Proposal: Off Season Trade Thread vol. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Well, see I don't agree with that at all. Take a look at the history of star players getting moved and what they return. What makes it worse, by making a commitment to Spezza, we could have had Hemsky as well, who is better than anything that Spezza will return in a trade.

The only way I see us getting anything decent for Spez, is in the form of picks. We get a good prospect in the '14 or '15 draft who can help us in 4-5 years when the current core needs to be shipped out or replaced.

If they get a 2014 first round pick then Murray can bundle it with our 1st round pick 2015 and maybe a mid range prospect and move up into the top 10 this year where you will get a good player.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Fusbolito

Jan 29, 2012
One of the things that has been the most frustrating during this rebuild, to me, is dealing with fans who overvalue our prospects, and place the future of the team squarely on their shoulders right away, instead of giving them proper time to develop.

It's been a near-constant refrain, throughout our rebuild, that "Oh, don't worry, Bobby Butler will score 35 next year, that will give us some needed offense!" "Rundblad? Dude will annihilate this year! Calder favourite for sure" "Silfverberg will be our next Alfredsson! Ooh-Aah, Silfverberg!" "J-G Pageau is a folk hero now, let's Ole-Ole him into the night!" "Mark Stone will save us! Or maybe Curtis Lazar! He's a sure thing!"

We don't know diddly-squat about how prospects will do, none of us, even after watching them play in professional leagues. To sit there and claim that Mark Stone, or Mike Hoffman, or J-G Pageau, or anyone in the system at the moment will replace the offense of a PPG Jason Spezza is the very definition of delusional optimism. It may happen, but the chances are so incredibly against it that I find it hard to take anyone who claims knowledge of this seriously unless they are a professional scout, and even THEN scouts are wrong half the time. I don't DISLIKE Stone, in fact, I'm pretty high on him, but youth is NOT always the answer.

If we lose Spezza, we instantly become a different team, and one that, in my opinion, has a significantly reduced chance to make the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Note that I don't think we WILL keep Spezza, there are too many rumours flying around from too many differently sourced journalists for this to be complete bupkis, but simply that I think it's a mistake. I'm not change-averse, but we missed our window to trade Spezza at his highest value, and we won't get anything like a Schwartz or a Drouin or what have you for him, IMO. We risk losing one of our most accomplished and most talented offensive threats for probably a B prospect and a second-liner, and that, in my opinion, isn't worth it. FQL is right, what we're looking at is a BEST-case scenario where we get a player who isn't going to play for another four years, and that makes no sense.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Would I want the Sens to sign Spezza to a long-term, high-priced contract this summer? No

Would Spezza want to sign a long-term deal with the Sens this summer? Doesn't sound like it.

So it's time to move on. A future with Spezza playing several years for the Sens is a fantasy. Trade the one future year of Spezza for the best offer. I will be happy with whatever we get but I do think most of you will be pleasantly surprised by the assets we get in return.

And I'm confident that we will be better for it in the long run. The rebuild will continue. This team really hasn't been close to contention for several years. Admit it.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If they get a 2014 first round pick then Murray can bundle it with our 1st round pick 2015 and maybe a mid range prospect and move up into the top 10 this year where you will get a good player.

:cry:

Why would you do this? Our odds for MacDavid will be pretty high, and you want to give that away for a prospect that would have no chance at helping us in 14-15? No thanks.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
One of the things that has been the most frustrating during this rebuild, to me, is dealing with fans who overvalue our prospects, and place the future of the team squarely on their shoulders right away, instead of giving them proper time to develop.

It's been a near-constant refrain, throughout our rebuild, that "Oh, don't worry, Bobby Butler will score 35 next year, that will give us some needed offense!" "Rundblad? Dude will annihilate this year! Calder favourite for sure" "Silfverberg will be our next Alfredsson! Ooh-Aah, Silfverberg!" "J-G Pageau is a folk hero now, let's Ole-Ole him into the night!" "Mark Stone will save us! Or maybe Curtis Lazar! He's a sure thing!"

We don't know diddly-squat about how prospects will do, none of us, even after watching them play in professional leagues. To sit there and claim that Mark Stone, or Mike Hoffman, or J-G Pageau, or anyone in the system at the moment will replace the offense of a PPG Jason Spezza is the very definition of delusional optimism. It may happen, but the chances are so incredibly against it that I find it hard to take anyone who claims knowledge of this seriously unless they are a professional scout, and even THEN scouts are wrong half the time. I don't DISLIKE Stone, in fact, I'm pretty high on him, but youth is NOT always the answer.

If we lose Spezza, we instantly become a different team, and one that, in my opinion, has a significantly reduced chance to make the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Note that I don't think we WILL keep Spezza, there are too many rumours flying around from too many differently sourced journalists for this to be complete bupkis, but simply that I think it's a mistake. I'm not change-averse, but we missed our window to trade Spezza at his highest value, and we won't get anything like a Schwartz or a Drouin or what have you for him, IMO. We risk losing one of our most accomplished and most talented offensive threats for probably a B prospect and a second-liner, and that, in my opinion, isn't worth it. FQL is right, what we're looking at is a BEST-case scenario where we get a player who isn't going to play for another four years, and that makes no sense.

Its the same with every fan base take the Leafs fans some think there going to get a package of young propects for Dion while in reality they would be lucky to get a high pick.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014

We don't want to be giving away our picks for next year, I would take a top 15 in 2015 over a top 10 this year.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
:cry:

Why would you do this? Our odds for MacDavid will be pretty high, and you want to give that away for a prospect that would have no chance at helping us in 14-15? No thanks.

Not talking 14-15 you move up to get between 5-10 maybe as for they have high odds of getting David no they don't.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Not talking 14-15 you move up to get between 5-10 maybe as for they have high odds of getting David no they don't.

I mean the 14-15 season, bud. No one between 5-10 in the 2014 draft is gonna come in and save us next year. We're probably a lottery team unless some players take huge leaps in their development. Our first round pick next year is off limits with the current state of the franchise.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hitchcock has coached Spezza twice at the WHC
16GP 10Pts

In 2008 Spezza was demoted to the 4th line by Hitch

Hitchcock said he could turn Spezza into Yzerman in 2009 - a year after he was demoted to the 4th line. The second time Hitchcock coached Spezza he put up a PPG at the WHC.

I fail to see your point.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Hitchcock said he could turn Spezza into Yzerman in 2009 - a year after he was demoted to the 4th line. The second time Hitchcock coached Spezza he put up a PPG at the WHC.

I fail to see your point.

You realize he knows all of this, it would be impossible for him to gather the information without knowing it.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ryan the last two years
116GP 34G 78Pts 184Hits

Kadri the last two years
126GP 38G 94Pts 203Hits

Just saying... Kadri would not be a bad center piece for Spezza... A lot of love on this board for Ryan and Kadri has been his equal since the lockout

I'd actually love to get Kadri.

Maroon, Vatanen, W. Karlsson for Spezza?

Anaheim is a prime team that would be all over Spezza, imo.

We've all seen Anaheim's offensive capabilities with Getzlaf injured, now imagine no Selanne and Saku Koivu.

They also have immense number of pieces they can afford to trade. Spezza could thrive in Anaheim with upcoming powerforward wingers and snipers all over the place like etem, silfverberg, palmeri, maroon, belesky, d-s pelly. I think we can snag one of them alongside Rakell/Karlsson and a guy like Vatenan or our 1st. A lot of options.

That could instigate St. Louis to give up pieces like Rattie+Berglund+ which I'd be happy with.

Bobby Ryan may want to play for a team that can afford to surround him with talent

Ryan was playing with a top 3-5 line in hockey before he got injured and the best D in the game. He's good.

I think Murray will insist on Schwartz.

We wanted him in the draft , and traded our pick away when he was taken.

Even if Ottawa had to add something as part of a bigger package, I think Schwartz would be an amazing pick up.

Schwartz will be almost an indefinite no go. If Murray can snag him, then it would be an even bigger steal than the Turris trade and Murray would have compensated for all and any the past mistakes(I.E. PHILLIPSZSSZ!)

With that being said, they are extremely deep and I think they can afford to get rid of a package around Rattie which I'd pursue.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Oshie = Penner = Michalek

those are names we saw thrown around for Heatley do I think Murray will ask for Schwartz first and once that is declined go after Oshie

No way he settles for Berglund or Rattie as the centerpeice. Oshie is so overrated it isnt even funny. Michalek had better seasons than Oshie when he was dealt

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Lock out season? We did better with Karlsson on the shelf too. Hell, Tampa did better with Stamkos out.

We weren't better without Spezza. Look at those games against Carolina and the Isles down the stretch. We played a pair of AHL teams and barely managed to score a goal. It was pathetic.

We're probably better without a damaged Spezza and a guy like Da Costa in, but not a healthy or even 85% Spezza, who is still one of the elite offensive players in the league. His production isn't replaceable. Once Spezza was in form, he carried us down the stretch along with Hemsky flanking him. We could have one of the more dominant offensive lines in hockey but we're about to let that walk away and get scraps like Berglund in return.

I think we'll talk about this decision the way we talk about Chara/Redden, Havlat, Heatley/Hossa in a few years. This is the type of franchise defining move that we'll all fume at when other fans bring it up.

I'm with this guy. Trading Spezza will serious scale back our O, no matter what kind of return we get.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I'm with this guy. Trading Spezza will serious scale back our O, no matter what kind of return we get.

without a doubt our offense will suffer but there are ppl here who actually believe turris and zibby can carry it ....of course those same ppl will call of murray's head next season when we have inconsistant offense

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I would do anything to get Hemsky resigned and Camalleri signed.

Cammy-Spezza-Hemsky
Mac-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibby-Stone
Greening-Smith-Neil

That is a good group. I know it's over budget, but holy would that be awesome

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Because cup winners are built with one dimensional soft centermen with wonky backs who 'disconnect' from coaches who want them to backcheck?

Having a Spezza is the last thing we need, winners are no longer built with players like Spezza, we're not the mid 80's anymore.

Chicago and Patrick Kane might disagree with you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad