Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Haha, well normally I'd believe Fangraphs but there's been a handful of mentions here over the offseason about Davis being out of options, and I think I recall Fangraphs being wrong on number of options before. Was curious if you had info from another website or not.

Haha, no, I didn't see it anywhere else... I was going completely off memory, which is rarely a smart move. I think Bjindaho nailed it... based on when he was added to the 40-man, he should have one left.

So I guess the only difference that makes is that they could go with either Davis or Palacios as a 5th OF and option the other. Davis has the defensive advantage, but I like that Palacios is a left-handed bat who at least can play CF.

Although, really, there are a ton of options the way the roster is constructed. They could keep all three catchers around with Jansen/Kirk splitting time at C and DH while McGuire just plays here and there, they could option both Davis and Palacios and keep Espinal and Panik for their positional versatility... it would be really nice to see them make this decision based on who earns the spots over the next month, but chances are it's McGuire, Davis, and Panik on the team with Kirk, Espinal, and Palacios in Buffalo.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Why does this name ring a bell? I feel like people were talking about him a lot before the 2019 Rule 5 draft.

He is a power pitcher with a fastball that hits 97-98 and has a nasty curve. He is 6"3.

He's known to be a strikeout pitcher will 11 strikeouts per 9 innings. He has the potential to be another back of the bullpen pitcher.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Haha, no, I didn't see it anywhere else... I was going completely off memory, which is rarely a smart move. I think Bjindaho nailed it... based on when he was added to the 40-man, he should have one left.

So I guess the only difference that makes is that they could go with either Davis or Palacios as a 5th OF and option the other. Davis has the defensive advantage, but I like that Palacios is a left-handed bat who at least can play CF.

Although, really, there are a ton of options the way the roster is constructed. They could keep all three catchers around with Jansen/Kirk splitting time at C and DH while McGuire just plays here and there, they could option both Davis and Palacios and keep Espinal and Panik for their positional versatility... it would be really nice to see them make this decision based on who earns the spots over the next month, but chances are it's McGuire, Davis, and Panik on the team with Kirk, Espinal, and Palacios in Buffalo.

I expect the bench to be Tellez/Grichuk, Panik, McGuire and 1 of Kirk/Espinal or 9 Man pen and I'm about split on all 3. I think an extra outfielder is the least likely option TBH.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Why would anyone even want him at 190-200 pounds? I don't understand what the expectations even are here. This kid was was realistically ~210 pounds at 16 when we signed him. He will ALWAYS be bigger than average. He quite obviously has a genetic predisposition to holding mass - you can tell from his giant hips.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
He doesn’t look too much thinner here...

Really? he's a lot thinner than where he was.

He's also never going to be a skinny guy, or built like his dad with broad shoulders on a wirey frame. He's always going to be a big guy. You can see it in his proportions. He's going to be big hips, big thighs, wide body. But as long as it's under control that's fine. Maybe in a perfect world he ends up like Frank Thomas, but even if he doesn't it's still not necessarily that bad. As long as he's more Cecil Fielder than Prince Fielder.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why would anyone even want him at 190-200 pounds? I don't understand what the expectations even are here. This kid was was realistically ~210 pounds at 16 when we signed him. He will ALWAYS be bigger than average. He quite obviously has a genetic predisposition to holding mass - you can tell from his giant hips.
His legs are too big and wont allow him to be under 220 lbs.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So it’s confirmed Vlady is playing 1B and Biggio 3B.

Where does that leave Rowdy.

I guess one will play the other DH.

Probable starting lineup right now (just lineup, not batting order)

C: Jansen
1B: Guerrero Jr
2B: Semien
SS: Bichette
3B: Biggio
LF: Gurriel
CF: Springer
RF: Hernandez
DH: Tellez

Bench: Grichuk (OF), Kirk (C), Panik (IF), and 1 potential wild card for guys like Espinal, another OF, McGuire, whatever. It's also possible that Kirk starts out in AAA and McGuire handles the backup C duties just long enough to give Kirk a strong start and playing time with the Bisons and see if there's any of the old 2019 McGuire left in the tank.

The big thing this lineup has going for it though is flexibility. Springer, Hernandez, and Grichuk can easily play most OF positions in basically any alignment if necessary. Biggio can go to the OF in a pinch and also play 2B and 1B. Semien can play any IF position besides 1st. Maybe Vlad shows he's OK enough to get a few reps at 3rd if they need extra thunder in the linup with Rowdy at 1st and someone else DHing. Gurriel's apparently working on adding 3B back into his repertoire after leaving the infield a few years ago.

The benefit of this Jays roster is that you can plug guys into it in any number of configurations and still have a half-decent squad take the field offensively and possibly defensively. So however they need to juggle things to find playing time for everyone, it should be at least workable.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Vladdy's optimal weight target should be 230 at his height and what he wants to accomplish. His power is dependent on his overall body strength. If he turns the weight he is at into pure muscle this guy will be a machine.

But he is definitely slimmer then he was last year at the beginning of camp.

Reactions: Advanced stats

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Probable starting lineup right now (just lineup, not batting order)

C: Jansen
1B: Guerrero Jr
2B: Semien
SS: Bichette
3B: Biggio
LF: Gurriel
CF: Springer
RF: Hernandez
DH: Tellez

Bench: Grichuk (OF), Kirk (C), Panik (IF), and 1 potential wild card for guys like Espinal, another OF, McGuire, whatever. It's also possible that Kirk starts out in AAA and McGuire handles the backup C duties just long enough to give Kirk a strong start and playing time with the Bisons and see if there's any of the old 2019 McGuire left in the tank.

The big thing this lineup has going for it though is flexibility. Springer, Hernandez, and Grichuk can easily play most OF positions in basically any alignment if necessary. Biggio can go to the OF in a pinch and also play 2B and 1B. Semien can play any IF position besides 1st. Maybe Vlad shows he's OK enough to get a few reps at 3rd if they need extra thunder in the linup with Rowdy at 1st and someone else DHing. Gurriel's apparently working on adding 3B back into his repertoire after leaving the infield a few years ago.

The benefit of this Jays roster is that you can plug guys into it in any number of configurations and still have a half-decent squad take the field offensively and possibly defensively. So however they need to juggle things to find playing time for everyone, it should be at least workable.

I believe you will see Grichuk and Tellez platooning at DH depending on pitcher. You will see Tellez spelling Guerrero for rest and Grichuk spelling all 3 OFs.

If Montoyo can get both Grichuk and Tellez into about 130 games each spread out on DH, 1B and OF that is the way to go. You try to keep OFs fresh by playing them 130-145 games a year between DH and OF. You spell players like Semien, Biggio and Bichette rotating the 3 for days off and having Panik for INF depth.

The goal barring injuries should be to provide each player in your starting 8 and Grichuk/Tellez with a rotation that will keep everyone happy with playing time and rest.

Then if injuries occur we have the luxury in both the OF and INF to field a potent lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->