Off-season roster thread #3 -- Post-draft and upcoming Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrefan99

Jun 22, 2014
I am hoping that KA uses his cap space to acquire more assets. I believe the Sabres should be going after Philly or Pitt. I would love it if Jason Zucker or James Van Riemsdyk could be a Sabre for a minute prior to being bought out.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I would love Copp, what would it take to get him here.
more years guaranteed than we should be doling out considering our potential huge log jam on forwards coming, though hed be perfect for like 3 years back at center for us. He will get offered more than 3 though by several teams.

Reactions: elchud

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Don't see any better way to clean up RD than keeping Dahlin there. Would still love to acquire EJ to play on the 3rd pair with Bryson.

And yeah, @DJN21 , that "log jam at forward" is almost guaranteed to be incoming. The type of "problem" that good teams love to solve.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Don't see any better way to clean up RD than keeping Dahlin there. Would still love to acquire EJ to play on the 3rd pair with Bryson.

And yeah, @DJN21 , that "log jam at forward" is almost guaranteed to be incoming. The type of "problem" that good teams love to solve.
Adams is setting up for a lot of possibilities.

He could just let it play out like it did for the Blackhawks or Lightning, and just have ridiculous depth that carries you to longer playoff runs (counted in years of competitiveness).

He could use that depth to make some moves to complete the team, where he's dealing from a lot of depth, and moving some of it won't kill the organization. Murray did this when he didn't have the organizational depth. The Kings made these moves for Carter and Richards when they did have the depth.

Overall, it's a great position to be in.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

??People are struggling to find ways of adding a capable 4c to the roster without the expense of losing a potentially talented player like R2 THIS year and thats with stashing Krebs in Rochester. Now start adding the glut of picks from last year and this year into the influx of guys we wanna see get NHL reps...and thats without making a more meaningful game changing add at forward via free agency or trade (not Copp)...a potential log jam of spots is realistic as is a 40 man roster capacity.

how is overpaying a mid six type player like copp for the 5-6 year contract he will command during the time when we need to re-sign several key young contributors the definition of a problem I'd love to solve? I love Copp the player but he won't be the key cog that puts us over the edge to cup contenders in the next 3 years and the back 3 he will be declining from his already pedestrian offensive impact. He would be a 4C making likely at least 5.5 mill when we really enter our prime and would be an anchor to our salary set up...he's the right player, wrong time. If Copp in year 4 of his contract keeps us from being able to resign a key contributor from our young log jam of forwards i referenced then yes it would be a hindrance.

Reactions: tim212

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
??People are struggling to find ways of adding a capable 4c to the roster without the expense of losing a potentially talented player like R2 THIS year and thats with stashing Krebs in Rochester. Now start adding the glut of picks from last year and this year into the influx of guys we wanna see get NHL reps...and thats without making a more meaningful game changing add at forward via free agency or trade (not Copp)...a potential log jam of spots is realistic as is a 40 man roster capacity.

how is overpaying a mid six type player like copp for the 5-6 year contract he will command during the time when we need to re-sign several key young contributors the definition of a problem I'd love to solve? I love Copp the player but he won't be the key cog that puts us over the edge to cup contenders in the next 3 years and the back 3 he will be declining from his already pedestrian offensive impact. He would be a 4C making likely at least 5.5 mill when we really enter our prime and would be an anchor to our salary set up...he's the right player, wrong time. If Copp in year 4 of his contract keeps us from being able to resign a key contributor from our young log jam of forwards i referenced then yes it would be a hindrance.
Think you misunderstood my post.

I welcome the abundance of forwards, and have zero interest in acquiring Copp, Toews, Kane, etc. Let the kids play, see what we've got, and make moves from a position of strength, as dictated by their development or lack thereof.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Dahlin will be RD and Power and Samuelsson will play 20+ minutes on the left side.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
We’ve been over this. The choice to expose Wasn’t Bjork or Borgen. It was Borgen or three forwards.

If they went to 4 forward, 4 D instead of 7 forward, 3 D they’d have protected Risto, Dahlin, Joker and Borgen on D. Eichel, Reinhart, Olofsson and Mittelstadt at forward.

Instead of Borgen you wouldn’t lose Bjork. Because they’d have taken either Asplund or Thompson. Both had show little to nothing at the time. Because of his draft position and size they likely take Tage Thompson. He surely would have been exposed in this scenario.

no thanks.
Everyone knows the real choice was between Borgen and Risto lol

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Whats the highest you would pay to take Seth Jones from CHI(with retention as that contract is trash)? They are a dumpster fire right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad