Proposal: Off Season Trade Thread vol. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Chicago and Patrick Kane might disagree with you

Kane is a winger, he's allowed to be one-dimensional.

I have a hard time sympathizing with Spezza when he doesn't connect with a coach that game him a free ride to coast around the ice and play no defense whatsoever for half the season - a half-season that costed us a playoff position.

I can't imagine how "disconnected" he'd be with a coach that actually preached accountability, two-way play and hard work.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Chicago and Patrick Kane might disagree with you

Kane is a much better skater and better defensively, IMO. Not to mention that he's a winger. He's also not 31 and does not have the back of a frail old man.

I love Spezza but this is Patrick Kane we're talking about.

Also, Chicago has a ton of defensively sound forwards. Kane plays with one of the best.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
kane is not better defensively

all you have to do with spezza is give him a winger who play a 2 way game like we did with the Alfie - Spezza -Heatley line

The solution is actually quite simple but ottawa can't do that cause we dont even have wingers

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
kane is not better defensively

all you have to do with spezza is give him a winger who play a 2 way game like we did with the Alfie - Spezza -Heatley line

The solution is actually quite simple but ottawa can't do that cause we dont even have wingers

I would say they were about even, but then I remembered how Spezza played during the first half of this past season...

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
without a doubt our offense will suffer but there are ppl here who actually believe turris and zibby can carry it ....of course those same ppl will call of murray's head next season when we have inconsistant offense

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say Karlssons production will drop a little bit if spezza is traded. I also remember people "calling" Turris during the lockout season when he wasnt producing, I know turris is much better now but his offense will dry up at some point next season and who will be the secondary offense? Well its okay at least we have good defense and goaltending to cover up for lack offense.... oh wait.

People think our younger guys are ready to step up this season? Look no farther than just this season, murray and co relied too much on young defense and that turned out to be a disaster. Zibby as 2c? ok who will be his wingers?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You can name a pair of recent Conn Smyth winners in Kane and Malkin who are one dimensional and soft and still managed to be key contributors on their teams.

which is why i hate it when people say toews is the blackhawks

Without the dynamic offense that Kane provides or on team canada toews wouldnt be anywhere near as effective.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
You can name a pair of recent Conn Smyth winners in Kane and Malkin who are one dimensional and soft and still managed to be key contributors on their teams.

Kane is a winger. Malkin, who is 10X better than Spezza, has Crosby to do the heavy lifting for him. If all we need to succeed with Spezza is to get a 'Crosby' type player, I'm all ears on how we could get him. Is that player in Bingo? I've heard good things about that Pageau kid.:help:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I actually can't believe how overrated Oshie has become on these boards.

We are talking about a player who has broken 50 pts twice in his career and is only 3 year younger than Spezza and is not even 6 feet tall. Yes Oshie has a better defensive game but he can't touch spezza imo.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say Karlssons production will drop a little bit if spezza is traded. I also remember people "calling" Turris during the lockout season when he wasnt producing, I know turris is much better now but his offense will dry up at some point next season and who will be the secondary offense? Well its okay at least we have good defense and goaltending to cover up for lack offense.... oh wait.

People think our younger guys are ready to step up this season? Look no farther than just this season, murray and co relied too much on young defense and that turned out to be a disaster. Zibby as 2c? ok who will be his wingers?

I think your theory is valid but the example is not.

Our defence didn't necessarily suffer due to inexperience or youth. They were just bad. Gryba didn't play well because he's not a good NHL defenseman, not because he's too young. Cowen follows suit. Ceci was one of our best defenders. He was also the youngest. Phillips was one of our worst defensemen all year and he's a dinosaur in comparison.

IMO, we have a lot more raw talent up front when it comes to young prospects or players. Guys like Hoffman, Stone, Pageau, Puempel, Prince, etc. There's going to be growing pains and youth/experience does play a role, but I certainly feel like that there's far more to worry about when it comes to why our back end struggled mightily last season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

The match ups for Turris is really going to be an issue. Maclean was pretty comfortable playing Turris against other team's top lines while the other coaches throw checkers at Spezza. At least Mac had some options. Now the opposition will be free to throw their best checking line on Turris to free up their top line... against our stellar checking line of Smith, Neil and Greening while we try to rely on Zibanejad to ease the pressure off Turris instead of a PPG guy like Spezza. Then there's the neutering of our PP. Then key offensive zone draws where Smith will become the #1 option over Spezza. Oh, next year will be fun /s.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014

We are talking about a player who has broken 50 pts twice in his career and is only 3 year younger than Spezza and is not even 6 feet tall. Yes Oshie has a better defensive game but he can't touch spezza imo.

I do agree with this.

I've always admired Oshie's game but he's nothing, and will be, nothing more than a 2nd liner for the remainder of his career.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Defensemen take longer to develop and their mistakes are amplified

I think with Cowen Karlsson and Ceci we have a lot more potential on defense

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol, you know you're grasping for straws when you compare Spezza to Kane.

I can name a bunch of one dimensional wingers who are considered the best in the league like Kane, Kessel, Ovechkin, Vanek, Neal

Now name me one dimension center(who isn't generational offensively) who is top 10 or even top 15 in the league, lol. I can only think of Thornton and we all know how that train is rolling.

I'm not even gonna address Malkin.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Kane is a winger. Malkin, who is 10X better than Spezza, has Crosby to do the heavy lifting for him. If all we need to succeed with Spezza is to get a 'Crosby' type player, I'm all ears on how we could get him. Is that player in Bingo? I've heard good things about that Pageau kid.:help:

Hyperbole. Spezza is essentially Malkin when he's surrounded by the talent Malkin has always been accustomed to, like back in the pizza line days. Turris is our Crosby. He could take those tough 5 on 5 minutes from Spezza while you use him in key offensive situations. I don't understand why people can't see how that's a great one two punch when they complement each other's weaknesses so well.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

He just hit 60 points playing on a defense-first team. I don't think it's a stretch to think he can maintain his production if he played on a offense-first team like the Sens.

If that's the case, he's a 60 point winger that works hard, plays great defense and is one of the best shootout players in the league. Kid had a 75% success rate in the shootout this season - 9 goals on 12 attempts. Given our terrible performance in the shootout, a player like Oshie would be a godsend.

I'd love to acquire him, but I can't imagine he'd be available, even for a superior offensive player in Spezza.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lol, you know you're grasping for straws when you compare Spezza to Kane.

I can name a bunch of one dimensional wingers who are considered the best in the league like Kane, Kessel, Ovechkin, Vanek, Neal

Now name me one dimension center(who isn't generational offensively) who is top 10 or even top 15 in the league, lol. I can only think of Thornton and we all know how that train is rolling.

I'm not even gonna address Malkin.

Seguin probably deserves a mention here.

Don't understand why you're so hung up on centers. You need guys who can produce. It doesn't matter where they play. PK Subban is extremely one dimensional, so is Marian Gaborik and Jeff Carter. They're having tons of success for their teams in the playoffs. Most teams, ours included generally don't distinguish the forward roles much. First guy back often has to cover down low. Find a solid two way guy to play with Spezza and keep his irreplaceable offense. Much easier to find than a PPG type player.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hyperbole. Spezza is essentially Malkin when he's surrounded by the talent Malkin has always been accustomed to, like back in the pizza line days. Turris is our Crosby. He could take those tough 5 on 5 minutes from Spezza while you use him in key offensive situations. I don't understand why people can't see how that's a great one two punch when they complement each other's weaknesses so well.

Spezza is not Malkin. Spezza will never be Malkin.

Malkin put on the pizza line could have hit 120 points. He's always been a far superior offensive player to Spezza, no matter who his linemates were.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Malkin put on the pizza line could have hit 120 points. He's always been a far superior offensive player to Spezza, no matter who his linemates were.

Malkin is better than Spezza. But they aren't THAT far off. The biggest different now is age. Wasn't Spezza usually on pace for about 110 points on that line? Malin is probably the most gifted offensive player in the game, Spezza is probably top 10.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Spezza paced at 109 pts on the Pizza line; is 11 pts far superior? I agree that Malkin is a better offensive player, but the difference isn't as big as you're making it out to be, Spezza was scoring at the same pace as Ovechkin during that lines hay-day.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Whether Spezza was Malkin or Kane or not in his prime, the important thing to recognize is he is no longer in his prime, and either way, we don't have a Crosby or Toews to throw out there in their prime either. The ship on the Spezza window has sailed. He is a depreciating asset, albeit one with significant value still, but we won't be able leverage his last few prime years to win a cup. So move him while he still has some value, because he really could have a few more good years left.

But if you aren't contending, you're rebuilding. So time to get on with it .

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would say they were about even, but then I remembered how Spezza played during the first half of this past season...

yeah judging a player on 40 out of 650 games when he could barely skate because of an injury that wasn't healed always delivers the best results. everyone should just get over the first half of this season. He has never skated that poorly, I doubt anyone ever sees a spezza that bad again.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005

Just by blues fans IMO. Spezza would be a game changer on that team but he's apparently not worth any of their top forwards. Imagine having a team where your top 3 or 4 forwards are better then Spezza. I can't wait for them to win the cup this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad