Patriots/NFL Off Season talk - Pats trade for WR DeVante Parker

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Here's the rub. He's not the best corner in the league, but you already know how he fits in your scheme and what to expect from his play on the field. Seems to me, that alone is worth a bit of an over payment instead of starting over and hoping you get something close to his level of production in that spot. But hey, I'm not a football genius playing chess when everyone else is playing checkers, so what do I know?

He’s had success replacing corners in the past, but I truly believe JC’s ball hawking abilities are special. Don’t think he’s easily replaced

They don’t seem to be even mildly interested in giving him money though, I wonder if they worry about him being the type to get paid and mail it in.

Reactions: LSCII

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Here's the rub. He's not the best corner in the league, but you already know how he fits in your scheme and what to expect from his play on the field. Seems to me, that alone is worth a bit of an over payment instead of starting over and hoping you get something close to his level of production in that spot. But hey, I'm not a football genius playing chess when everyone else is playing checkers, so what do I know?
That's what I always say when I post about football. :laugh:

Reactions: LSCII

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
He’s had success replacing corners in the past, but I truly believe JC’s ball hawking abilities are special. Don’t think he’s easily replaced

They don’t seem to be even mildly interested in giving him money though, I wonder if they worry about him being the type to get paid and mail it in.
He definitely mailed it in vs the Bills. He got roasted.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
CB is not a position where I worry about the fit in the scheme. It's why Bill has been able to cycle through guys and have so much success. They play a lot of man. It's not complicated by any stretch. They could get a guy in the draft that could contribute immediately year one.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I have been expecting a down year since they got their asses kicked by Buffalo. Bill isn't going to spend top dollar to bring in that elite receiver for Mac, you lost your oc and the mastermind behind the offense now is a guy who used to be a good special teams coach for you but runs qb sneaks on 3rd and 9. The defense will likely lose at least a couple players who played a lot of snaps and you might even lose your best tackle in Brown, Jackson signing with another team and only getting a comp pick in 2023 will sting. Cap space is tight at the moment and they only have 5 picks in this draft.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bedard says they’re targeting a veteran WR in a trade that they’ve tried to get before and that if acquired Agholor would be on his way out

I have a weird feeling they’re looking at Cooks, who would be a pretty ideal fit for the group we currently have. Maybe Michael Thomas.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Bedard says they’re targeting a veteran WR in a trade that they’ve tried to get before and that if acquired Agholor would be on his way out

I have a weird feeling they’re looking at Cooks, who would be a pretty ideal fit for the group we currently have. Maybe Michael Thomas.

It's actually Robby Anderson. I saw it on NESN.com in an excerpt from Bedard's article.

Reactions: CDJ

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Will the Patriots again look to Alabama if they target a linebacker in the NFL Draft? - The Boston Globe

INDIANAPOLIS — The talent pipeline from Tuscaloosa, Ala., to Foxborough, Mass., is as strong as any in the NFL, given the bond between Nick Saban and Bill Belichick.
With a bevy of Crimson Tide prospects at the annual NFL Scouting Combine, there’s a strong chance the list could grow. Linebacker Christian Harris could be at the top, and he’d welcome the opportunity.
“You’ve got [Christian] Barmore up there, Anfernee Jennings. I didn’t get to play with Dont’a Hightower, obviously, but he went to Alabama and they love Alabama players, so that’d be pretty cool,” Harris said Friday.
The speedy 6-foot-2-inch, 232-pounder was a versatile and vital cog in Saban’s defense over the last three seasons, collecting 221 tackles, capped by his three-sack performance in the national championship game. Perhaps most impressive is Harris’s durability. He never missed a game in his college career.

Harris said he met with a couple of New England scouts during the week to “talk ball” and break down some plays.
“We watched film. Everybody wants to know about my knowledge,” Harris said. “They were trying to get to know me as a person, as a player, trying to see where my knowledge was at.”
Harris said he had the same message for all the teams that he met with during the hectic week.
“I want them to know that I’m not just a weak-side linebacker,” he said. “I feel like I’ve definitely developed my knowledge of the game. I don’t just know my position, I know everybody’s spot. I can communicate, I can play fast, I can get guys lined up, and I can be a leader on defense.”

In a bit of surprise, the Patriots had not yet met with fellow Alabama linebacker Christopher Allen, who indicated he met with all the other teams.
Following a dominant 2020 season in which the outside linebacker totaled 13 tackles for loss and a half-dozen sacks, Allen’s 2021 season was cut short by a foot injury suffered in the opener.
He said Tuesday he feels he would have “blown this season out of the water” had he been a full participant.
Alabama’s Pro Day is set for March 30, and it’s likely the Patriots will have a strong presence there — Belichick usually attends — and could check in with Allen and the rest of the draft class then.
Utah’s Devin Lloyd, one of the most highly touted linebacker prospects in the class, also met with the Patriots. Similar to Harris, he said the chat was a combination of personal questions and film recognition. He enjoyed having his brain picked by New England’s inquisitors.
“It was good,” he said. “They’re definitely intense, you know, the questions they ask. You know, they’re very successful year in and year out for a reason.”

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Well bye

53D2BA64-1210-43CA-8634-70F75A64ECA8.jpeg

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Tag him. Get another year out of him or trade him, or trade him during the year.

But my god we're gonna go from Gilmore and Jackson to the 2009-2013 Pats defense in a flash.

(You can show me any stats you want about any Pats defense from those years, and they can point towards the Pats had a good defense, but I was there watching every game and I never trusted any of them to get a stop when they needed it. Zero confidence.)

Reactions: LSCII and Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Tag him. Get another year out of him or trade him, or trade him during the year.

But my god we're gonna go from Gilmore and Jackson to the 2009-2013 Pats defense in a flash.

(You can show me any stats you want about any Pats defense from those years, and they can point towards the Pats had a good defense, but I was there watching every game and I never trusted any of them to get a stop when they needed it. Zero confidence.)

I agree. Tag him or trade him during the year. Heck, trade him at the draft then.

Losing him for nothing is a mistake

Reactions: EverettMike

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Jordan Davis put up some absurd athletic testing numbers for a guy who's 6'6" 340 lbs. No chance he's there at 21.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Patriots might need a cornerback and Washington has two intriguing prospects at the NFL Scouting Combine - The Boston Globe

INDIANAPOLIS — If the Patriots part ways with J.C. Jackson, their need for another cornerback increases tremendously.
Among the potential options are two prospects out of Washington: Trent McDuffie and Kyler Gordon. Both Huskies are expected to be drafted in the first round, with initial mock drafts having McDuffie ahead of Gordon.
Let’s start with McDuffie, who sounds like an ideal fit for the Patriots. He confirmed Saturday he met with team representatives at the NFL Scouting Combine.
“It was cool,” he said. “I mean, Bill Belichick is a ‘DB dude.’ You can see in all their DBs, their defense, that’s a defense that is a lot of fun.”

“I feel I am the most versatile DB in this draft,” he said. “I play like I’m a linebacker. I’m a defender. I can tackle. I love to tackle. I love to be in the mix. I love to be in the box. I used to tell our coaches all the time, ‘Man, put me at safety. Let me just go run the alley. Let me take on these linemen.’ I love to compete.”
McDuffie competed in track and field in high school, running the 100-yard dash as a senior. His best time was 10.82 seconds.
It would not be surprising if McDuffie is already off the board at No. 21 overall, where the Patriots pick, but his teammate, Gordon, is expected to go in New England’s range.
Gordon, whom Washington lists at 6-foot, 200 pounds, is versatile with dynamic athleticism. He plans to participate in all testing except the bench press Sunday, giving NFL evaluators a chance to see his explosiveness in the long jump and speed in the 40-yard dash .

The Patriots already have one Washington defensive back on their roster in Myles Bryant, who signed as an undrafted free agent in 2020. Bryant was teammates with McDuffie and Gordon.
Rounding out the other projected first-round cornerbacks are Cincinnati’s Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner, LSU’s Derek Stingley Jr., and Clemson’s Andrew Booth. Gardner and Stingley Jr. are expected to go within the top 15, while Booth is another possibility for the Patriots at No. 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad