Proposal: Off Season Trade Thread vol. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
I think your theory is valid but the example is not.

Our defence didn't necessarily suffer due to inexperience or youth. They were just bad. Gryba didn't play well because he's not a good NHL defenseman, not because he's too young. Cowen follows suit. Ceci was one of our best defenders. He was also the youngest. Phillips was one of our worst defensemen all year and he's a dinosaur in comparison.

IMO, we have a lot more raw talent up front when it comes to young prospects or players. Guys like Hoffman, Stone, Pageau, Puempel, Prince, etc. There's going to be growing pains and youth/experience does play a role, but I certainly feel like that there's far more to worry about when it comes to why our back end struggled mightily last season.

Then we're in an even worse shape, your saying our problem was lack of talent where Im saying our problem was inexperience. We're in trouble next year lol

The match ups for Turris is really going to be an issue. Maclean was pretty comfortable playing Turris against other team's top lines while the other coaches throw checkers at Spezza. At least Mac had some options. Now the opposition will be free to throw their best checking line on Turris to free up their top line... against our stellar checking line of Smith, Neil and Greening while we try to rely on Zibanejad to ease the pressure off Turris instead of a PPG guy like Spezza. Then there's the neutering of our PP. Then key offensive zone draws where Smith will become the #1 option over Spezza. Oh, next year will be fun /s.

Exactly, I forgot the powerplay. Our powerplay this year wasnt very good at home, takeaway our best pp player and well...

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Sedin - Sedin - Hemsky
MacArhtur - Turris - Ryan

give me the ****ing pen im gonna forge murrays signature on this one.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Then we're in an even worse shape, your saying our problem was lack of talent where Im saying our problem was inexperience. We're in trouble next year lol

Exactly, I forgot the powerplay. Our powerplay this year wasnt very good at home, takeaway our best pp player and well...

No there not in trouble when your rebuilding it takes time next year they will be better.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Bobby Ryan ($5.100m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m)
Mike Hoffman ($0.726m) / Mika Zibanejad ($0.894m) / Mark Stone ($0.603m)
Colin Greening ($2.650m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)
Stephane Da Costa ($0.866m)

DEFENSEMEN
Erik Karlsson ($6.500m) / Jared Cowen ($3.100m)
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Cody Ceci ($0.894m)
Mark Borowiecki ($0.575m) / Chris Phillips ($2.500m)
Eric Gryba ($0.660m)

GOALTENDERS
Robin Lehner ($2.500m)
Martin Brodeur ($2.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,756,417; BONUSES: $1,595,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $9,343,583

Not a bad looking roster for the money.

A break for the Sedin's from the type of play in the west could rejuvenate them. As it stands now I don't think Vancouver can get back to being an elite team because they have no prospects.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
No there not in trouble when your rebuilding it takes time next year they will be better.

One step forward for our younger players, two steps back for the organization losing its best forward.

Imagine what an injury to Turris could mean for the team. We're also really lacking some decent veteran guys to help out the younger ones. We used to have Alfie, Spezza, Gonchar etc. Now it'll be solely on Neil and Phillips, who probably shouldn't even be on the roster in the first place. I'd like to include Methot in that group but he probably has one foot out the door.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Do you really think that roster can compete with Boston and Pittsburgh? That type of move isn't for the future, it's strictly to compete now. Can we beat the other contenders in our conference with that team? Personally, I think we'd have a better chance with Hemsky and Spezza instead of the Sedins.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I wonder what ten teams Spezz said he could not be traded too.

Why would we want the Sedins at 34 years old in a couple of months.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
One step forward for our younger players, two steps back for the organization losing its best forward.

Imagine what an injury to Turris could mean for the team. We're also really lacking some decent veteran guys to help out the younger ones. We used to have Alfie, Spezza, Gonchar etc. Now it'll be solely on Neil and Phillips, who probably shouldn't even be on the roster in the first place. I'd like to include Methot in that group but he probably has one foot out the door.

Your assuming there not going to get anything back and the team won't sign a single player.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Your assuming there not going to get anything back and the team won't sign a single player.

Umm, well you're going to be extremely disappointed on the signing players end of this. You may have heard of this whole internal budget thing.

Secondly, if we're aiming for players to make an immediate impact on our team from a Spezza trade, odds are we're going to get fleeced in a major way. The only way to come out on top of that deal is with an emphasis on futures. We shouldn't expect them to help us next season.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hell no! Sedins are soft and slooooooow. They are NOT first line players anymore. Not by a long shot. And adding in Andy? Not a chance. Who will be the backup? The towel boy?

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Umm, well you're going to be extremely disappointed on the signing players end of this. You may have heard of this whole internal budget thing.

Secondly, if we're aiming for players to make an immediate impact on our team from a Spezza trade, odds are we're going to get fleeced in a major way. The only way to come out on top of that deal is with an emphasis on futures. We shouldn't expect them to help us next season.

Some are reading to much into what a budget means yes its there does it mean the team won't spend no it does not as for Ottawa gets fleeced in a major way not likely Ottawa would only make a deal if it makes sense.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Some are reading to much into what a budget means yes its there does it mean the team won't spend no it does not as for Ottawa gets fleeced in a major way not likely Ottawa would only make a deal if it makes sense.

You really need to use more punctuation.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Wow, terrible deal. I want no part of the Sedins at this point. 7 years ago, maybe. Not now.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I think you may be the one misinterpreting what 'budget' means. Either way, Spezza makes 4M in cash next year, we aren't going to get better dollar value than that anywhere, be it by trade or free agency.

Ottawa is leaving themselves open to getting fleeced in a major way. This Spezza business is becoming far too public. At this point, is there any realistic scenario where Ottawa brings him back next year (let alone are able to re sign him)? I think the damage has already been done here, Ottawa has to trade him at this point.

I'll just hope for the best on the return. I have very low expectations but maybe it'll be another Yashin heist. Too bad Milbury isn't still in the league.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Where will Spezza end up?

Feel free to merge this with the Spezza discussion thread.
Where will Spezza end up and explain why you think this.
Anaheim
Florida
St.Louis
Dallas
Chicago
Ottawa
Edmonton
Other:

Can a mod move this to the Spezza thread. I wanted a poll with it.

Last edited:

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
I think you may be the one misinterpreting what 'budget' means. Either way, Spezza makes 4M in cash next year, we aren't going to get better dollar value than that anywhere, be it by trade or free agency.

Ottawa is leaving themselves open to getting fleeced in a major way. This Spezza business is becoming far too public. At this point, is there any realistic scenario where Ottawa brings him back next year (let alone are able to re sign him)? I think the damage has already been done here, Ottawa has to trade him at this point.

I'll just hope for the best on the return. I have very low expectations but maybe it'll be another Yashin heist. Too bad Milbury isn't still in the league.

Atleast most Ottawa fans know the return won't be huge for Spezza yet some Leafs fans think there going to get a package of real good young players for Dion while in reality there not going to get much more then a draft pick back.

Lehnsanity

Oct 10, 2012
Ottawa
Atleast most Ottawa fans know the return won't be huge for Spezza yet some Leafs fans think there going to get a package of real good young players for Dion while in reality there not going to get much more then a draft pick back.

Spezza is signed for 1 year, while dion is signed 7 more years... They are going to need to retain, but they are gonna get way more than a draft pick

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Spezza is signed for 1 year, while dion is signed 7 more years... They are going to need to retain, but they are gonna get way more than a draft pick

For some teams, the 1 year term may be more favourable. I doubt there are a ton of teams out there who are interested in Phanuef for 7 years. He's been deteriorating very quickly, it reminds me of Redden. Still a great offensive threat but his skating used to be a real asset, now it severely limits his play. Not many teams will be able to shelter a 7M defenseman who isn't elite in any aspect of the game. You can shelter a guy like Spezza on the second line if you want and he'll go out there and still pick up his point per game. I'd rather spend 7M on that.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He just hit 60 points playing on a defense-first team. I don't think it's a stretch to think he can maintain his production if he played on a offense-first team like the Sens.

If that's the case, he's a 60 point winger that works hard, plays great defense and is one of the best shootout players in the league. Kid had a 75% success rate in the shootout this season - 9 goals on 12 attempts. Given our terrible performance in the shootout, a player like Oshie would be a godsend.

I'd love to acquire him, but I can't imagine he'd be available, even for a superior offensive player in Spezza.
He will be what MacArthur is to us not a game breaker but a good complimentary player. At 27 he probably won't improve much...

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I find it hard to believe that Ottawa would have a deal for spezza done and not make it official

Also they might as well wait to see if Anaheim and Chicago enter the top 6 center market

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He will be what MacArthur is to us not a game breaker but a good complimentary player. At 27 he probably won't improve much...

I buy into the idea that he'll produce more in a more offensive system. You only have to look at David Perron to see an example of this. Hitchcock can kill offensive player's numbers to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad