Off-season roster thread #3 -- Post-draft and upcoming Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm guessing both Kane and Toews stay in Chicago and then are moved at some point to a contender or contenders. Those teams can't take them now due to salary and I'm sure both those guys are going to want to see who has a legit chance to win before moving their NMCs.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I dunno. Ostlund seems at least the most center-y of the first rounders. I'm not so sure it'd be Krebs in the middle over him.
I give Krebs the edge on all 3 right now. While the NHL is a work in progress, the AHL was not.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I give Krebs the edge on all 3 right now. While the NHL is a work in progress, the AHL was not.
Fair enough. Our center situation will be really interesting to see play out. I only mentioned about Ostlund because Forton basically said he is a center, has everything you want in a center other than perhaps size whereas the other two have the option of playing center. Then again they've been clear in saying they see Krebs as a center long-term. Seems like he and Krebs probably wouldn't be on the same line for that reason as well as they have seemingly similar games.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I dunno. Ostlund seems at least the most center-y of the first rounders. I'm not so sure it'd be Krebs in the middle over him.
Appert has repeatedly said Krebs is a center in the Sabres organization. Can change of course.

Ostlund is clearly not a fourth winger, maybe he is our future 1C/2C.
Savoie reminds me of Zegras, but I know you might want to play him on the wing to protect his size a bit.

Not any way Mitts is here in 2-3 years though after this draft.

wait until you see the other options
When Comrie starts looking like a good option you know were in deep shit, AGAIN!

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Savoie reminds me of Zegras, but I know you might want to play him on the wing to protect his size a bit.

Not any way Mitts is here in 2-3 years though after this draft.
Savoie reminds me of many elite players, he has so many tools and is very competitive. As he said, it doesn't matter for him where to play in the center or on the wing.

Well, I don't know what will happen in 2-3 years, if Mitts can have a good season without injuries, who knows.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
We need to sign at least 4 and maybe more depth dmen.

Rochester has maybe Casey Fitzergald, maybe Oksari Laaksonen, and nothing else from the NHL depth chart.
Lakksonen was healthy scratch for all playoff games other than 2. Having Pilut back will help if it happens. KA did not sound like Johnson was coming out, so ugh, yah.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Lakksonen was healthy scratch for all playoff games other than 2. Having Pilut back will help if it happens. KA did not sound like Johnson was coming out, so ugh, yah.
Adams sounds like he has no idea with johnson because Johnson hasn’t told him anything still. including that he’s actually going back to college. He’s never said that either,

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I'm not expecting any big free agent moves.

I hope they keep Krebs and Fitzgerald in Rochester to start the season. Its best for both of their long term development. Both Tage and Mitts spent extra time in Rochester after making the Sabres roster, and it benefitted both of them. There is a chance Fitz would get waiver claimed but its a very small chance. Better young defenseman clear waivers all the time.

We lack a bottom 6 center, so get a young one like Nico Sturm. We lack a veteran defenseman and there are several free agent RH options there. This shouldn't be difficult. 9 million bucks, at most, to fill three holes (C, RHD, G).

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
The goalie market is rapidly shrinking and FA hasn't even started yet.

Great draft....
But I'm getting more and more worried we're starting the year with UPL and Mr. Anderson again.
I honestly expected this, we are not gonna overpay for a goalie with cap or assets simply because, even though we look promising, aren't in a position to go all in. If we got a goalie that could steal games were gonna be in limbo barely making the playoffs. I'm not saying don't compete or try to land a goalie but looking at the market chances are slim that a goalie would come here especially since they'd rather go to an established contender. I think adams has a timeline and it coincides with going in after the 23 season(next year).

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Sorry but I'm not going to hold the inaction of a 22 year old against the presumably much wiser, more aware, and more mature 34 year old version of himself.

Someday maybe people will let others learn from their mistakes and forgive. Obviously that's not today.
Honestly (correct me if i'm wrong) didn't he join in on berating his teammate if so captain serious could seriously sit on a 8x8 cactus

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
How do you think Skinner’s team mates feel about him and his $9mil aav?
Different regime changes the optics.

Moving forward, Adams is going to likely have cap issues in a few years.

A good GM keeps salaries in check to manage the cap as best he can.

You honestly can't do that if you are overpaying UFAs. If you are giving top dollar to average UFAs, your RFAs are going to expect the same, and rightly so.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Adams sounds like he has no idea with johnson because Johnson hasn’t told him anything still. including that he’s actually going back to college. He’s never said that either,
the last presser in Montreal he said he still expects him to go back to school, but they will talk again after prospects camp

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
the last presser in Montreal he said he still expects him to go back to school, but they will talk again after prospects camp
listen to it again

That was Portillo.

he said Portillo told him he was going back to school but will be in dev camp and he doesn’t expect that to change.

on Johnson he said they had a meeting in Montreal and decided to talk about it after dev camp and have the next discussion whether he takes the next step and turns pro or goes back to school we’ll see.

youre mixing up the two

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Pilut's in that sensitive Ruotsalainen area where I don't know if they'll go to Roch.

We did the AHL contract thing last year, and you and I both know Rochester's runaway weakness was the defense.

I'm in no hurry to watch:
Josh TevesNick Boka
Peter TischkeMitch Eliot
Mark AltOskari Laaksonen

again.

Part of it was also that Davidson and Samuelsson were out injured and both Prow and Schuldt were banged up. Of the NHL contracts only one is in that list (Laaksonen). Where they could use an improvement is in terms of production and stability from the three contracts that were Schuldt, Prow, and Davidson. Prow likely gets at least some interest from teams as a RHD who showed he can be an 8/9.

Teves faded hard as the season wore on. I like Boka as an AHL deal to stash in the ECHL and on occasion keep around for teams that need an old school dose of STFU. Tischke is an AHL defenseman. Alt... same but it's probably pick one of the other.

I gotta think players understand the difference between RFA earning power and UFA earning power.

I've never yet heard an NHL player off the ice complain about one of his peers getting paid. Ever. The only time is on-ice chirps and those go both ways.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think rumors are that Pilut is willing to sign a two-way contract. If that’s true, assuming he clears waivers, it sounds like he would accept an AHL assignment.

Hopefully we’ll be able to sign Ryan Johnson after development camp. There is two LHD for you. *fingers crossed*

I feel like if they don’t hold onto Fitz as a top 6 D or, even better, 7th D, he’ll be claimed. So many teams would love to hold a roster spot for a tough, younger, cheap RHD.

We could definitely use some Mark Jankowski style D in Rochester to fill out their depth and give Buffalo some better call-up options.

I would expect him to clear. He didn't set the KHL alight when he was there. Outside of the Flyers analytics people pulling the small sample size he had when paired with Risto and thinking "Eureka! We've found a cure!!", almost every team has a similar player or two.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Part of it was also that Davidson and Samuelsson were out injured and both Prow and Schuldt were banged up. Of the NHL contracts only one is in that list (Laaksonen). Where they could use an improvement is in terms of production and stability from the three contracts that were Schuldt, Prow, and Davidson. Prow likely gets at least some interest from teams as a RHD who showed he can be an 8/9.

Teves faded hard as the season wore on. I like Boka as an AHL deal to stash in the ECHL and on occasion keep around for teams that need an old school dose of STFU. Tischke is an AHL defenseman. Alt... same but it's probably pick one of the other.

I've never yet heard an NHL player off the ice complain about one of his peers getting paid. Ever. The only time is on-ice chirps and those go both ways.

If I remember correctly, the Leino and Ehrhoff contacts (but particularly Leino’s) pissed many of the vets off at the time. Who knows how accurate that report was, but if I was Derek Roy getting paid 4 million/year and producing close to #1 Center numbers… and along comes Leino… Yeah.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If I remember correctly, the Leino and Ehrhoff contacts (but particularly Leino’s) pissed many of the vets off at the time. Who knows how accurate that report was, but if I was Derek Roy getting paid 4 million/year and producing close to #1 Center numbers… and along comes Leino… Yeah.

Different times - the BTG era team had gone through seeing good players price themselves off the team for a decade. They had all been through seeing Drury and Briere walk, Campbell being traded... heck even well-liked guys like Grier and Zubrus just not welcomed back by Regier. Breaking the seal on spending on UFA's into a less than strong room, I can see how it would sour dudes.

Reactions: Irving Zisman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad