Speculation: Off Season Thread Part II: Wake me up when September ends

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It was just a year ago that some were talking about Ellis being captain material
even though he was injured and going to be out for 1/2 a season. What a difference a year makes.
It hasn't changed my view on Ellis. I think he's a good player, a good leader, and I want him here. What I am not willing to do is risk hamstringing the team to keep him here.

Also I have no favorite player, the name on the back doesn't matter to me. The logo on the front is all I care about.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
chicago ditches hossa's contract to arizona and gives up hinostroza essentially as a sweetener. f***ing coyotes. i don't say this lightly knowing what we have been through but i fully support arizona relocating to anywhere.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
chicago ditches hossa's contract to arizona and gives up hinostroza essentially as a sweetener. ****ing coyotes. i don't say this lightly knowing what we have been through but i fully support arizona relocating to anywhere.

I think that's a good deal for Zona. The Hawks don't have a lot of assets to acquire anyone and there aren't any quality free agents left. I remember there were talks last year where they thought that Oesterle was going to replace Keith soon, he was that good. In a way he did in the end of the season. Also, losing Hino hurts a lot 0.50ppg young gun from an aging group. The Hawks' defense is still atrocious and the offense won't carry them far if Toews doesn't get his shit together someday.

I think the Hawks are grasping at straws here.

Reactions: BigFatCat999

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
They picked up Kruger's cap hit though, and Hossa would have been moved to LTIR at the start of the season anyway... :dunno:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I think with the recent moves by Chicago and as much as we despise them if I'm poile I'd be on the phone with Montreal to see what the want for pacthes just to block them and I really would like to see what he could do on our team.
Forsberg Joey arvi
Fiala turris smith
Patches bones tolvenen
Jarnkrok sissons Hartman

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I think that's a good deal for Zona. The Hawks don't have a lot of assets to acquire anyone and there aren't any quality free agents left. I remember there were talks last year where they thought that Oesterle was going to replace Keith soon, he was that good. In a way he did in the end of the season. Also, losing Hino hurts a lot 0.50ppg young gun from an aging group. The Hawks' defense is still atrocious and the offense won't carry them far if Toews doesn't get his **** together someday.

I think the Hawks are grasping at straws here.
it's not even necessarily who won or lost the deal for me. it's just to the point of what the f*** is the point of there being a team in this league like the coyotes?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
it's not even necessarily who won or lost the deal for me. it's just to the point of what the **** is the point of there being a team in this league like the coyotes?
I just get pissed that it seems like every time Chicago has to start paying for its cap mistakes someone bails them the f*** out.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I just get pissed that it seems like every time Chicago has to start paying for its cap mistakes someone bails them the **** out.
I think the hawks are holding on by short thread. They have 9 million in cap space and only have 9 forwards up. Their gonna have to spend some of that cap on feeling up the roster. Another thing rumor has it that they are going after pacioretty or/and Skinner and faulk. My question is what kind of assets do they really have to to get them?

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I just get pissed that it seems like every time Chicago has to start paying for its cap mistakes someone bails them the **** out.

Last time they paid to dump a contract they lost Teravainen, he's still young and he'd be the Hawks second best forward right now if they still had him. They lost another decent young forward with potential today, so I'm fine with the trade. My problem was more with league allowing them to LTIR Hossa in the 1st place.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Hawks got themselves in cap hell. They are still on the lets get back our old team in getting Kruger back.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think with the recent moves by Chicago and as much as we despise them if I'm poile I'd be on the phone with Montreal to see what the want for pacthes just to block them and I really would like to see what he could do on our team.
Forsberg Joey arvi
Fiala turris smith
Patches bones tolvenen
Jarnkrok sissons Hartman

Patches + PK = No Bueno

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Patches + PK = No Bueno

Maybe, maybe not. According to some Montreal rumors, they hate each other. Of course, according to some Montreal rumors, PK is the worst teammate in the history of amateur or professional sports and almost everyone hates him. They might not like one another now, but there are videos online of the two of them hanging out and goofing off. Either way, I wouldn't state it as fact based solely on the Montreal media.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Maybe, maybe not. According to some Montreal rumors, they hate each other. Of course, according to some Montreal rumors, PK is the worst teammate in the history of amateur or professional sports and almost everyone hates him. They might not like one another now, but there are videos online of the two of them hanging out and goofing off. Either way, I wouldn't state it as fact based solely on the Montreal media.
See that's the thing I'm looking at. Did Montreal media just make up that stuff to make the trade seem inevitable. They do like to make stuff up as we seen this year. I think they probably wasny the best of friends but it was blown way out of proportion. I don't think patches would mess up the chemistry we have in our locker room. Of course I would ask subban if it was cool first and see how he thinks he would fit

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Montreal media and rumor mill certainly can't be trusted. But forgetting entirely about that side of things, Pacioretty doesn't seem like a good player to go after IMO. His terrible season last year may be an anomaly, but he has always been dogged by criticisms of being soft and streaky and not showing up in the playoffs either. Plus I'm fine with our LW contingent.

You'd have to pick him up as a rental player only, because he reportedly wants an enormous long-term contract that is more in line with his previous 35+ goal exploits than his latest output. I don't want him for 7/8 yrs at $7.5M. Giving up our best young trade assets to rent him for this 1 season isn't something I'd be interested in either. I'd let somebody else roll the dice on him.

If it cost us a 1st+Fabbro, say, that's "forget about it" territory. If it cost us a 2nd round pick and a much lesser prospect, ok, that's different, and not too shabby for a rental of his stature, but it doesn't sound like the Habs are going to be that desperate to find a trade partner?

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Capture r.jpg

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Montreal media and rumor mill certainly can't be trusted. But forgetting entirely about that side of things, Pacioretty doesn't seem like a good player to go after IMO. His terrible season last year may be an anomaly, but he has always been dogged by criticisms of being soft and streaky and not showing up in the playoffs either. Plus I'm fine with our LW contingent.

You'd have to pick him up as a rental player only, because he reportedly wants an enormous long-term contract that is more in line with his previous 35+ goal exploits than his latest output. I don't want him for 7/8 yrs at $7.5M. Giving up our best young trade assets to rent him for this 1 season isn't something I'd be interested in either. I'd let somebody else roll the dice on him.

If it cost us a 1st+Fabbro, say, that's "forget about it" territory. If it cost us a 2nd round pick and a much lesser prospect, ok, that's different, and not too shabby for a rental of his stature, but it doesn't sound like the Habs are going to be that desperate to find a trade partner?
As much as I think Montreal fans want a good return and a top prospect I just don't see that happening. I think he will solely be traded as a rental. As a rental and not giving up a top prospect I would do it. And I think you a get a player trying to prove he deserves a good next contract. Just a thought

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Crazy idea, but what about Ellis with agreed extension for Trouba? Trouba might take a discount in a better city, while Ellis is still going to a contending team. Saves Winnipeg more cash as well and they get a good ole Canadian boy. Whomever is better is moot at this point, as Trouba has more potential.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
As much as I think Montreal fans want a good return and a top prospect I just don't see that happening. I think he will solely be traded as a rental. As a rental and not giving up a top prospect I would do it. And I think you a get a player trying to prove he deserves a good next contract. Just a thought
He could score some goals since we have some puck-movers on D and playmaking centers, and it seems like his bread and butter is scoring off the rush, a little like Arvy, just coming in on the other side. It would definitely be a good spot for him as a player, anyway. I still don't see us retaining him long term, but if the price was right on a rental trade - and the rumors of not getting along with PK are indeed bunk - then I'm fine giving up a 2nd+B prospect for him. Just I don't see that being something the Habs would take at this point. They'll play him themselves before it came to that and see if he bounces back and raises his market value. But I would also expect some team out there would offer a 1st+B prospect at this point.

One advantage we might have is that we wouldn't need to ask for any retention or dump back any cap albatrosses in a deal, where other teams closer to the cap are probably trying that. But then the flip side to that is that the Habs can probably make pretty good use of any players like Brassard or Anisimov etc that other teams might try to "dump" back, soooooo...

Ok, no thanks on Pacioretty. I'm content at this point to see what Tolvanen does, and revisit the winger situation next summer if nec. Getting one for "free" as a UFA was one thing, trading from our almost-bare futures cupboard is a lot less appealing.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Crazy idea, but what about Ellis with agreed extension for Trouba? Trouba might take a discount in a better city, while Ellis is still going to a contending team. Saves Winnipeg more cash as well and they get a good ole Canadian boy. Whomever is better is moot at this point, as Trouba has more potential.
So do we let Ellis in on the plan before or after we extend him?

Trouba is a better player and I'd love to have more physicality on the blue line, but so far he also gives off a bit of a me-first vibe as well. Fine, I'd still take the better player. But I don't see how that works logistically. OR wait, is that "Ellis with agreed extension", or "with agreed extension for Trouba"... can't tell... makes all the difference from our side! (Winnipeg still says NO either way... they saw how Ellis played against them!)

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
He could score some goals since we have some puck-movers on D and playmaking centers, and it seems like his bread and butter is scoring off the rush, a little like Arvy, just coming in on the other side. It would definitely be a good spot for him as a player, anyway. I still don't see us retaining him long term, but if the price was right on a rental trade - and the rumors of not getting along with PK are indeed bunk - then I'm fine giving up a 2nd+B prospect for him. Just I don't see that being something the Habs would take at this point. They'll play him themselves before it came to that and see if he bounces back and raises his market value. But I would also expect some team out there would offer a 1st+B prospect at this point.

One advantage we might have is that we wouldn't need to ask for any retention or dump back any cap albatrosses in a deal, where other teams closer to the cap are probably trying that. But then the flip side to that is that the Habs can probably make pretty good use of any players like Brassard or Anisimov etc that other teams might try to "dump" back, soooooo...

Ok, no thanks on Pacioretty. I'm content at this point to see what Tolvanen does, and revisit the winger situation next summer if nec. Getting one for "free" as a UFA was one thing, trading from our almost-bare futures cupboard is a lot less appealing.
Lol talked yourself out of that :)

Reactions: Tex76

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Lol I still think he helps our team more than he hurts it if he and pk can get along. He would be on a show year. Show teams that last year wasnt a fluke year. I could see him getting 30 goals with us. Just my opinion

Last edited:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Would y'all do a Ellis for Ristolainen+ ?
We'd still lose a dman in expansion draft, so I'd rather hang on to Ellis who knows the team and the system. If it wasn't for expansion and for whatever reason Ellis wasn't going to stay in Nashville then I'd consider it.

If we're going to trade a dman it should be for a right winger. Depending on how our young guys do at the camp we could be looking for a stopgap solution for that 2nd pair then tho. Josi made Irwin look like a #4, so basically anyone that only our young guys should be able to compete against for that position would work I suppose. Could that be Hamhuis or do we look for a trade in this scenario? I'd prefer someone with a bit of a grit to be paired with Josi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad