Off-season roster thread #3 -- Post-draft and upcoming Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I don't get how you note the forward ranks are getting crowded and then advocate for making it more crowded by adding another forward.

I get the money is of a lesser concern but it should be noted that ~18 million in cap space rarely gets moved in one deal.

I also wouldn't pencil Toews in at 2c either as I don't know if he can maintain it.

I would rather try to use that 21 million to be aggressive to get an impact player and goaltender while keeping the assets to maybe use in season or at the draft.
I get the supposed hypocrisy of the forward situation, but it’s only for one season like you said. In 23-24 something’s got to give and Mittelstadt I feel is one of the more likely to be out of chances. If that’s the case, his value will be far diminished from what it is right now.

You couldn’t get Murray to waive his no trade clause to be a cap dump. Who are you going to get to take your 21 million for just 1 season; maybe two? Especially without a move like the one made for Toews and Kane to show the team is serious about winning? And if you upgrade the forward ranks, you will just have to move out someone like a Mittelstadt anyway.

I don’t even mean to argue my case. Like I said, I’m not sure I would support the move either, but I wanted to play it out.

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
I get the supposed hypocrisy of the forward situation, but it’s only for one season like you said. In 23-24 something’s got to give and Mittelstadt I feel is one of the more likely to be out of chances. If that’s the case, his value will be far diminished from what it is right now.

You couldn’t get Murray to waive his no trade clause to be a cap dump. Who are you going to get to take your 21 million for just 1 season; maybe two? Especially without a move like the one made for Toews and Kane to show the team is serious about winning? And if you upgrade the forward ranks, you will just have to move out someone like a Mittelstadt anyway.

I don’t even mean to argue my case. Like I said, I’m not sure I would support the move either, but I wanted to play it out.
Toews is not *nearly* worth his cap hit at this point. I expect he'll play out his contract and Chicago will re-sign him to be a veteran role-model through the rebuild.

Kane is still excellent, and will almost certainly be traded to a contender sometime between now and the trade deadline. If the Sabres are in it in February...sure, pull the trigger if the price is right. But barring a big step forward, the best time for a Kane acquisition is next summer via UFA.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I’d offer Kuemper 7x3
One thing to think about - say Kuemper becomes an average or slightly below average 1B goalie for the Sabres and you are paying him 7M a year.

What is Thompson going to think when he scores 37 goals and Adams offers him less than 7M?

Slighted, is what.

Free spending with UFA contracts screws up the teams internal cap structure and sets a dangerous future precedence. Something Adams hopefully is factoring in when considering where to throw money.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
One thing to think about - say Kuemper becomes an average or slightly below average 1B goalie for the Sabres and you are paying him 7M a year.

What is Thompson going to think when he scores 37 goals and Adams offers him less than 7M?

Slighted, is what.

Free spending with UFA contracts screws up the teams internal cap structure and sets a dangerous future precedence. Something Adams hopefully is factoring in when considering where to throw money.
How do you think Skinner’s team mates feel about him and his $9mil aav?

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
No idea about trade value or even if I would support the moves myself, just thought about a “Murray move“ to speed up the rebuild without really jeopardizing much of the future; IMO.

Trade Mittelstadt, R.Johnson, and two 2nds.
Receive Toews and Kane

Sign Manson and Holtby

Skinner - Thompson - Kane
Krebs - Toews - Tuch
Asplund - Cozens - Olofsson
Girgensons - Malone - Okposo
x: Ruotsalainen, Peterka

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Manson
Bryson - Jokiharju
x: Pilut

UPL
Holtby
Anderson
Yeah I'm all for something like that. Won't be popular here though.

I was rewatching the 2019 draft the other day, and Jack Hughes talked for a while about how Patrick Kane was such a great mentor for him at (I think) the World Championships. I don't know him personally obviously, but Kane seems to have turned a corner from his past shortcomings. And Toews would be a great veteran addition to the room.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Toews isn't nearly the same player he was. And I'd be REAL, REAL hesitant to add those two into what appears to be a very good locker room.

I pass on adding Toews OR Kane.

I appreciate the feedback. I’ve not had a lot of interest in adding either as well, but seeing the Blackhawks get dismantled I thought they need a home and what would it look like if the Sabres acquired them to put themselves more into the playoff window starting next season.

Yeah, not real keen on Toews from his on-ice erosion to the stuff around the Beach sexual abuse. Like, not keen on stepping on lava. Or not keen on rolling in kerosene and striking a match not keen.

As for Kane, I've expressed my opinion repeatedly but outside of his lack of maturity around town in his Cup years, why would they be paying the trade premium now to acquire him from the Hawks? Without the hometown ties, is there really a drive to add a potential UFA-to-be to THIS Sabre lineup that isn't a goalie?

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah…captain stay silent in that Chicago sexual abuse can stay the f*** away from our kids.
Sorry but I'm not going to hold the inaction of a 22 year old against the presumably much wiser, more aware, and more mature 34 year old version of himself.

Someday maybe people will let others learn from their mistakes and forgive. Obviously that's not today.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sorry but I'm not going to hold the inaction of a 22 year old against the presumably much wiser, more aware, and more mature 34 year old version of himself.

Someday maybe people will let others learn from their mistakes and forgive. Obviously that's not today.

Given his comments when it all came out in the open, it didn't sound like he's learned much.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

he didn’t say anything for how long?

he handled it how as a full grown man when it was brought to light?

did he age at any time?

sorry my forgiveness level for that situation isn’t as quick as yours. Sorry you think that makes me the one of us who is wrong. Very very sorry.

There’s teaching how to win and there’s teaching how to be a winner. Toews may have captained a lot of winning…but he’s a f***ing loser.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
How do you think Skinner’s team mates feel about him and his $9mil aav?
It wouldn’t have any relevance to the point @Irie is making. Botts signed him not Adams. The point being made is specifically about Adams handling free agents and in house guys differently. It could lead to issues.

I don’t know if that would play out that way but its certainly possible. Botts signing to Skinner to that deal doesn’t factor into that debate.

Reactions: Irie and jc17

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
No idea about trade value or even if I would support the moves myself, just thought about a “Murray move“ to speed up the rebuild without really jeopardizing much of the future; IMO.

Trade Mittelstadt, R.Johnson, and two 2nds.
Receive Toews and Kane

Sign Manson and Holtby

Skinner - Thompson - Kane
Krebs - Toews - Tuch
Asplund - Cozens - Olofsson
Girgensons - Malone - Okposo
x: Ruotsalainen, Peterka

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Manson
Bryson - Jokiharju
x: Pilut

UPL
Holtby
Anderson
The Toews/Kane part doesn’t work for a variety of reasons.

1) I very much doubt either would waive their NMC to come here.

2) Adding players like that with only one year left is a type of move you make when you’re loading up for a deep playoff run. We’re not close to that level and they wouldn’t put us there.

3) Mitts is viewed by several people in the organization as the guy they feel will have a break out year. Whether you agree with that or not, I don’t see them wanting to part with him at the moment.

There are other reasons mentioned by @Ace and others but I think the hockey reasons above are enough to nix the idea.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
We need to sign at least 4 and maybe more depth dmen.

Rochester has maybe Casey Fitzergald, maybe Oksari Laaksonen, and nothing else from the NHL depth chart.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Other than goalie the one thing I want is for a veteran RHD to be signed. Fitzgerald looked so good down in Rochester at the end of the year I kind of desperately need him to start down there. He has a chance. If they do it right and he starts dominating down there I believe he can make it as a good third pair D in the nhl. I want him to get that time and show it.

Bryson can stay up. I don’t have the same belief in him in the future.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
A couple of AHL contracts would work as well. If things break in their favor, they may have Pilut added to that mix.
I think Pilut's in that sensitive Ruotsalainen area where I don't know if they'll go to Roch.

We did the AHL contract thing last year, and you and I both know Rochester's runaway weakness was the defense.

I'm in no hurry to watch:
Josh TevesNick Boka
Peter TischkeMitch Eliot
Mark AltOskari Laaksonen

again.

Reactions: 7zark7 and elchud

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I think Pilut's in that sensitive Ruotsalainen area where I don't know if they'll go to Roch.

We did the AHL contract thing last year, and you and I both know Rochester's runaway weakness was the defense.

I'm in no hurry to watch:
Josh TevesNick Boka
Peter TischkeMitch Eliot
Mark AltOskari Laaksonen

again.
I think rumors are that Pilut is willing to sign a two-way contract. If that’s true, assuming he clears waivers, it sounds like he would accept an AHL assignment.

Hopefully we’ll be able to sign Ryan Johnson after development camp. There is two LHD for you. *fingers crossed*

I feel like if they don’t hold onto Fitz as a top 6 D or, even better, 7th D, he’ll be claimed. So many teams would love to hold a roster spot for a tough, younger, cheap RHD.

We could definitely use some Mark Jankowski style D in Rochester to fill out their depth and give Buffalo some better call-up options.

Reactions: Jacob582 and elchud

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Yeah, not real keen on Toews from his on-ice erosion to the stuff around the Beach sexual abuse. Like, not keen on stepping on lava. Or not keen on rolling in kerosene and striking a match not keen.

As for Kane, I've expressed my opinion repeatedly but outside of his lack of maturity around town in his Cup years, why would they be paying the trade premium now to acquire him from the Hawks? Without the hometown ties, is there really a drive to add a potential UFA-to-be to THIS Sabre lineup that isn't a goalie?

As usual I agree with Chains assessment, just putting my own flavor text on this :P

Toews has fallen off a cliff, and even if Chicago retained 50% on his deal, I still don't think he's got any value. I'd rather go after a non tendered Dylan Strome. In addition, he wants to win, so he'll end up going somewhere mid August.

I love Pat Kane, I just don't see the sense in sending rebuilding pieces to a rebuilder, when we're in a slightly more advanced place. Kane, doesn't guarantee the playoffs. If the Sabres were one piece away from making that happen, I'd happily pay the $$.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
We need to sign at least 4 and maybe more depth dmen.

Rochester has maybe Casey Fitzergald, maybe Oksari Laaksonen, and nothing else from the NHL depth chart.

I think there will be some minor trades for guys who don't fit. But, I agree, there isn't a ton of young depth in Rochester. I imagine, Pilut re-signs and starts in Rochester, so you're potentially up to Laaksonen, Fitzgerald, Pilut, _______, ________, ____________. We'll see though, there's still plenty of time. There's still the remaining buy outs, non tenders, and potential waiver claims.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
i wouldn’t out your three best passers on one line while leaving all your shooters to fend for themselves on other but that might be just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad