Off season training players & prospects!!!

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I know that a big portion to a players development is how their off season training is going. Hearing things like Nurse is 205lbs and Marincin needs to but on some serious size.

Thought we could have a thread that incorporates all of this together.
What would you like to hear about certain players and prospects?
What do you want to see players and prospects work on?

I would like to hear about about Yak, Marincin, Gernat. I was curious about Nurse but he was all the talk at rookie camp but please still let everyone know what you have heard.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I hear that Nurse put on about 15 lbs since last year....looks like muscle weight to me.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
My dream would be to have all of our underweight roster players and prospects go to a muscle building camp during the offseasons where they are provided with a nutritionist to show them what to eat and a personal trainer to help them bulk up. Time to put away the KD and xbox boys

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
My dream would be to have all of our underweight roster players and prospects go to a muscle building camp during the offseasons where they are provided with a nutritionist to show them what to eat and a personal trainer to help them bulk up. Time to put away the KD and xbox boys

Gary Roberts? :)

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I am real curious on Marincin what he is doing he really has to step up and put some time and dedication to getting bigger

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Why can't we just offer Roberts 5M to work with our kids for 2 months of off-season every season?

surshot*

I don't want Marincin to put on much weight. He appears to be strong enough and the fact that he is very mobile with a long reach and good stick is not something you want to mess with. Nurses Frame how ever is the type that you want to take advantage of. Plus his style of game would benefit greatly.

Broiler

Jul 2, 2014
Most natural bodybuilders can only put on 7-10 pounds of muscle in a year, that hitting macros (diet) and lifting, high intensity cardio/training is said to deplete muscle gains something hockey players must do. To expect a hockey player who only has 3-4 months to workout to put on that much weight in muscle isn't realistic. Unless you hop on some roids of course:D

Last edited:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sounds like one guy who really needs to have a good offseason is Gernat. MacT called him out specifically as a guy who needs to show more dedication in the summer. He's a really interesting prospect.

Broiler

Jul 2, 2014
Body type and genetics play big roles in a players muscle/strength development (ectomorph, Mesomorph, Endomorph)-> ability to add weight to turn into muscle. Some ppl can eat massive amounts of food and can't gain weight (ectomorph) while others pack it on fast (Endomorph). Genetics-> some ppl just are not suppose to have big dense upper bodies or big legs, while others develop these muscle groups easily, however being bigger doesn't always = being stronger, strength training and muscle growth are two different things.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
True..kind of..but when u add more muscle mass and u strengthen that muscle mass then u become even stronger. Both body building and strength are important..if u only do one ur not training to full physical potential.

Greasy Sliders

Jun 29, 2012
So I was at millwoods today and took a peek on the ice. It was the body by bennett guys workin with some oilers prospects on the ice, mainly doing some testing. Was only able to make out a few guys, but I saw Davidson, pretty sure I saw Draisaitl, and Ryan Jones.

And the goalie the guys were shooting on- Devan Dubnyk.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nuge will never be thick if he gets to 190 I would be happy

I don't buy it. I was even skinnier that RNH at his age (165-170) and right about the same height (6'0) and was pretty much the dictionary definition of a hard gainer. My sports coaches in high school tried to get me to work out, but initially there was really no effect.

I got myself up to 193-195 quite comfortably by my mid-20s lifting weights 3x a week and eating more, plus some protein shake supplements. If I was a pro athlete I'd have gotten there quicker too as I'd just focus more on training and eating.

You just have to want it.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
So I was at millwoods today and took a peek on the ice. It was the body by bennett guys workin with some oilers prospects on the ice, mainly doing some testing. Was only able to make out a few guys, but I saw Davidson, pretty sure I saw Draisaitl, and Ryan Jones.

And the goalie the guys were shooting on- Devan Dubnyk.

Ah, confidence drills then.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
wait...what?

Jones?

Dubnyk?

DRcq6.gif

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Does anybody know which players and former players train/live in Edmonton during the offseason?

I know Ference and Scrivens live here but travel often. I think I Smid spends time here too and Draisaitl is here until training camp. Any other guys?

azashi

May 31, 2006
Most natural bodybuilders can only put on 7-10 pounds of muscle in a year, that hitting macros (diet) and lifting, high intensity cardio/training is said to deplete muscle gains something hockey players must do. To expect a hockey player who only has 3-4 months to workout to put on that much weight in muscle isn't realistic. Unless you hop on some roids of course:D
That's only for guys who are already jacked.

If you have an average body build, you can put on a pound of muscle every 10-15 days if you eat right (not necessarily bulk, but lots of proteins+vitamins+minerals + enough carbs and fats to cover the energy expenditure). Nurse supposedly put on 15lbs, and with his frame, that's probably mostly muscle mass. That makes it about 1lb every 24 days, which is reasonable given that he was playing hockey, rather than training, most of the year. By camp I imagine he'll tack on another 4-6lbs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad