Patriots/NFL Off Season talk - Pats trade for WR DeVante Parker

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not all that surprising given that they’re up against the cap. Needed to get younger and faster at the position

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I could see him back and limited capacity. He seems to fit well and like being here

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Something coming?

I doubt it. I'm guessing they tried to get him to take a paycut and were nice enough to release him now so he has a chance to sign before all the money runs out in general free agency.

I will say that it's the first step in significant LB turnover. I think Hightower, Bentley, and Collins are all likely not back. Feels like there are signs that they'll be going LB early in the draft.

Reactions: The National

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I doubt it. I'm guessing they tried to get him to take a paycut and were nice enough to release him now so he has a chance to sign before all the money runs out in general free agency.

I will say that it's the first step in significant LB turnover. I think Hightower, Bentley, and Collins are all likely not back. Feels like there are signs that they'll be going LB early in the draft.

I'm still really surprised they didn't jump up a few spots and take Micah Parsons last year. He really seemed like a slam dunk pick for them and would definitely fill a need right now.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'm still really surprised they didn't jump up a few spots and take Micah Parsons last year. He really seemed like a slam dunk pick for them and would definitely fill a need right now.

I don't think they would have been able to make the move, whether it was cost-related or disinterested trade partners. I don't think anyone above 10 was interested in trading down, at least more than a couple picks. Dallas only traded down because they knew they could get Parsons at 12. Patriots would have had to give up a 1st+ to move with the Giants, where the difference in value between 11 and 15 is closer to a 3rd. That's the kind of value Belichick wouldn't accept.

What I'm really curious about is the Jets trading ahead of the Patriots for Alijah Vera-Tucker. Did they do it because they thought the Cardinals or Raiders would take him and knew the Patriots would take Jones, or was Belichick actually considering taking him over Jones? The reaction from Patriots fans would have been incredible if that happened.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't think they would have been able to make the move, whether it was cost-related or disinterested trade partners. I don't think anyone above 10 was interested in trading down, at least more than a couple picks. Dallas only traded down because they knew they could get Parsons at 12. Patriots would have had to give up a 1st+ to move with the Giants, where the difference in value between 11 and 15 is closer to a 3rd. That's the kind of value Belichick wouldn't accept.

What I'm really curious about is the Jets trading ahead of the Patriots for Alijah Vera-Tucker. Did they do it because they thought the Cardinals or Raiders would take him and knew the Patriots would take Jones, or was Belichick actually considering taking him over Jones? The reaction from Patriots fans would have been incredible if that happened.

i remember reading that pats were in on Vera-Tucker lol

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

No way would the pats have had to give up an extra 1st to move up from 15 to 11. The bears only did that because they were at #20 and were desperate for the qb. Moving down from 11-15 would've cost their #2 at most....and they probably would've gotten a late pick back.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Scratch Calvin Ridley off the list of Trade Candidates...

Owner bribes coach to throw games: nothing to see here.

Player who isn't even playing bets ON his team to win: "the integrity of the game is at risk. You're suspended for the year."

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Here to remind people roger goodell watched Ray Rice absolutely snuff a girl unconscious and was like “meh two games”

more damaging to the integrity and reputation of the game than anything else

Reactions: Seidenbergy

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
So Dane Brugler from The Athletic put out a mock this morning and I think it's as perfect as it could get for their first two picks. Devin Lloyd at 21 and then John Metchie at 54. Of course, now that it's out there in the universe, it has zero chance of happening and they'll end up going CB/OL for their first two picks.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
In a vacuum gambling on your own sport is laughably unimportant compared to domestic violence or sexual assault. I don't even think that needs to be said.

But players, coaches, and management gambling on their own sport is an existential threat to professional sports whereas all other actual/literal crimes with actual victims are not. Hence why those caught gambling get hammered.

(Please please please don't respond in bad faith. I obviously think the punishments for guys like Ray Rice and Josh Brown should have been far greater unto themselves, without comparing them to anything else. Whereas smoking weed shouldn't even get you a sideways glance. I'm just talking about why gambling is a third rail for professional athletes and why a one-year ban makes sense.)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
In a vacuum gambling on your own sport is laughably unimportant compared to domestic violence or sexual assault. I don't even think that needs to be said.

But players, coaches, and management gambling on their own sport is an existential threat to professional sports whereas all other actual/literal crimes with actual victims are not. Hence why those caught gambling get hammered.

(Please please please don't respond in bad faith. I obviously think the punishments for guys like Ray Rice and Josh Brown should have been far greater unto themselves, without comparing them to anything else. Whereas smoking weed shouldn't even get you a sideways glance. I'm just talking about why gambling is a third rail for professional athletes and why a one-year ban makes sense.)

Pretty much this.

Every player in every sport knows the golden rule is you dont bet on your own sport. Hell, baseball paints it in the clubhouses. They also know the punishment for it is harsh and not "in line" with punishment for crimes that in a vacuum are worse

Reactions: RoccoF14

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Cant wait to hear him cry about not having any help again while ignoring the fact that he takes 25% of the cap space

It's all about the 2022 season for them. This deal will actually free up enough room to bring Adams back for one more kick at the can. The conference is garbage and theirs for the taking.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
And just like that the packers have cemented themselves as non-SB contenders for the foreseeable future

They play in the nfc. Unless rodgers gets injured, they'll likely make the conf championship without breaking much of a sweat.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
They were the one seed and lost at home last year in the divisional round.

Hence the "likely" and not "guaranteed". It was a year of distractions for Rodgers and he still won mvp. He's been hearing the playoff criticisms and will be on a mission this season imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00