Proposal: Off Season Trade Thread vol. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
yeah judging a player on 40 out of 650 games when he could barely skate because of an injury that wasn't healed always delivers the best results. everyone should just get over the first half of this season. He has never skated that poorly, I doubt anyone ever sees a spezza that bad again.

I was half-joking, but my point is that Spezza has proven to be incredibly inconsistent with his two-way game. You can blame injuries all you like, and that may be a factor, but then we shouldn't be praising him for being injury prone.

Spezza is what Spezza is: an elite offensive threat who has a bad back, is nearing the end of his prime and isn't all that good defensively. He's no Patrick Kane.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I was half-joking, but my point is that Spezza has proven to be incredibly inconsistent with his two-way game. You can blame injuries all you like, and that may be a factor, but then we shouldn't be praising him for being injury prone.

Spezza is what Spezza is: an elite offensive threat who has a bad back, is nearing the end of his prime and isn't all that good defensively. He's no Patrick Kane.

surround spezza with the team kane has...and what do you have.
put kane on this senators team with him trying to carry two duds for linemates..and what do you have...

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
surround spezza with the team kane has...and what do you have.
put kane on this senators team with him trying to carry two duds for linemates..and what do you have...

Surround Spezza with Chicago? You have "an elite offensive threat who has a bad back, is nearing the end of his prime and isn't all that good defensively".

Kane is better than Spezza, especially an injured and 31 year old Spezza. I hope you're not trying to argue differently.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
That's interesting, any other notes?

Today on the lunch bunch they were discussing The Spezza story in the Sun and Madeley said he was at a BBQ with someone on the inside who said it was a done deal. He is not a sports guy but does have a good reputation from his many years on talk radio.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Seguin probably deserves a mention here.

Don't understand why you're so hung up on centers. You need guys who can produce. It doesn't matter where they play. PK Subban is extremely one dimensional, so is Marian Gaborik and Jeff Carter. They're having tons of success for their teams in the playoffs. Most teams, ours included generally don't distinguish the forward roles much. First guy back often has to cover down low. Find a solid two way guy to play with Spezza and keep his irreplaceable offense. Much easier to find than a PPG type player.

Here's the thing, I don't disagree. I was addressing that point. In fact, I agree with you. Much easier to stack some wingers on a PPG than try to build an entire first line from scratch... but do we have the assets to do so? Will Spezza still be able to produce when we DO get the assets(2-3 years from now) will Ottawa sign Spezza to long term deal? Will his injuries add up?

It's not a question of adding assets NOW. Also, even if we get a winger, does this team's goaltending and defenders have what it takes or are they a couple years away?

Spezza paced at 109 pts on the Pizza line; is 11 pts far superior? I agree that Malkin is a better offensive player, but the difference isn't as big as you're making it out to be, Spezza was scoring at the same pace as Ovechkin during that lines hay-day.

Give Malkin Heatley and Alfredsson in their primes and he'd get 150.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm still very pissed at CFRA

Oldies 1310 was the radio of my childhood since my Mom used to listen to it all the time back then and she used to sing along to all the songs

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
what's the rationale for the Canucks?

I'd assume because the Sedins as well as Spezza need a change of scenery, and their GM was a fool and traded both their goalies away (hence Andy being involved). Vancouver would be trading away skill and would want Spezza to replace that skill.

I guess OP feels Weir needs to be added for Van to pull the trigger. I disagree.

Would I do it? Probably not. As good as the Sedins are, they are not the grittier type players I think Murray is targeting. They are finesse players, and we would ***** about their style of play a lot.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
I'd assume because the Sedins as well as Spezza need a change of scenery, and their GM was a fool and traded both their goalies away (hence Andy being involved). Vancouver would be trading away skill and would want Spezza to replace that skill.

I guess OP feels Weir needs to be added for Van to pull the trigger. I disagree.

Would I do it? Probably not. As good as the Sedins are, they are not the grittier type players I think Murray is targeting. They are finesse players, and we would ***** about their style of play a lot.

How about we switch Weircioch with Gryba and Greening? I'd consider it just to get rid of them both.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Not even getting into why I don't want the Sedins, if you trade away Anderson and Lehner struggles his confidence is going to get destroyed. There is no one else in the system that can help, and if the Sens are going to sign a good UFA goalie to help him out, why wouldn't the Canucks just sign one instead of trading for one?

Lehner is not ready to go it alone without insulation. He's much to valuable a player to make such a dangerous gamble on.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Two 33 year olds past their prime and making $7 million per until their 37/38? What's the rationale? To compete now? What about our defense? Is Lehner ready to start for a contender?

No. For either team.

We take on 2 extra million for 2 legit top 6 forwards.

Vancouver gets a starting Goalie, A #1 Center and an NHL Dman and Cap space.

It the offseason. :dunno:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not even getting into why I don't want the Sedins, if you trade away Anderson and Lehner struggles his confidence is going to get destroyed. There is no one else in the system that can help, and if the Sens are going to sign a good UFA goalie to help him out, why wouldn't the Canucks just sign one instead of trading for one?

Lehner is not ready to go it alone without insulation. He's much to valuable a player to make such a dangerous gamble on.

Brodeur for 2.5 mill.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
"Captain Phillips makes Big impact, leaving Sens in A League of Their Own on the Road to Perdition."

I can't wait.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
if the Leafs are shopping Phaneuf, then I think that would make the the process a sign and trade because his extension and NTC doesn't kick in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad