Speculation: Off Season Thread Part II: Wake me up when September ends

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Just read on a Flyers blog that the Preds offered Brandon Manning a three-year contract before he signed with the Hawks on a two-year with higher AAV.

If that's true, Poile is obviously trying to address the third pair and likely at this point is waiting for some of the holdouts to lower their asking price. Maybe we'll sign someone shortly before camp.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Just read on a Flyers blog that the Preds offered Brandon Manning a three-year contract before he signed with the Hawks on a two-year with higher AAV.

If that's true, Poile is obviously trying to address the third pair and likely at this point is waiting for some of the holdouts to lower their asking price. Maybe we'll sign someone shortly before camp.
I like that he was trying to address it. I don't like the idea of Manning for 3 years... at any AAV. Hopefully that anyway bodes well for his ongoing "casual pursuit" of Enstrom or Hamhuis.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That afternoon schmuck on 102.5 said Ellis is pressing for a NMC.
If he was - it would be a total breaking point on the negotiations for me. Honestly, I would let him walk UFA before giving him the NMC. No other player on the team will have it for the Seattle draft, there is ZERO reason to make our #4 D the lone exception.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
If he was - it would be a total breaking point on the negotiations for me. Honestly, I would let him walk UFA before giving him the NMC. No other player on the team will have it for the Seattle draft, there is ZERO reason to make our #4 D the lone exception.

I trade him before it gets to that point.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I appreciate if he would want to stay long haul. But dude, put your money where your mouth is, if so. Take 8x$4M. Something like that. If it's that important. It's not like there won't be alternative options when Seattle rolls around. Josi and Ekholm will have contracts coming up, and Subban not long after. If you make yourself enough of a bargain, and play well enough, it puts you in the running. Look at Jarnkrok vs. Neal. But you have to give big to get that.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I give him a NMC if he takes some serious home town deal for the next 8 years.
I still don't give him a NMC, no matter what, not if he takes a $1M AAV. But when expansion day rolls around, if he's on a sweetheart contract and playing well, it's practically an unofficial NMC... I'll figure out a way to keep him through expansion if it makes good enough sense to.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Friedman is saying the same thing, Ellis will offer a hometown discount for a NMC. I have to assume it's 6M with NMC and 7M without.
To me, that is "See YA Later!"

$6M is pushing it without ANY concessions whatsoever (no clauses, no signing bonus, no advantageous loading, none of it.)

He can walk in the summer if that's for real.

Oh and DP... I sure wishes you had signed that better #5D...

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
To me, that is "See YA Later!"

$6M is pushing it without ANY concessions whatsoever (no clauses, no signing bonus, no advantageous loading, none of it.)

He can walk in the summer if that's for real.

Oh and DP... I sure wishes you had signed that better #5D...

Yeah but he's having trouble signing Fabbro too. If I'm Poile, and I can sign Fabbro or move up Carrier/Allard, I do that and offer Ellis for Kadri,

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah but he's having trouble signing Fabbro too. If I'm Poile, and I can sign Fabbro or move up Carrier/Allard, I do that and offer Ellis for Kadri,
Why do you think he's having trouble signing Fabbro? It seems to me more like it is PERFECT for Fabbro and the Preds both that the kid is staying in college and joining the team in the spring. My looksee says there is no way he is ready for the NHL today. So he gets another year in NCAA, possibly burns an ELC year in a spring cameo, and everybody wins.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Why do you think he's having trouble signing Fabbro? It seems to me more like it is PERFECT for Fabbro and the Preds both that the kid is staying in college and joining the team in the spring. My looksee says there is no way he is ready for the NHL today. So he gets another year in NCAA, possibly burns an ELC year in a spring cameo, and everybody wins.

True, very true. BUT he's going into his Junior year. He could say, 'Screw it. I'll get my degree. Wait one more year and sign anywhere.' Bad move Because he will have a starting spot for minimum for 5 years after the expansion draft.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
True, very true. BUT he's going into his Junior year. He could say, 'Screw it. I'll get my degree. Wait one more year and sign anywhere.' Bad move Because he will have a starting spot for minimum for 5 years after the expansion draft.
Exactly, bad move. He throws away 1-2 years on having an NHL contract, and he's going to get max ELC regardless wherever he goes, whenver he goes. And there is no team in the league that has a better situation for him to walk into... not in terms of making the team, not in terms of potential playoff success. Next lockout is coming up too, does he want to get an extra 1-2 years into his bank account before that or not? If not, sure, he can wait it out. This is not an area of concern for the team. Even if he walked... c'mon, he's not THAT good. The team throws away 1st round picks on Ryan Hartman, after all. He could still be the reincarnation of Jon Blum. It's not something we really need to worry about, even the worst case outcome is not going to cripple us or anything.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Not only that but why wouldn't he wanna come play in our top 4 if we lose Ellis. You honestly get to learn from 2 of the best in the game

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Not only that but why wouldn't he wanna come play in our top 4 if we lose Ellis. You honestly get to learn from 2 of the best in the game

After the college season:

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Subban
J.A.G.-Fabbro

Post Ellis trade:

Josi-Subban
Ekholm-Fabbro
J.A.G.-J.A.G.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Why?? If he will take less money in exchange for the NMC I dont see the problem.

I dont understand the sentiments on here sometimes. I've seen numerous people argue that he should be the Captain over Josi. And yet because he wont jusy bend over and give us a sweetheart deal we should trade him?

I think we are spoiled by the number of seemingly favorable deals Poile has managed to get signed in the last few years and just expect it to happen with every contract.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Why?? If he will take less money in exchange for the NMC I dont see the problem.

I dont understand the sentiments on here sometimes. I've seen numerous people argue that he should be the Captain over Josi. And yet because he wont jusy bend over and give us a sweetheart deal we should trade him?

I think we are spoiled by the number of seemingly favorable deals Poile has managed to get signed in the last few years and just expect it to happen with every contract.

Here's the problem, doc. If he has NMC, he HAS to be protected in the expansion draft leaving Ekholm, Subban, Josi to be protected. That might force Nashville to go 4-4-1 in expansion leaving forwards exposed. Or force a trade of one of the above.

Reactions: Tex76

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
What is the obsession with trading for more centers. We have a #1, a #2a and a true #3 (no matter how badly anyone wants to get down on Bonino's season). Center depth is not the area we need to be spending more assets on.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
What is the obsession with trading for more centers. We have a #1, a #2a and a true #3 (no matter how badly anyone wants to get on Bonino). Center depth is not the area we need to be spending more assets on.

I'm thinking 32 goals and a center can always go to wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad