Off-season roster thread #3 -- Post-draft and upcoming Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I would expect him to clear. He didn't set the KHL alight when he was there. Outside of the Flyers analytics people pulling the small sample size he had when paired with Risto and thinking "Eureka! We've found a cure!!", almost every team has a similar player or two.
Agreed. Just saying it’s not a given he’ll be in Rochester because he has to clear. But I assume he would.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
No interest in Toews or Kane.

100% agree. I'd consider signing Kane as a UFA if the term & money was reasonable and he really wanted to play here, but I'm not trading assets for him. We're not there yet. But I suspect another team is going to throw huge money at him when he's a UFA and I'm fine with that.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I really like what Adams is doing.

This is what the Sabres organizational depth chart should’ve looked like under Murray. Except he hemorrhaged draft picks trading for Kane, Lehner, and Fasching, as well as moving Pysyk and McNabb, and missing on the second day of 2014.

I’m good with the occasional ROR type trade because you get real value and don’t destroy the organization.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I really like what Adams is doing.

This is what the Sabres organizational depth chart should’ve looked like under Murray. Except he hemorrhaged draft picks trading for Kane, Lehner, and Fasching, as well as moving Pysyk and McNabb, and missing on the second day of 2014.

I’m good with the occasional ROR type trade because you get real value and don’t destroy the organization.
Incorrect

look at what was here before Adams took over vs what Murray had Coming in.

both traded away veterans in deals for youngsters and picks.

Lehner was to have a goalie. Thry woukd have picked Samsonov with the pick if no trade.

Kane was a late 1st and Armia, Stafford,and Lemieux. Guess we would have made playoffs with thst.

the 2 2nd was a hold for future prospecting the Regher trade at last second

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Assuming Ryan Johnson doesn’t want to sign here, what about Johnson for Reimer and a 4th? Hard to believe he wouldn’t sign for a California team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So I take it our crack local sports teams have not yet found out if Buffalo has qualified everyone today?

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Sabremetrix posted an organizational depth chart today and our organization is stacked in prospects and players at every position except RHD. Just think where we’re going to be at after next draft with 4 picks in the top 64. Use two of those on some dmen and we’re going to be loaded everywhere.

The competition for forward spots is going to be insane. We may literally ice a roster in Rochester with almost three forward lines of prospects with NHL potential at some point. I was excited by guys like Bloom and Nadeau and it’s insane that there is so many prospects you can rank ahead of them now. Before Murray traded away a bunch of our picks in 2015 I was curious about what a Sabres organization built through the draft would look like.

Edit - I see the chart was posted before me and I duplicated a couple points already brought up

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Can Stralman still play? Is he a possibility in terms of veteran RD?

His fancies have been trending in the wrong direction for a while, both last year in Florida and this year in Arizona. Both Miller and Pysyk had better defensive stats at a casual glance. So... yeah. Not great.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Sometimes I wonder *what if* Adams wasn't worried about saving face on that Hall trade, and had exposed Bjork.

Watching all of Borgen's games in Seattle, I often wish he were still in Buffalo. After Giordano was traded, he had 6 points in his last 16 games, He's arguably their best skater on the blueline, has a ridiculously quick first step for his size, plays solid D in open ice, walks the blue line well and is good at getting his shot through traffic, and is really smart about choosing his spots to activate from the blueline, and... he plays with an edge and will drop the gloves in a heartbeat to protect his teammates.

He's still really green and full of nerves, (playing infrequently was the cause for that i think), but I can't help but wonder how much potential the kid would have learning from Granato instead of Hakstol, who barely played the kid and seems to have stunted the development of all the young players in Seattle.

If Seattle adds a D via free agency, I would not mind spending some draft capital to bring him back. I think he'd be a solid upgrade on Fitzgerald and I feel there is still a lot of untapped potential there.

Reactions: DJN21

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Sometimes I wonder *what if* Adams wasn't worried about saving face on that Hall trade, and had exposed Bjork.

Watching all of Borgen's games in Seattle, I often wish he were still in Buffalo. After Giordano was traded, he had 6 points in his last 16 games, He's arguably their best skater on the blueline, has a ridiculously quick first step for his size, plays solid D in open ice, walks the blue line well and is good at getting his shot through traffic, and is really smart about choosing his spots to activate from the blueline, and... he plays with an edge and will drop the gloves in a heartbeat to protect his teammates.

He's still really green and full of nerves, (playing infrequently was the cause for that i think), but I can't help but wonder how much potential the kid would have learning from Granato instead of Hakstol, who barely played the kid and seems to have stunted the development of all the young players in Seattle.

If Seattle adds a D via free agency, I would not mind spending some draft capital to bring him back. I think he'd be a solid upgrade on Fitzgerald and I feel there is still a lot of untapped potential there.
We’ve been over this. The choice to expose Wasn’t Bjork or Borgen. It was Borgen or three forwards.

If they went to 4 forward, 4 D instead of 7 forward, 3 D they’d have protected Risto, Dahlin, Joker and Borgen on D. Eichel, Reinhart, Olofsson and Mittelstadt at forward.

Instead of Borgen you wouldn’t lose Bjork. Because they’d have taken either Asplund or Thompson. Both had show little to nothing at the time. Because of his draft position and size they likely take Tage Thompson. He surely would have been exposed in this scenario.

no thanks.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
We’ve been over this. The choice to expose Wasn’t Bjork or Borgen. It was Borgen or three forwards.

If they went to 4 forward, 4 D instead of 7 forward, 3 D they’d have protected Risto, Dahlin, Joker and Borgen on D. Eichel, Reinhart, Olofsson and Mittelstadt at forward.

Instead of Borgen you wouldn’t lose Bjork. Because they’d have taken either Asplund or Thompson. Both had show little to nothing at the time. Because of his draft position and size they likely take Tage Thompson. He surely would have been exposed in this scenario.

no thanks.

You're right, and it has been a while, so I was not thinking properly - I am old and forgetful ;)

But watching Borgen, and can't help but feel that he would be a really good fit on that third pairing as a RHD. He came into camp last year and impressed me a lot more than he did in his few games at the end of 2021.

I blame Botts. I am sure he was the reason Seattle picked Borgen, and Borgen was just wasted on Seattle with them carrying 8 D all season.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Assuming $4.75M per or thereabouts for Olofsson (using the Arvidsson comp someone suggested combined with Evolving Hockey's numbers), we still need about $4.6M to hit the floor, with 3 roster spots remaining assuming they keep Bjork up.

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Peterka - Mittelstadt - Quinn
Krebs - Cozens - Olofsson
Girgensons - Asplund - Okposo
x Bjork, XXX

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - XXX
Bryson - Jokiharju
Fitzgerald

XXX - Anderson

Buyout: Hodgson
IR: Bishop

Cap Hit: $56,651,667

Of course, they could add a 7th D to put Fitzgerald in Roch who may make a little more than him, but it wouldn't change the numbers too much.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was the one pushing the Arvidsson percentage of cap as the high end for an Olofsson deal. I don't think he's as good as 5.67% (which for $82.5M is 4,677,750 AAV) but it should be the top end for negotiations.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I was the one pushing the Arvidsson percentage of cap as the high end for an Olofsson deal. I don't think he's as good as 5.67% (which for $82.5M is 4,677,750 AAV) but it should be the top end for negotiations.
I thought it was you but I didn't want to be wrong. Evolving Hockey has him at $4.95M on a 4-year deal, so I more or less split the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad