Off-Season Thread II - Who cares.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yup.

But cap space is awesome and how you win trades. Regardless of what you actually spend it on. So **** it.

They made a play to potentially get a free agent by trading a pick that another team had more value for. The "gamble" didn't work out, and now they have cap space.

Maybe Holland uses it and signs a bunch of bad long-term contracts. Maybe he doesn't. But we didn't need the Datsyuk contract and at the very least gives us wiggle room in some respect. I'm not jumping for joy over it, but I'm not going to go the exact opposite route some others are taking.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Crazy happenings today. Also so much Red Wings hope dashed.

Eric Staal, come on down. You're the next contestant on keep the streak alive!

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I'd rather we burn it down now, tank for Patrick.

Otherwise we're just signing guys to continue the streak and not much more and it'll be a waste of space and a waste of a year.

What a waste. Patrick is considered to be a Reinhart/RNH level center.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not surprised one bit. So Stamkos out of the picture now. Sounds like a D that would be part of a core like Larson would at least cost Larkin or Mrezek. Subban is gone. Anyone a little more in favor of focusing on building a young core now?

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
As always, elite talent just doesn't reach free agency. I suggest offer sheet to Kucherov because Yzerman is too greedy and signs all the players ;)

And I think we can cross out Montreal from the list of good teams. How can you trade Subban for Weber is a mystery to me.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
I'm scared on what Holland will do with the cap space.
Now I wish we didn't trade the Dat's contract.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This will not end well. Best case scenario is that nobody wants to play here. If we strike out on Okposo/Backes/Nielsen/Ladd, you can almost see Holland tossing Eric Staal 6 million over 2 years, or something ridiculous like that.

I also bet wee see Helm resign in Detroit for too much money.

Here's how we spend the cap space:
-Eric Staal 2 years x 6.5
-Darren Helm 4 years x 4
-Some useless 3rd pair D 3 years x 3.5.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Yup.

But cap space is awesome and how you win trades. Regardless of what you actually spend it on. So **** it.

Needless trade that left the Wings with a lesser prospect at a position that badly needs high end talent.

But hey guys, we are gonna sign Matt Martin and now it feels more likely that Darren Helm is gonna come back.

Change!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Really wanted Stamkos in Detroit. Fully expect Holland to sign one of Staal/Backes now. Please don't just bring back Helm long term because you have the money for it now.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
July 1st just turned into a very scary day for Wing fans. Ken Holland with 10+ mill. in free cap space is a scary thing. I don't think I'm prepared

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
plus subban is better than weber. easily.

Yeah, I don't know what Montreal was thinking. Weber is making $8M til he's 39/40, and he's worse than Subban already. Subban is already great and can find a more balanced game as he matures.

Weber is going to be roasted in Montreal in a few years when his game really falls off.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I wanted Stamkos bad. Can't fault him for staying with the only team he's played for but it still sucks.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Terrible news. I'd rather Holland not do anything than go out and sign a jumble of bad contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad