Off-season roster thread #3 -- Post-draft and upcoming Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
On Talbot only having one more season left on his contract - we could extend him two more years now if he'd agree to come here and we can make it work with the Wild, right?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Returning back to reality.

The only realistic option I'm seeing right now is one of Hill/Reimer, unless some unknown goalie becomes available. If all goalies with a NTC or have long term contracts are off of the table, that removes Gibson (contract), Varlamov (16 team NTC). We won't overpay for Campbell or Kuemper.

As UFAs go....Comrie and Holtby would be the only realistic guys to look at....and Holtby spurned us once already, not sure what would have been changed for him.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011

The only realistic option I'm seeing right now is one of Hill/Reimer, unless some unknown goalie becomes available. If all goalies with a NTC or have long term contracts are off of the table, that removes Gibson (contract), Varlamov (16 team NTC). We won't overpay for Campbell or Kuemper.

As UFAs go....Comrie and Holtby would be the only realistic guys to look at....and Holtby spurned us once already, not sure what would have been changed for him.
Mackenzie Blackwood with 1 year left and RFA after the year. Devils want to trade him.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Talbot tops my wish list right now. He’s been steady forever. Campbell and Kuemper would be fine additions too but I could see them going to EDM/TOR. I would take Blackwood but wouldn’t give up much because we probably wouldn’t want to block Levi down the road.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I'm just hoping Campbell and/or Kuemper don't get what they want in a long term deal and will just take the most in a short term deal.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Talbot tops my wish list right now. He’s been steady forever. Campbell and Kuemper would be fine additions too but I could see them going to EDM/TOR. I would take Blackwood but wouldn’t give up much because we probably wouldn’t want to block Levi down the road.
If Levi is good enough, nobody is blocking him. Get this thing about blocking prospects out of your head. If they're good, they play. If not, we'd be f***ed if we just waited on them without alternative.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK

Reimer is up there on my list of realistic targets, but he has 5 team NTC.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
If Levi is good enough, nobody is blocking him. Get this thing about blocking prospects out of your head. If they're good, they play. If not, we'd be f***ed if we just waited on them without alternative.
I know that was the thought I’ve had all along, but I’ve been brainwashed by Adams talking about blocking Levi.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Blackwood's age probably works against him with Adams' mindset. Younger player is going to be playing longer and blocking prospects longer point of view. Gets more ridiculous every time I write it. If he's someone they target I hope the do a good look at the person to check he's a fit. Seems like a strong character based on past headlines.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Blocking prospects is code for no long term high cap hit contract

They just want to avoid getting caught with a contract that they have to pay to get rid of

I don't even has much to do with Pegula money. I think he honestly just doesn't want to sign players to exorbitant contracts whom will likely sour and cause the roster to gain road blocks of 6/7mil players, who shouldn't even be playing, blocking youth

Reactions: jc17 and Irie

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
No idea about trade value or even if I would support the moves myself, just thought about a “Murray move“ to speed up the rebuild without really jeopardizing much of the future; IMO.

Trade Mittelstadt, R.Johnson, and two 2nds.
Receive Toews and Kane

Sign Manson and Holtby

Skinner - Thompson - Kane
Krebs - Toews - Tuch
Asplund - Cozens - Olofsson
Girgensons - Malone - Okposo
x: Ruotsalainen, Peterka

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Manson
Bryson - Jokiharju
x: Pilut

UPL
Holtby
Anderson

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
No idea about trade value or even if I would support the moves myself, just thought about a “Murray move“ to speed up the rebuild without really jeopardizing much of the future; IMO.

Trade Mittelstadt, R.Johnson, and two 2nds.
Receive Toews and Kane

Toews isn't nearly the same player he was. And I'd be REAL, REAL hesitant to add those two into what appears to be a very good locker room.

I pass on adding Toews OR Kane.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Toews isn't nearly the same player he was. And I'd be REAL, REAL hesitant to add those two into what appears to be a very good locker room.

I pass on adding Toews OR Kane.
I appreciate the feedback. I’ve not had a lot of interest in adding either as well, but seeing the Blackhawks get dismantled I thought they need a home and what would it look like if the Sabres acquired them to put themselves more into the playoff window starting next season.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I appreciate the feedback. I’ve not had a lot of interest in adding either as well, but seeing the Blackhawks get dismantled I thought they need a home and what would it look like if the Sabres acquired them to put themselves more into the playoff window starting next season.
It is an interesting way to spend 21 million and blow through some assets for two players that most likely would not be here after next year.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
It is an interesting way to spend 21 million and blow through some assets for two players that most likely would not be here after next year.
I don’t care about the money. If fans continue thinking the team is a joke, they’ll lose millions from having empty seats for another season. The trade would get fans and free agents excited about the Sabres again.

The assets are a tough loss, but the forward ranks are getting pretty crowded. Johnson is just as likely to be in The organization past next season as Toews and Kane would be. The 2nds are the biggest loss, but we will still have a pick in each round next season.

If Toews, Kane and Okposo aren’t resigned we’ll have room for Peterka and Savoie in 23-24. While the young players that remain will have gained a lot from their experience with those guys and hopefully the playoff run.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don’t care about the money. If fans continue thinking the team is a joke, they’ll lose millions from having empty seats for another season. The trade would get fans and free agents excited about the Sabres again.

The assets are a tough loss, but the forward ranks are getting pretty crowded. Johnson is just as likely to be in The organization past next season as Toews and Kane would be. The 2nds are the biggest loss, but we will still have a pick in each round next season.

If Toews, Kane and Okposo aren’t resigned we’ll have room for Peterka and Savoie in 23-24. While the young players that remain will have gained a lot from their experience with those guys and hopefully the playoff run.
I don't get how you note the forward ranks are getting crowded and then advocate for making it more crowded by adding another forward.

I get the money is of a lesser concern but it should be noted that ~18 million in cap space rarely gets moved in one deal.

I also wouldn't pencil Toews in at 2c either as I don't know if he can maintain it.

I would rather try to use that 21 million to be aggressive to get an impact player and goaltender while keeping the assets to maybe use in season or at the draft.

I’m just giddy over future line combos.

I’d offer Kuemper 7x3
Kuemper scares the shit outta me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes