Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
The Blue Jays have the best minor league and spring training facility(s) then anyone in baseball. They are definitely doing things right. Giving their players every opportunity to be better only helps their efforts of building a sustainable winner.

On that note are we also the only organization that has increased the minor leaguers wages

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
MLB spring training: Four young players, including Gavin Lux and Jo Adell, with something to prove in 2021

Best free-agent signing
R.J. Anderson: George Springer, Blue Jays. Let's not overthink this. In Springer, the Blue Jays landed the top player in the class. He gives them another All-Star-caliber position player, one who can play a premium position and who (by all accounts) is a good clubhouse type. What more can you want?

Matt Snyder: Springer. The Blue Jays showed last season they were making good on their up-and-coming status and adding a veteran with a huge postseason resume to the top of their order only further solidifies their status as a contender. The offense has the makings of a powerhouse and it'll all start with Springer Dingers at the top.

Mike Axisa: I agree it's Springer. With a normal 10-team postseason this year, he's the kind of high-impact player who pushes the Blue Jays from bubble team to a favorite for a postseason spot, I think. Their center field situation has not been great the last few years and now Toronto has arguably the best non-Mike Trout center fielder in the sport. Springer is a substantial upgrade at an important up the middle position. No need to overthink it. He's my answer.

Katherine Acquavella: George Springer. It's a serious upgrade for Toronto, and gives the Jays one of the top offenses heading into the 2021 season. Beyond that though, I think Springer's going to be a good fit with the young squad bringing with him experience after seven years in the big leagues. He was already part of a youth movement while with Houston, so this should serve as a somewhat familiar scenario for him.

Now, that's not to say, that his involvement in the Astros sign-stealing scandal is forgotten, but he's still a well-above average hitter and should have the chance to help lead Bo Bichette, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and the rest of the young Jays group to another postseason spot. The Springer addition is going to play a big role as Toronto tries to move from a talented but developing ball club to a contending one.
Best under-the-radar move
Dayn Perry: Marcus Semien. I think his underlying indicators at the plate suggest a bounce-back season in 2021, and I also like his chances to stand out defensively after the move from shortstop to second base.

Mike Axisa: I'll go with another Blue Jays signing: Kirby Yates at one year and $5.5 million. He was very bad last year (six runs in 4 1/3 innings) and is coming off elbow surgery to remove bone spurs, but I'm bullish on a bounceback. Surgery to remove bone spurs is not like surgery to repair a ligament. It's a fairly common procedure and there are guys around the league who have bone spurs taken out of their elbow each offseason and return with no ill-effects. When healthy, Yates has been an elite closer, and I think he'll be that guy again in 2021. Getting him at that price when other relievers like Pedro Baez (two years and $12.5 million), Brad Hand (one year and $10.5 million), and Alex Colome (one year and $6.25 million) all received more is a pretty nifty move.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Tellez far better 1st baseman than THE VLADDER MAN

IF HE STARTS AT first jays not putting their best line up on the field
Ya I prefer Tellez at 1B too. And the lefty bat. Put Vladdy at DH.

3B Biggio
CF Springer
SS Bichette
RF Hernandez
DH Guerrero
2B Semien
1B Tellez
LF Gurriel
C Jansen

bench: Grichuk, Kirk, Espinal, Panik

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Ya I prefer Tellez at 1B too. And the lefty bat. Put Vladdy at DH.

3B Biggio
CF Springer
SS Bichette
RF Hernandez
DH Guerrero
2B Semien
1B Tellez
LF Gurriel
C Jansen

bench: Grichuk, Kirk, Espinal, Panik

Vladdy will not be DH, he will be the everyday 1st baseman. You do not put a 22 year old that has shown commitment to get into shape as your fulltime DH. That is a great way piss off your stars rather quickly. Lots of Tellez types in MLB, not to many Vladdy's!!!!

Plus with the shape Vladdy has come in with, his flexibility at 1st will be much better and I would rather have someone like him playing first then Tellez with his experience at 3B. His reactions and fielding plays much better at 1B then 3B and experience at 3B only makes him a better 1B.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Vladdy will not be DH, he will be the everyday 1st baseman. You do not put a 22 year old that has shown commitment to get into shape as your fulltime DH. That is a great way piss off your stars rather quickly. Lots of Tellez types in MLB, not to many Vladdy's!!!!

Plus with the shape Vladdy has come in with, his flexibility at 1st will be much better and I would rather have someone like him playing first then Tellez with his experience at 3B. His reactions and fielding plays much better at 1B then 3B and experience at 3B only makes him a better 1B.

his fielding is not up to major league standers at either position Doctor Strange Glove

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
his fielding is not up to major league standers at either position Doctor Strange Glove

If your stating that his glove is worst then Tellez then you havent been watching much Blue Jays baseball.

Tellez isnt even an average 1B defensively. There is more upside to Vladdy there then Tellez.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Milone had a strong stint with the O’s last year. Can’t hurt to add him to see if he can do it again.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Shapiro was on overdrive. Little disappointed no one asked him if the Jays were still talking trade or to free agents.

Reactions: smitty10

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Thank you Kendrys Morales and Dwight Smith.

Using the IFA money acquired in trade for Morales and Smith, the Jays signed Yosver Zulueta, Jiorgeny Casimiri and Sem Robberse. Both Zulueta and Robberse have received great reviews so far.

Hard to believe that the Jays handling or perhaps mishandling, (depending who you ask), resulted in Pearson (comp pick for Edwin) and Gurriel (agreed to sign with the Jays because the Jays signed Morales) and now potentially these 3 prospects.

If one or more of Zulueta, Casimiri and Robberse hit along with Pearson and Gurriel - the handling of Morales and Edwin will be seen as a watershed moment for this front office.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Vlad will DH this year occasionally, but he legitimately put in work this offseason. I expect he starts 75 percent of the games this year at one of the corner. Hes much more agile, he will be improved in the field I believe. Really hoping this is the year he breaks out. If hes half in shape and can fix his launch angle, you solved his two biggest issues.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Pretty awesome stuff. But the disparity between the Majors and Minors locker rooms is hilarious.

There's also a "Discipline Room", which raises questions.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Vlad will DH this year occasionally, but he legitimately put in work this offseason. I expect he starts 75 percent of the games this year at one of the corner. Hes much more agile, he will be improved in the field I believe. Really hoping this is the year he breaks out. If hes half in shape and can fix his launch angle, you solved his two biggest issues.

This is how I envision things transpiring for Vladdy. A little 3rd, More 1st and a little DH. If health allows it, you will see him break out in a big way this year playing in about 145 games this year in some capacity.

Reactions: saska sault

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Pretty awesome stuff. But the disparity between the Majors and Minors locker rooms is hilarious.

There's also a "Discipline Room", which raises questions.

4cuTDPR.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad