe, I will make it."
"I had a call from Dallas Eakins, he asked me how my offseason is going. I felt a interest from him, so I believe I will make an opening roster. I'm flying overseas on August 15th and I will prepare there before the camp. I was working on my strength during summer, so I hope my 8-week hard work will show on camp."

:laugh:I love the dedication. Forget eating like a horse, he'll eat the damn thing. I like his style.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Jason Gregor said:
I spoke to Leon Draisaitl yesterday. He elected to stay in Edmonton and is working out hard. He is the big, heavy skilled forward the Oilers need. He is only 18, but he's already 215 pounds. He said he wants to come to camp around 212 this year. Imagine who strong, heavy and skilled he will be when he is 21.

This is an interesting development. Looks like a very motivated Draisaitl is coming to camp.
Not only does it bode well for the future but with the gaping hole at Centre it may be hard to keep the kid off the roster this season.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This is an interesting development. Looks like a very motivated Draisaitl is coming to camp.
Not only does it bode well for the future but with the gaping hole at Centre it may be hard to keep the kid off the roster this season.
I honestly think the hardest part about turning pro young is being able to physically handle the men out there. A guy of Drais size has an advantage with that as he is already really strong. His dedication is amazing and I see him being a big fit

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I honestly think the hardest part about turning pro young is being able to physically handle the men out there. A guy of Drais size has an advantage with that as he is already really strong. His dedication is amazing and I see him being a big fit

Yeah it's good to hear, hopefully he looks like a 1st overall by the time TC comes.

We know Hall is doing whatever it is Hall does. I wish we were seeing something from RNH about how his training is going.

The other guys too but everyone agrees RNH will be more effective when he adds strength.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Thats a big part of things but adjusting to the speed and making the right decisions is a big part as well and the only remedy for that is time and experience.

That said its starting to look as if Draisaitl is going to make it very tough for the Oilers to send him back.

If they manage to acquire a 2nd line centre I am okay with Draisaitl getting butter soft minutes for the season.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
People have to remember that most of these guys have already been working out for at least a few seasons and have already gone through their beginner gains.

It's a lot easier for someone that just starts being dedicated to working out to put on 20 lbs in a short amount of time then it is for someone like RNH that has been doing strength training for a number of years now.

Do you know any of Nuge's lifting numbers? He should be in the 1000lb club if he's been doing strength training as a professional for a number of years now. I highly doubt that he is.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Do you know any of Nuge's lifting numbers? He should be in the 1000lb club if he's been doing strength training as a professional for a number of years now. I highly doubt that he is.

This is also the first offseason where his shoulder isn't either damaged or being rehabbed.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
1) By your mid 20's, he is what? 21 years of age? How big were you at that point?

2) He tested the 2nd best for cardio last camp IIRC.

3) He came back sooner than expected from his shoulder surgery.

None of these things sounds like a guy that is lazy and doesn't put in his time at the gym. Another question would be what are the males in your family like? Ultra skinny? Average? Thick build? RNH's brother is built about the same as his younger brother. Let's also not forget that agility is a big part of RNH's game so simply bulking up like he's a defensive lineman won't be doing him any favors in that department.

It's not laziness, I just think he needs to focus more on packing on mass in the summer and perhaps lay off the skating a bit.

His skating is fine, come game 42 of the season he'll be happier that he has that extra 5-10 pounds of muscle IMO.

If I was him and I had a 6 million dollar contract I'd just hire a personal chef for the summer and get my calories up by 1000/cal extra per day.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Maybe RNH has to lay off the upper strength to let his shoulder, you know the one....THAT shoulder, and concentrate on his skating, swerving, turning, stopping, starting, flipping, flopping, and possibly pirouetting.

Like he's doing now. I imagine it takes at least a year or 2 to fully get the proper strength back in that part of your arm.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

I think that's going to make others teams want to come at him that much harder. "Kid is big, he's in the NHL, hit 'em"... that's why I'm worried. Yeah he's big and strong, but he's soft, guys are going to be looking for him, especially if he shows any semblance of being able to hang with the big boys.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think that's going to make others teams want to come at him that much harder. "Kid is big, he's in the NHL, hit 'em"... that's why I'm worried. Yeah he's big and strong, but he's soft, guys are going to be looking for him, especially if he shows any semblance of being able to hang with the big boys.

Again... a player's rookie year in the NHL is going to be a grind whether they are 18,19,20+.

It's going to take adjustment and acclimatization to get used to older, wiser, more physical NHL-sized players and the pace of the game... but every player goes through that in the 1st year no matter what age they are at.

If they have average to above average strength that's working in their favour... other factors obviously being speed, physicality and overall hockey iq to adjust and adapt where needed.

We still have several Oilers working on all those departments (who are far from being rookies anymore)... that doesn't end when a player hits a certain games played number at the NHL level... or a certain age.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Again... a player's rookie year in the NHL is going to be a grind whether they are 18,19,20+.

It's going to take adjustment and acclimatization to get used to older, wiser, more physical NHL-sized players and the pace of the game... but every player goes through that in the 1st year no matter what age they are at.

If they have average to above average strength that's working in their favour... other factors obviously being speed, physicality and overall hockey iq to adjust and adapt where needed.

We still have several Oilers working on all those departments (who are far from being rookies anymore)... that doesn't end when a player hits a certain games played number at the NHL level... or a certain age.

It's going to be a grind, but it's "easier" on the player, both physically and mentally if they have been better equipped and prepped for battle, whether that means an extra year in junior and a year in the A. I think that should be the path of Leon. I think he will struggle mightily this season. I don't like the prospects of a 3rd overall in a weak draft year stepping right into the show having success, when the teams centre depth is embarrassing. This idea of being sheltered is laughable. JMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad